Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#285422 - 08/13/17 06:53 PM Nuclear Targets-What are they?
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
What are the priority nuclear targets in any country?

Priority 1: Strategic military installations(missile launch facilities, communications centers, command centers, 5,000 ft or longer runways, etc)

Priority 2: State capitals, major terrestrial transportation junctions (Rivers, canals, interstates, railroads)

Priority 3: Tactical support bases

I've listed these off the top of my head. There are quite a few more in each of the priority lists, help me out and list what I missed.

#285426 - 08/13/17 07:32 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
N. Korea can get two disasters for the price of one if a rocket sets off a chain reaction creating an earthquake.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285430 - 08/14/17 03:39 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Population centers are sometimes listed as targets. Certainly military facilities and key pieces of infrastructure (eg dams, bridges, power plants, etc).

#285436 - 08/14/17 05:56 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

"Here are the US targets North Korea most likely wants to nuke," Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-likely-nuclear-targets-us-icbm-2017-7

Edited by Bingley (08/14/17 05:57 AM)

#285438 - 08/14/17 10:33 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Under present circumstances, I feel that one could easily "over think" what the exact target might be.

It remains to be seen how accurate hastily developed missiles will be. I consider it probable that the target might well be "America" rather than a particular bridge, dam, power plant, or other strategic target.

Whilst we know that they have the bomb, and also have long range missiles, it is possible that bombs small and light enough to be delivered by missile are not yet available.

Other modes of delivery exist including a Bomb delivered by cargo ship and onward by a trucking firm, or a Bomb dropped from a modified civilian airliner on an apparently legitimate flight to a USA airport. Or a short range missile fired from a ship.

#285439 - 08/14/17 11:38 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
N. Korea has its state-run airline. Does anyone know if any of their flights go to the U.S.? If so, all N. Korea has to do is load a bomb aboard one of their planes and detonate it when it reaches the U.S.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285440 - 08/14/17 02:20 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
N. Korea has its state-run airline. Does anyone know if any of their flights go to the U.S.? If so, all N. Korea has to do is load a bomb aboard one of their planes and detonate it when it reaches the U.S.

Jeanette Isabelle
I seriously doubt there are any flights to the US. i haven't noticed any "NukeAir" terminals at LAX recently, or Burbank either....

#285442 - 08/14/17 02:26 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Pete Offline
Veteran

For N. Korea to have a "success", they only need to get a bomb to the mainland of the USA. I seriously doubt that their rockets have enough accuracy to hit pinpoint targets. Its more likely, therefore, that they would try to attack very large cities.

I agree with the comment above. They can use other means to carry a nuclear weapon. It's conceivable they could put a nuclear bomb in an airliner, a fishing vessel, a cargo boat, or a submarine. This is challenging for our Coast Guard and Navy - they must search everything. But its a much bigger problem for Asia, where N. Korean vessels sail regularly.

A North Korean trawler, with a nuclear bomb hidden aboard, is probably a much bigger threat than an ICBM. Or for that matter, N. Korea could take an old cargo vessel with markings from another country such as China, and use that vessel as a weapon.

Edited by Pete (08/14/17 02:41 PM)

#285443 - 08/14/17 03:06 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting map, but don't think for a minute that picture was released without the N.Koreans aware those targets were showing. Those listed were obvious, a major west coast naval base, a B-52 base in Louisiana and the nation's capitol. What additional targets were not shown on the map? I can think of a number off the top of my head.

That said, close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons. By that measure, I'm "close" to one of the targets listed; I'm not concerned. THAAD and Aegis anti-ballistic missile systems currently deployed are real.

#285483 - 08/16/17 10:18 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
EMP is more of an area weapon so targeting isn't so critical.

Heck, even if the thing accidentally detonates on the launch pad it won't set N Korea back very much compared to a western civilization that uses electronics and electric lighting.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.