The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285447 - 08/14/17 06:14 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom is taking the threat of a nuclear attack seriously. We know we need to stay indoors. She wants to get a detector to find out where the leaks are, what's safe and what isn't.

Russ recommended the Ranger and Adam 2 said the Gem 2. When it comes to detecting radiation after an attack, we know nothing. In the most basic terms, what do we need and need to know?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285448 - 08/14/17 07:07 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I think it will depend in your personal situation.

Let me explain why I asked this question. I live in California, in a place where there are a lot of winds. In my location, winds from the San Joaquin Valley are funneled past my house. I know this because we have had a lot of pollen and fine dust in the air. It is getting picked up and funneled by the wind. Therefore, if there was a situation with contaminated dust in Central CA, my specific location location would not be good.

After thinking about the replies here, i decided on a very simple strategy ... for the time being. I will get a very simple device, of the type described by Adam2. This idea is attractive because "personal monitors" are much lower cost. Also, if i understand the technology, these personal monitors can "add up" your radiation exposure (compute your total radiation exposure over time). This is a good feature. I will place mine on the patio of my house, where it is protected from weather, but it will see the breeze.

My strategy is that if there is a nuclear incident, and my nuclear monitor switches to yellow, i will evacuate to a safer location. I am not saying that everyone needs to do this. My house just happens to get a lot of wind-blown dust.

I do not think that people should panic, or be overly worried about what is said in the news. I am skeptical that N. Korea could really mount an atomic bomb on a missile and send it to the USA - with a reliable chance of success. I do not think they have the capability to do this yet, and we shouldn't let their "war of words" disturb our peace. I do think that the USA is confronting N. Korea at exactly the right time :-)

Edited by Pete (08/14/17 07:26 PM)

#285449 - 08/14/17 07:49 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
I do not think that people should panic, or be overly worried about what is said in the news. I am skeptical that N. Korea could really mount an atomic bomb on a missile and send it to the USA - with a reliable chance of success. I do not think they have the capability to do this yet, and we shouldn't let their "war of words" disturb our peace. I do think that the USA is confronting N. Korea at exactly the right time :-)

I stated in another thread why I believe a nuclear attack will happen, if not now, later. It is, for this reason, I'm glad Mom is seriously considering a detector.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285456 - 08/15/17 12:30 AM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

It doesnt hurt to educate yourself and think about the options now. Sooner or later a nuclear device will be used in the world - I just hope its not on US soil. But no-one can predict the future. We don't even know what Kim Jong-Un will do in N. Korea.

Good luck and blessings.

#285461 - 08/15/17 02:57 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I will post an update after i talk to various companies that sell these detectors.

#285476 - 08/16/17 03:58 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Have a search around for a 'Spinthariscope'.

Ancient technology, very, very easy to make and use. They won't calculate dose for you but indicate radiation reliably, use no power supply and have no shelf life. I bought one years ago for a couple of quid, they seem to have gone up in price but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Also an old paraffin (kerosene) lamp mantle may be used to check if a detector is working. The old Thorium type give off significant amounts of alpha particles. Since around 1995 yttrium has been used though which is not radioactive.

#285477 - 08/16/17 05:30 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Unless you have a personal space to hang out in for a very extended period - a radiation shelter stocked with lots of food, water and other supplies - what is the use of a radiation detector? The knowledge to stay inside, stay shielded as best you can, etc. would be your guiding principles. Would a detector materially alter what you do?

A detector might tell you just how bad it is out there, but since there's nothing you can do about it, who cares? I would think a good reference book on how radiation spreads, how to protect yourself from it, etc. would be the better resource to have. Knowledge.

#285480 - 08/16/17 05:48 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Would a detector tell us where the leaks are so that we may patch them? What if all the patching in the world is not helping and we need to get out of Dodge very quickly?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285481 - 08/16/17 05:55 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: Pete]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
You know how sometimes when it rains you get a little and the next street gets a hosing? Radiation from a bomb is like that.

The initial radiation cannot be avoided but, by definition, does not last long. Fallout is subject to the vagaries of the wind and weather, perhaps you have none a mile away upwind from GZ, perhaps it 'rains out' and you have a lot just on you an hour later.

Fine particles go almost to space and get distributed around the world for years being diluted as they go, A ground burst also kicks up pebbles on which the radiation 'condenses' that fall out of the sky quite close and quickly. And there is everything in between. Air bursts are the most likely scenario as they do more damage (energy is not wasted digging a hole in the ground) and the fallout is minimal compared to a ground burst. You may not need to shelter for a "very extended period" probably just a couple of hours.

How do you know what you have without measuring your surroundings.

We have already experienced a nuclear war and many, many survived, even close to GZ.

You are actually very likely to survive a nuclear strike and the subsequent radiation

#285648 - 08/26/17 03:23 PM Re: Radiation Detectors [Re: haertig]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: haertig
Unless you have a personal space to hang out in for a very extended period - a radiation shelter stocked with lots of food, water and other supplies - what is the use of a radiation detector? The knowledge to stay inside, stay shielded as best you can, etc. would be your guiding principles. Would a detector materially alter what you do?

A detector might tell you just how bad it is out there, but since there's nothing you can do about it, who cares? I would think a good reference book on how radiation spreads, how to protect yourself from it, etc. would be the better resource to have. Knowledge.

Radiation tends to fade quite quickly. You don't need a "very extended period". Most should be gone in a fortnight, and even 3 days will make a big difference. It's exponential.

I would hope that a survival detector would help one decide when it is safe to leave your shelter. Your probably safe to wait two weeks, but if you run out of food and means to dispose of waste after one, then being able to leave earlier could be invaluable. The alternative is to wait until the authorities give the all-clear, and who knows what criteria they are using?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.