Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285608 - 08/25/17 06:38 PM Lets talk Eton radios...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Eton is my go-to portable radio. Small, crank, solar and ( can be) dc powered and some have cell phone chargers. And a flashlight!

#285613 - 08/25/17 07:52 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My go-to radio is a CountyComm GP-5 SSB. AM/FM (FM stereo w/ headphones) and SW. The radio is also available as the Kaito Kaito/Tecsun PL-360.

As the name implies, the latest CountyComm version receives SW in either upper or lower single sideband (previous versions did not have SSB). (I must add that I don't listen to SW so I won't comment on how well it does with SW reception.) The radio has digital signal processing and is a fairly capable receiver for being so small. It is powered by 3xAA batteries. I use Eneloop AA batteries which can be recharged while in the radio via USB cable. I usually recharge batteries separately and can do that easily with a Goal Zero solar charger.

Both versions of the radio have Tecsun's ETM (Easy Tuning Method). Select a band, hit the ETM button and the radio makes an internal list of all active local stations. Then when you using the tuning knob, the radio switches directly from station to station, skipping the noise in between. I haven't done any tests using ETM to bring in distant, weaker stations, manual tuning may be required.

Antennas: It has a standard telescoping FM antenna. AM uses a standard internal ferrite bar but it also comes with (in the box) a separate directional AM antenna that can be plugged into the top and turned for better reception independent of the radio. I like the external AM antenna; it does a good job reducing noise. For SW reception, a long wire antenna is available separately which as I recall clips to the FM antenna.

No affiliation other than as a customer.

#285633 - 08/26/17 12:09 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if I can expand the discussion...a 9 day power outage provides a lot of down time in a hot wet environment... I have an older Grundig (Eaton) hand crank radio, but what gets most of the use is a small portable digital TV... it has an included battery, but I run it off a 12vdc trolling motor battery... a rabbit ear VHF/UHF antenna and cable supplements a 25' length of coaxial cable with a double female connector allows me to connect to the cable if it is operational... a 12vdc female cigarette lighter receptacle with battery clips allows a viewing option off your car battery

my emergency weather alert radio is a Reecom

#285636 - 08/26/17 01:20 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It's possible that I have too many radios for what's good for me.

Our storm shelter room has a small Eaton AM/FM/WX plus flashlight with a hand crank that works surprisingly well. I put a CountyComm GP-5 SSB is in both main emergency kits.

Broadcast TV isn't viable where I live, so I haven't invested in a battery powered option there.

#286373 - 09/21/17 06:39 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Learning more about the Eton's. Replacing the batteries and possibly getting chargers.

#286435 - 09/24/17 04:33 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

would prefer a similar radio - but running off a 9-volt battery. something a little larger. not for a backpack, but for home/auto. The main thing is to have an excellent antenna - a larger antenna. when I have had small portable radios in the past, the problem has always been signal reception.

I took a look at Eton and Kaito. For my purposes ... they are missing a couple of options.
1. Need option for normal batteries ... either a bunch of AA-batteries, or 9-volt.
2. Need a re-charging cord for an automobile plug-in.

A lot of these radios don't have these 2 options, but they are important.

Edited by Pete (09/24/17 05:11 PM)

#286442 - 09/24/17 07:44 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mentioned before here is the CountyComm GP-5 SSB ( GEN 3 ) General Purpose Radio available at CountyComm and as the Kaito/Tecsun PL360 (places like Amazon).

The CountyComm version is SSB capable, all use digital signal processing (DSP). It's a pretty good radio and has excellent AM reception IMO. The separate AM antenna that plugs in via 3.5mm jack gives a bit more antenna directional gain and is a better at receiving weaker signals.

SW shares the FM antenna, so a long wire can be attached for better SW reception. FM stereo only with a headset.

It seems like "emergency radios" have to have a hand-crank for power. I won't go there. I have a good supply of AA lithium primaries and a solar panel that can easily charge AA NiMH batteries.

#286444 - 09/24/17 08:51 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"It seems like "emergency radios" have to have a hand-crank for power. I won't go there. I have a good supply of AA lithium primaries and a solar panel that can easily charge AA NiMH batteries. "

I hear you. I would like all power options - AC mains, auto, standard batteries. I thought about re-chargeable batteries. I am just debating where it is "worth the effort" of keeping another device in my home ... a battery charger where I am constantly swapping re-chargeable batteries in and out. To be honest, I think that having a stack of 9-volt Eveready batteries is probably just as easy for me ... simpler.

Or alternatively, just have a radio that runs off the 12-volt supply from storage batteries ... car, motorcycle, or golf cart. Then you really would have a long-life battery.

Just my thoughts.

#286449 - 09/24/17 10:24 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I wrote a review of the previous version of the Countycomm radio Russ mentioned: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...rue#Post264506. I would definitely recommend the current version.

#286452 - 09/25/17 04:02 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I have the Tecsun PL-660 radio. Very capable and reliable radio which has held up after 3 years of use and abuse. Takes 4 x AA rechargeable NiMH batteries which can be charged in the radio or via a standalone NiMH charger.

John Lubbock

#286453 - 09/25/17 07:03 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have an emergency crank/solar/battery radio which I use every day (some brandless thing I bought a decade ago). It's nowhere near sunlight and I don't crank it either. It runs for maybe to a year without me changing the batteries.

To me, that kind of indicates that the crank and solar are just a bit overkill and the batteries will last plenty long. All the extra bits just make things bigger and more complex.

#286457 - 09/25/17 04:20 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

Radiojayallen.com is an exceptional resource for radio info.

Edited to add...here is his review of the county comm radio mentioned above.

https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-pl-365countycomm-gp-5ssb-amfmsw-radio-with-ssb/

Edited by Ratch (09/25/17 04:53 PM)

#286508 - 09/28/17 05:56 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Woot has a sale on an Eton radio, emergency flashlight and portable charger for $49.99

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/eton-radio-blackout-buddy-clipray-1?ref=w_cnt_gw_zlm_nd_4

Standard disclaimer: No affiliation with Woot or any of the companies mentioned other than being a Woot customer and owner of Eton radios but not that Eton model.

#286509 - 09/28/17 07:08 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I was just looking at that one, wondering if it's a decent unit. In my situation I don't have a lot of need for one but the charging & hand crank phone charging could be useful.

#286512 - 09/28/17 02:37 PM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

The Eton Blackout Buddy that's part of the deal is an excellent unit of its type. I have a couple and they've survived quite a bit of abuse. Money well spent.

The other two components of the deal are for devices I haven't handled myself, but Eton has a good reputation for those sorts of things.

#286516 - 09/29/17 12:57 AM Re: Lets talk Eton radios... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...Pulled the rechargeable battery out of mine -- Its a standard cordless phone battery - Now to order fresh ones...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.