Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285779 - 08/30/17 12:11 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have a couple of dry bags with back pack straps. Great for water tight, but I would not want to carry one any significant distance...
You probably would like carrying a barrel even less, I suspect.

The SealLine Pro Portage looks like the way to go. I haven't used one, but it appears to have a decent adjustable (and removable) suspension system.

#285780 - 08/30/17 12:57 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I feel very lucky to live in a place that is not prone to any natural disasters. Most of my plans are for bugging IN. Like for the occasional heavy snowstorm that could trap us in the house for a few days. Compared to what others have to plan for, getting through a snowstorm is a piece of cake (relatively).

Even my version of a mobile Bug Out Bag is really a Bug In bag geared towards surviving in a stranded car for a few days.

So my Bug Out Bag would definitely NOT survive the Harvey test. Not even close.

#285781 - 08/30/17 02:20 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A properly waterproofed backpack is actually difficult to sink.

#285841 - 09/02/17 06:28 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
a heavy plastic liner is a major bit of canoe tripping gear.
several sizes are avalible.i put an old liner in my Duluth pack and a new one inside that.the old one protects the inner bag.
more than once I have had packs floating in the bilge water during heavy rain.

#285857 - 09/03/17 01:33 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Ren]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If you can find one big enough, Zip-lock makes bags more than big enough for a moderate size duffle bag. Stick it in the end pocket of duffle when not needed. I keep an overnight bag with one in the trunk for when work sends me on site visits. It's normal use is for dirty clothes but will do double duty.

#285862 - 09/03/17 12:54 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have not had very good luck with those extra large zip locks. The plastic is thick enough, but the closure is not reliable. I prefer contractor grade bags, they are larger, more durable, and you can close them easily.

#285864 - 09/03/17 05:03 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

After some more pondering...

An tyre inner tube is the way to improve the buoyancy of a bag suitably waterproofed. And if on land, and need a fire going in wet conditions a bit of rubber does the trick.

No disagreement that a rucksack can float in deep enough water, just flood water may not be that deep.

#285868 - 09/03/17 07:40 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: wildman800]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Wildman800, I agree with your point concerning logistics. I think what most of us do is to easily get lost in the supply side of it. We tend to think in terms of amount; usually a lot. We don't think about time, duration, mobility, and destination in light of our situation. I feel that people need to closely read hot washes and after action reports from any source that they can be attained. And, of course, the input and insights of the Forum members is a great resource. I look forward to your AAR.

#286519 - 09/29/17 01:03 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Re-packing some kits...learning from stories on the news...

#286523 - 09/29/17 03:34 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a case for extra currency in case of a weather emergency ... my military service was from Feb 1970 to the end of the air war in Aug 73 with duty stations in Japan and the Philippines, and multiple TDY to Okinawa and Thailand...spending a lot of off duty time frequenting establishments that served adult beverages served by young female local nationals...to a person, all of the older bar girls wore what we called baht bracelets or "di di mao" (Vietnamese for to leave quickly) bracelets... the baht (Thai) bracelets were inscribed with the weight in grams of the gold that the charm contained...when they accrued a little more money they converted it to another gold charm... they carried their wealth with them, and if threatened, could flee at a moment's notice

faced with a situation with wide spread prolonged power outage as those reported in Puerto Rico, where ATMs, and credit card readers are not operable, coupled with reported runs on banks that could exhaust their cash reserves, you might want to evaluate the amount of currency you have on hand.., perhaps stashing an extra couple hundred in small bills might be a good idea during certain high threat seasons of the year...

Edited by LesSnyder (09/29/17 07:00 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.