Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285744 - 08/29/17 01:05 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: wildman800]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wildman800

Always remember the military axiom: Amateurs speak of tactics, Professionsls speak of Logistics, Logistics, and Logistics. It does no good to field an army and not be able to keep said army supplied with beans, bullets, appropriate clothing, shelter, etc.

Having too much creates logistical issues, so I'm a fan of having just enough.

Even at a household level, this can mean a lot. A bigger freezer to store lots of food; Takes more space (expensive in some places) and power. Prepare the freezer for power loss; add a generator (would not care that much if the content of mine tiny freezer needs to be thrown away). Well, a generator costs money and needs fuel and maintenance. So add fuel cans, spare parts, time and tools for maintenance. Obviously, everybody needs to known how to use everything, in case you are not there. So there is some training involved. Adding things require more and more logistics behind it to keep everything running.

Even professional organisations can turn things into a burden. An example I have seen in Asia; they bought a new fire fighting foam system. But did not integrate it into a regular fire engine. They stuck it in a van. So it always showed up late, very few people are actually trained with it and the end result is; nice new toy, money spent, space was taken at the station and very little actual effect achieved.

And there are so many other examples, where adding things, just makes logistics harder, but does not really help with the end result.

#285748 - 08/29/17 02:06 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Tjin]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Tjin
nice new toy, money spent, space was taken at the station and very little actual effect achieved.

And there are so many other examples, where adding things, just makes logistics harder, but does not really help with the end result.

Those are typical examples of inadequate requirements management. Bad requirements management is one of the top reasons for project failure. Good logistics considers requirements and priorities.

#285768 - 08/29/17 08:48 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

Does make me wonder if a big dry barrel would be useful.

Put bag in barrel, and then hopefully it'll float and won't need to be carried. Just tether it to you with rope/webbing.

#285769 - 08/29/17 09:13 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'm always amazed when I see pictures of people that live on the Tropical Gulf Coast that don't have decent rain gear...wet clothing and any breeze can suck your core body heat pretty rapidly

#285773 - 08/29/17 10:36 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Ren]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Ren
Does make me wonder if a big dry barrel would be useful.

Put bag in barrel, and then hopefully it'll float and won't need to be carried. Just tether it to you with rope/webbing.
A better solution would be to use a dry duffle. Get the kind with shoulder straps. Then you can carry it as a pack on dry land, or tow it behind you in the water, as you suggest. Loaded appropriately, they will easily float. (As long as you don't try to load it with 10,000 rounds of ammo. smile ) In a pinch they might even work as emergency floatation if you accidently step into deeper water.

The SealLine website gives an idea of the range of options available. (Usual disclaimer. No affiliation.... yada yada.) There are other good manufacturers as well.

We have a bunch of these things in various sizes. Small ones that will fit in the hatches of our sea kayaks, as well as big ones that we've used on raft trips. We also use them when traveling coastal areas by water taxi or when flying in via float planes. That way if someone fumbles a bag into the water when unloading on a beach, your stuff stays dry. And if it is pouring down rain when you get to your campsite, your gear stays dry until you get your shelter set up. They should work equally well for anyone who might have to evacuate during flooding.

Edited by AKSAR (08/29/17 10:42 PM)

#285774 - 08/29/17 10:38 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You don't need a barrel,necessarily. Put your packin a plastic bag or wrap carefully in a poncho. Without water or really heavy items, most packs will float surprisingly well. I have done this when forced into the water on canyon trips...

#285775 - 08/29/17 11:29 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Temporarily lost a 75L ruck with a camping gear and weeks worth of food down a stream as a teen, do remember it floating well smile

The idea was the bag+barrel weight displaces water over a greater area, therefore rides higher in the water.
So less drag, and should float in shallower water.
Question is how more effective that'd be than just using a dry bag, for a reasonable sized dry barrel.

#285776 - 08/29/17 11:44 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Ren]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The problem I see with a barrel is that it would be a pain if you need to pack it over land for any distance. What happens if you use it to cross one flooded area, then get to land and have to carry it, then have to cross another flooded area?

The dry duffle like I described above is a much more versatile solution, in my opinion. You can carry it on your back, take it off and float it, then easily put it back on your back.

How high either one floats will depend entirely on how full and heavy you pack it.

Edited by AKSAR (08/29/17 11:44 PM)

#285777 - 08/29/17 11:52 PM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Can use a barrel harness, which would be kept dry inside the barrel when crossing water.

A dry bag/duffle with removable straps would be cool. Ah Sea to Summit has one, so they do exist. Seems better option than having your straps dragged through the water.

Edited by Ren (08/29/17 11:58 PM)

#285778 - 08/30/17 12:00 AM Re: Would your Bug Out Bag pass the Harvey test? [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have a couple of dry bags with back pack straps. Great for water tight, but I would not want to carry one any significant distance...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.