Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286050 - 09/10/17 07:45 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Tirec]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tirec
I assumed that given the contents list, the kit was not mobile, and at that point, knowing BP for victims helps when they get beyond the basic ABC treatment.

I'd think that non-electric thermometers are still available at places like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. If not, they're fairly cheap online from Walmart or Amazon.

For your brimstone planning, you may want to add a copy of Dr. Alton's "Survival Medicine Handbook". http://amzn.to/2bEExXR

Dr. Alton writes from the position that there may be an interruption of service for some time, and modern medical treatments may not be available. As such, he includes some older treatments that are better than not treating at all.

Training, Training, Training.

Very well said.

I was privileged to take a suturing class from Dr and Nurse Alton and it was excellent. They were very clear that suturing is not to be done in the field and not to be done when higher levels of medical care is available.

#286051 - 09/10/17 07:45 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Tirec]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tirec
I assumed that given the contents list, the kit was not mobile, and at that point, knowing BP for victims helps when they get beyond the basic ABC treatment.

My kits are mobile. I used the Home & Vehicle Bag to make one of my kits.

http://www.chinookmed.com/01385rd/home-vehicle-bag.html

The Traveler Bag to make a second.

http://www.chinookmed.com/01422rd/traveler-bag.html

And I modified this kit.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/first-aid-kit-351-pieces/prod20200504.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Jeanette Isabelle

#286155 - 09/12/17 05:23 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am making more checklists because they work...

#286462 - 09/25/17 07:03 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I will be back at Sam's Club soon, like next week. I plan to get two more cases of bottled water, one box of protein bars, three cases of nutritional shakes and a box Zone Bars. Zone Bars come in handy for electrolyte replacement.

Jeanette Isabelle

#286465 - 09/25/17 07:35 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in addition to checklist, it is nice if you have the room, to place all of your weather related equipment in the same closet or shelving area

#286466 - 09/25/17 09:02 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
in addition to checklist, it is nice if you have the room, to place all of your weather related equipment in the same closet or shelving area

I have my jacket, long coat and gloves in the coat closet.

I'm in north-central Florida, now. I don't need as much as I did as when I lived in Texas.

Jeanette Isabelle

#286520 - 09/29/17 01:04 AM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the BIG reason for checklists and labels on boxes is if we have to pack and I'm not home.

#286732 - 10/12/17 08:17 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Not including other sources, I now have 460 8 oz bottles of drinking water. If I drink four a day, the supply will last me 115 days. That is a quart a day which is half of what a person needs. Should I get more?

Jeanette Isabelle

#286733 - 10/12/17 08:31 PM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Situations vary, but I believe your daily needs are more like a gallon a day. I would recommend acquiring items and procedures so that you can upgrade questionable water sources to drinking quality. Your capability will be much greater then.

For most sources, all you need to do is boil the water - that will kill everything. Chemical contamination, if that is an issue, is more complex.

#286736 - 10/13/17 05:18 AM Re: My Checklist [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I believe it depends a bit. If you're sitting at home and not exerting yourself you likely don't need a gallon of water per day for drinking. Probably more like two quarts. Depending on what you eat a lot of the water can come from food. Of course, if it's very hot or very cold, or if you're working hard...you'll need more water.

It seems prudent to have a mix of stored water and water treatment options. Larger containers are much more economical than bottled water but for convenience a mix of both is probably good. In my current home I have a mix of larger Aquatainers and gallon jugs of water purchased at Wal-Mart. The latter is about $.88/gallon and has a shelf life of a year (and of course, after that it's still water- I can boil it, use chlorine/chlorine dioxide, etc). I don't store as much water right now as I did at my last place but I live very close to the largest reservoir in the state of SD.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.