Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#286474 - 09/26/17 05:22 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

But it's not NK that is an immediate threat to the Western world broadly, and I'm rather puzzled at the amount of click-bait ink being expended. I guess it's an easy story, and any speculation gets play.

I suppose the difference nowadays is that our leader frequently seems as unhinged as theirs. That at least gives the media an angle to push as they crank up the FUD that drives the 24 hour news cycle. There has to be a crisis to sell advertising, etc.

Still I don't think we're going to get into a nuclear shooting war with DPRK...but we will see.

#286475 - 09/26/17 11:06 AM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: hikermor]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Given the destructive power available, would anyone "win"? The novel "On the Beach" might come true....(movie as well....)

IMHO, there would be no winners from an all out nuclear war, such as was feared in the past.
However I do not foresee a large scale nuclear war with NK. More likely is that the dear leader will launch a single weapon or at the very worst a handful of weapons against the USA or allies. Shortly afterwards I expect that NK will be attacked with devastating force and will effectively cease to exist.
In such a case one could reasonably state that NK had lost and that the USA had won.

An attack on the USA with even a single nuclear weapon could kill millions, or put in more optimistic terms, tens of millions would survive.
The disruption to utility services, government, and food or fuel supply could well be national, hence the need for preparations.
If you are too close to the bomb, then there is almost no hope of survival, but for millions a bit further away, survival might depend on what preps they had made.

#286476 - 09/26/17 12:36 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Has anyone considered their approach to unexploded nuclear weapons?

I was told sometime ago that because of the extreme environment that warheads are exposed to that some third of them are expected not to explode and probably would remain intact on impact.

At a conference I asked a bomb disposal officer for New York how they would deal with them, his reply, "we have been told to kick them and if they don't go off cart them away"

I suppose if reentry and/or impact does not set off a warhead it may be presumed safe.

Just how robust are the triggers?

#286478 - 09/26/17 01:57 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: Ian]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"At a conference I asked a bomb disposal officer for New York how they would deal with them, his reply, "we have been told to kick them and if they don't go off cart them away"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Remind me not to apply for that job :-)

#286479 - 09/26/17 02:09 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: wildman800]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There have been a few aircraft accidents and other incidents where nuclear bombs have been involved, none detonated. To go critical, a nuclear warhead must be initiated in a very specific and precise manner.

With the velocity of a missile coming down, especially one that could reach the US from Korea, I doubt anything would survive the impact intact even if it did not detonate.

#286480 - 09/26/17 02:16 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: adam2]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: adam2
The disruption to utility services, government, and food or fuel supply could well be national, hence the need for preparations.

It is for this reason I made a checklist.

Jeanette Isabelle

#286488 - 09/26/17 08:41 PM Re: Nuclear Targets-What are they? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Montanero
There have been a few aircraft accidents and other incidents where nuclear bombs have been involved, none detonated. To go critical, a nuclear warhead must be initiated in a very specific and precise manner.

Commonly known as a Broken Arrow.

The 1961 Goldsboro, North Carolina incident and 1950 British Columbia incident are 2 of the most well known. The 1950 incident here in my home province has provoked many theories over the years as to what exactly happened as opposed to the official sequence of events.

There are some YT videos that document many such incidents over the decades such as this one on the 1950 incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDEE80nfgo

John Lubbock

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.