Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 50 of 57 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#301700 - 05/28/23 11:37 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I am not fan of throwing anything, no matter how useless it is. So, I used the Dremel to cut their blades to 2.5 inches. They are not less cheap now, but since the blades are much shorter now, they are more controllable and useable. They sit on the workbench and already started using them. They save better knives for more important jobs

Good thinking. All of my workspaces have a junk blade for scut work.

I do not have a workbench, and my shop skills are limited. However, it seems like you both can handle any challenges that may arise.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301702 - 05/29/23 06:48 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I had to replace rechargeables for my emergency / protable HAM system. I decided to go LiFePO4 technology. It basically cut the weight by 60% and increased capacity from 17 Ah to 30 Ah.
Getting a significant discount for testing it was some icing on the cake.

#301703 - 05/29/23 12:19 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: M_a_x]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
I decided to go LiFePO4 technology. It basically cut the weight by 60% and increased capacity from 17 Ah to 30 Ah.

Was this a direct replacement for a lead acid battery? I hear interesting things about LiFePO4 battery chemistry. How do you charge it? Please report back on your experience.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/29/23 12:21 PM)

#301704 - 05/29/23 12:56 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: dougwalkabout]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Yes, it is a direct replacement. The housing has the same size as the replaced lead acid battery. I use the charger I used for the lead acid batteries or a solar panel with a regulator. The rechargeable has a built in battery management system. So it is fairly unproblematic.
The solar panel has 10 W. I might upgrade to more power.

#301708 - 05/30/23 09:38 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
On the LiFePO4 batteries you need to read the fine print because most are advertised as being a drop in replacement. They are lighter and have far more capacity than a equally sized lead acid battery. But most lead acid battery chargers do not charge at a high enough voltage to completely charge the battery.

I have a Dakota Lithium starting battery in my truck. It is a drop in replacement for an automotive group 24 battery. It weighs 27 pounds and has 135 Amp hours. So it is much lighter and has significantly more energy than the lead acid battery it replaced. The problem with this is that the alternator in my truck is controlled by the ecu which only allows for the voltage to peak at 13.8 volts or so. To completely charge the battery to 100% it requires 14.4 volts. So I wired in an Anderson power pole into the grill and I use that to plug in a lithium battery charger or a solar panel that uses a charge controller on the lithium setting to get a full charge into the battery.

#301709 - 05/30/23 10:52 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's good to know. Given the price point, I'm surprised there isn't a built-in puck to bump up the voltage for maximum charging.

#301710 - 05/30/23 11:44 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Today, my mom ordered an EMP Shield for our home.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301711 - 05/31/23 04:07 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

How does that work?
As far as I know the only thing than prevents EMP is Faradays cage.

#301712 - 05/31/23 05:10 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Jeanette Isabelle

I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade. However before spending money on one of these, I would do a bit of research. The website for this product makes a lot of strong claims, with little or no supporting technical data.

For an interesting discussion on redit see:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Skookum/comments/crcfj3/empshield_i_suspect_this_is_complete_insert crude term for bull excrement_but/ (Word in red blocked by censor.)
For just on example:
Quote:
Their 3rd party testing is complete {that censored word again}. They hooked it to a household electrical panel with a bunch of household romex wiring wired to it. The panel was not powered up during testing and neither was the device. Most importantly, there are no end devices hooked to the test setup.
--------------snip--------------
Listed in the Homeland Security EMP resilience report? Didn't have time to read it? Fear not, I read it for you. Deep down, the report provided reviews of eight companies that provide legitimate shielding technologies. EMP shield was not one of them. However, they were mentioned in a one-liner footnote among five other companies as "other vendors supplying EMP rated filters...". Whoooo, another shining accolade there. Again, anyone can be listed as a vendor for any government agency. Doesn't mean they endorse or use your product.

For a more technical discussion on an electronics forum, see:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/emp-shield-scam/

The bottom line is that at best, it appears this device might do the same thing as any number of other surge protectors on the market, except that it costs a lot more. The claim that it will protect your whole house and all your gadgets from a nuclear bomb generated EMP is probably bogus. I believe Herman30 is correct:
Originally Posted By: Herman30

Caveat Emptor!

#301713 - 05/31/23 01:29 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30
How does that work?

Although I am not familiar with the detailed mechanisms, as per the explanation provided to me, the gadget sends the electromagnetic pulse to the ground.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 50 of 57 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.