The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#285634 - 08/26/17 12:12 AM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One thing I noticed when assisting the RN with her first aid treatment. She did not use a standard first aid kit bag; she had a Sterilite storage container (they come in many sizes). Everything is in zip-lock bags; open the top of the container and all the contents are visible. I picked one up at Home Depot to use as the FAK in my truck. FWIW

#285637 - 08/26/17 01:28 AM Re: My Checklistm [Re: MoBOB]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Someone else may be better informed about how to deal with an open sucking chest wound. Saran wrap and petroleum has been stated as an option. Others insight is welcome.

A purpose-made chest seal is hands-down the way to go. My trauma kits have a Hyfin Vent Twin Pack -- because sucking chest wounds often have exit wounds associated with them.

Either Saran Wrap or petrolatum gauze (pre-impregnated with petroleum jelly) is way better than nothing but if I don't have a real chest seal I would prefer good tape plus a ziploc bag. Cut the ziploc open in two halves, tape three sides (the zipper side should be cut off or used as the venting side) and if you can get your patient to exhale and hold it for a moment apply it then. It's entirely acceptable to tape all four sides to create a non-venting seal if that's the protocol you were trained to use.

#285645 - 08/26/17 12:21 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: LesSnyder]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
don't overlook the need for a couple of good 5-7 day coolers for any perishable foods you have on hand... one to store food, one to transport ice... freeze gallon jugs of water prior to an event

The thread is about my preps, not the household preps. Nevertheless, this brings up a thought provoking question. I don't have the exact date the middle east will go nuclear and I don't know how long it will take to impact the rest of the world. How can I transport ice before the event?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285652 - 08/26/17 06:09 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Russ]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
One thing I noticed when assisting the RN with her first aid treatment. She did not use a standard first aid kit bag; she had a Sterilite storage container (they come in many sizes). Everything is in zip-lock bags; open the top of the container and all the contents are visible. I picked one up at Home Depot to use as the FAK in my truck. FWIW

I am starting to do this too. Water and dust proof. Add a red cross on top so others know what it is. ( Gloves on top)

#285658 - 08/26/17 07:09 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
... Add a red cross on top so others know what it is. ( Gloves on top)
I actually did that, large J&J Red Cross logo off a box of something. And yes, there are gloves on top in zip-lock bags with N95 face masks, along with towelettes to clean your hands without getting into the kit.

#285697 - 08/28/17 12:01 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Embrace the limits of portable kits:
Nobody can afford to stockpile enough stuff to prepare for an extended duration mass casualty incident, not even big, well-run hospitals: capital cost, product deterioration over time, storage space and reluctance to spend scarce resources militate against it. Everybody relies on the supply chain remaining intact.

First aid kits, ambulances, and emergency rooms are designed to provide care for the first hour or so of injury or illness. The rest of the plan is transport to a place where the patient can receive definitive care. If the transport piece or the definitive care piece are absent, no amount of first aid training, supplies or good will will save the patient needing more care.

If the trucks and trains stop running, we will be back to 19th century medicine pretty quickly. If you want to know what that will be like, volunteer for a medical mission trip to anywhere, or find someone who has been there.

I can do a dissertation on ether anesthesia, home-made IV fluids and epsom salts, but nobody really wants that...

#285699 - 08/28/17 12:17 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: nursemike]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: nursemike
I can do a dissertation on ether anesthesia, home-made IV fluids and epsom salts, but nobody really wants that...

What did you want to say regarding Epsom salt?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285727 - 08/29/17 01:47 AM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
warm soaks with epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) will speed wound healing, reduce swelling in orthopedic injuries > 48-72 post injury, soothes tired muscles, and improves foot health
Given intravenously, mag sulfate prevents seizures in patients with eclampsia and porphyria, and improves heart attack outcomes. Taken orally, it is a dandy laxative, which could be an important consideration for people subsisting on a survival diet rich in mre's and datrex bars, poor in dietary fiber. cheap to buy, easy to store, and it is what we will be using to treat skin infections when we run out of antibiotics or are confronted with antibiotic resistant bacteria.

#285833 - 09/01/17 07:38 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I built a kit to replace the AMK Ultralight 3. The following are the supplies I currently have, not including what I have in my first aid kits:

FIRST AID SUPPLIES

(1) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(1) Respirator Mask
(98) Nitrile Glove
(49) Biohazard Waste Bag
(10) Triangular Bandage
(23) Trauma Pad, 5"x9"
(24) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(4) Petroleum Gauze, 3" x 9"
(4) Benzoin Swabsticks
(2) Irrigation Syringe, 60cc
(7) Stretch Gauze, 3"x12 yd.
(?) Sterile Gauze Pad, 3"x3"
(1) Disposable Penlight
(15) Non-Adherent Dressing, 3" x 4"
(200) Alcohol Prep Pad
(98) Waterproof Adhesive Bandage, 1" x 3"
(78) Plastic Bandage, 0.75" x 3"
(98) Flex-Fabric Knuckle Bandage
(98) Flex-Fabric Fingertip Bandage
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 4" x 4.5 yds.
(2) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 3" x 4.5 yds.
(2) Cloth Tape, 1" x 10 yds.
(2) AfterBite
(2) CoFlex, 2"
(50) Cough Drops
(232) Alka-Seltzer
(6) Aspirin, 81 mg, 36 Count

ORAL CARE

(10) Philips Sonicare Brush Heads
(?) Toothbrushes, 0.75 OZ Toothpaste, 4 M Dental Floss (from dental visits)
(2) Toothpaste, 5.5 OZ
(1) Toothpaste, 6.0 OZ

PERSONAL PROTECTION

(6) Lip Balm
(9) Carmex
(1) Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, 8 OZ
(1) Bens 30% Deet Tick & Insect Repellent, 1.25 OZ

FOOD AND WATER

(288) Bottled Water, 8 OZ
(7) Premier Protein, 18 Bars
(5) Nutritional Supplement, 24 Pack
(3) Toast Chee Cracker Sandwiches, 8 Pack
(2) Toast Chee Cracker Sandwiches, 20 Pack

OTHER

(1) Case of Facial Tissue, 30 Boxes
(9) Kleenex Go Packs

Here are the supplies I plan to get.

(80) Bottled Water, 8 OZ
(3) Nutritional Supplement, 24 Pack
(1) Premier Protein, 18 Bars
(400) Alcohol Prep Pad
(4) Aspirin, 81 mg, 36 Count

I may or may not get more lip balm.

I was told I need more self-adhesive bandages. Here again is my supply of self-adhesive bandages. I think I have enough.

(98) Waterproof Adhesive Bandage, 1" x 3"
(78) Plastic Bandage, 0.75" x 3"
(98) Flex-Fabric Knuckle Bandage
(98) Flex-Fabric Fingertip Bandage

I have two 2" rolls of CoFlex. I was told I need more. I have not worked with CoFlex. I don't know how many rolls I will need.

I was told I could never have too many rolls of tape. I agree.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285882 - 09/04/17 01:14 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Mom and I are leaving town on September 17 and will be returning around the time I believe the brimstone will hit the fan. That gives me less than two weeks to finish my preps.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.