The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#285486 - 08/16/17 11:22 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: unimogbert]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The old joke from the Vietnam War error, we'll bomb them back to the stone age because it's very far from where they already were then.

#285488 - 08/17/17 07:42 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Interesting map, but don't think for a minute that picture was released without the N.Koreans aware those targets were showing. Those listed were obvious, a major west coast naval base, a B-52 base in Louisiana and the nation's capitol. What additional targets were not shown on the map? I can think of a number off the top of my head.

Same thoughts. Seattle (Puget Sound, Bangor), Santa Barbara (Vandenberg), and Los Angeles(Major hub airport and sea port)come to mind.

EMP is a bit of an odd duck. Because of the physics involved, it actually does the most damage further out from the detonation. Because of the technological dependency of the US, and the ability to detonate a ways out, that's probably going to be the opening move. How much warning it gives us when the various communication nets go down is anybodies guess.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#285491 - 08/17/17 02:29 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
No warning whatsoever. EMP travels at the speed of light, only slowing down when it hits resistance which would be something to take out. The real question is how well does the EM energy couple to the various devices that are vulnerable to being taken out.

Not all cars/trucks are the same and just because it's new tech doesn't necessarily mean it's an easy kill. The EM needs a way into the system and for a car on the road not hooked up to the grid the actual amount of EM energy is not that much per square meter. The national electric grid has these very long antennas which we refer to as power lines. That's why most of the destruction would be done to the grid itself and electronics attached to the grid.

A lot of folks have solar systems on their roof and while they may be susceptible individually, most are also hooked up to the grid. After an event those solar systems are toast.

An AM/FM/SW radio with an antenna deployed is inviting the EM energy in so it might be good to have a back-up or three; AM/FM battery powered radios are cheap. I keep my back-up radios in a steel ammo can. That said, what will you listen to?? I'll bet most radio/TV/cable stations are hooked up to the grid; when they go down, the national ham radio network will be pretty much all that remains in the short term. On that note, I need a VHF scanner for finding local ham transmissions.

#285498 - 08/17/17 05:44 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Russ]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Whilst it is well to be prepared for an EMP attack, this is only likely if a nuclear weapon is detonated at high altitude.

EMP is more or less line of sight, so for nuclear explosion near ground level the effect is very local, and probably largely confined to the area already substantial destroyed by the explosion.

A large scale EMP attack would effectively end the modern age.
I would not expect ANY consumer electronics to survive unless unusually well shielded.
Nor would I expect any modern vehicles to run unless they happened to be parked deep underground at the time.

There is no advance warning of an EMP attack, as has already been said it moves at the speed of light.

#285499 - 08/17/17 07:55 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Per the Soviet 1965 Plan, they were going to NuDet 5 "weather" satellites that councidentally would be stretched across the country from Los Angeles to Maine.

Such plans have been around for a long time.

#285535 - 08/21/17 12:55 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If religious extremism is the motivation behind an attack, population density will enter into the equation. Example: a nuclear missile could be launched against a densely populated area of Israel from another part of the middle east.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285538 - 08/21/17 03:27 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And that's why the Israeli's keep such tight border control and have developed the Iron Dome anti-missile system, among many other aspects of their security system.

#285574 - 08/24/17 02:56 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
mattbpkt Offline
Stranger

NK has everything to lose and nothing to gain if they attack the US. Nuclear weapons are predominantly a way of securing the safety of your people from invasion. Look at Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein. If they had nukes we would have never overthrown Gaddafi or charged into a war with Hussein. Iran and NK's race to nukes are a direct response to this history.

#285575 - 08/24/17 12:58 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: mattbpkt]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

No, these countries have been pursuing nuclear weapons for much longer than that, and not in response to events in Iraq and Libya.

#285870 - 09/03/17 07:59 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Communications centers should be the priority. Satellite comms will be quickly overloaded. After that, power centers, particularly nuclear power plants and hydroelectric. The advantage of going after hydro power is that there is the added "benefit" of potential catastrophic flooding. Further, the nuclear plants could cause a Chernobyl-type event. This is a bad thing to be thinking about. It makes me anxious. I better go eat a piece of cake.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.