Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285382 - 08/10/17 10:35 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Hawaii is already reactivating the old fall out shelters in their state. I am curious if continental states will start doing the same.

I have seen FEMA's plan for Crisis Relocation and it is unrealistic in frightening ways.

#285386 - 08/11/17 12:56 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I agree with you Jeanette. That's why I am really surprised we are not seeing more action from the Governors (and mayors of large cities) who are on the West Coast. They seem to be pushing all the responsibility up to the federal level. But it doesnt work that way.

No-one has a real knowledge of the exact capability of N. Korea's missiles. If we use the estimates stated in the public news lately, then cities like Boston, Philadelphia, New York and Washington D.C. are just out-of-range of Kim Jong-Un's missiles. That's good!! But given the mentality of the Korean dictator, he is probably making a major effort to change that right now. In the future, if it is revealed that New York does come into range of the weapons, i just cannot imagine the mayor of New York sitting around and doing nothing.

And by the way - what about Alaska and Hawaii??? They are closer to Pyongyang than the West Coast of the USA. Hawaii is very smart if they are reactivating their shelters - they really need to!

Pete

Edited by Pete (08/11/17 01:10 AM)

#285387 - 08/11/17 01:09 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Also my Great Aunt Eleanore, who by the way just turned seventy, and that side of my family lives in and around California. That is another reason to be concerned.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285388 - 08/11/17 01:24 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Obviously the administrations there and here are both a bit...over the top. But I don't think DPRK is suicidal. They work hard to appear crazy but I don't think they are. They're smart enough to know that using a nuke against the US or a close ally would mean their utter and complete destruction. Nukes are powerful tools to have in the tool box but they're nearly impossible to actually use. Granted, few weapons in history have ever been fielded and not used and things could change but I don't expect a nuclear exchange between the US and North Korea.

As far as stocking radiation meds, etc I really don't think there's much concern where I live. If the unthinkable happened and there was an exchange I don't think anything DPRK has can reach over the Rockies. Obviously it would still be disastrous to the world but not a radiological risk.

#285389 - 08/11/17 01:35 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
That was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Obviously the administrations there and here are both a bit...over the top. But I don't think DPRK is suicidal. They work hard to appear crazy but I don't think they are.

I beg to differ. I think Kim Jong-un truly is three fries shy of a happy meal. Yes, check your supply of potassium iodide tablets.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285390 - 08/11/17 02:03 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I seriously doubt that Kim Jong Un thinks he can fire a nuke at the USA and survive it, nor do I think that he wants to die.

#285391 - 08/11/17 10:22 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I suspect that he might well be deluded enough to believe that he COULD nuke America and survive.
Remember that he is surrounded by advisors who are required to agree with the great leaders views and observations.

Suppose, for sake of argument, that a senior advisor to the dear leader suggested that an attack on America was unwise and might not succeed. I would expect that the advisor would be executed within minutes.

#285392 - 08/11/17 10:31 AM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

if you'd like to see how a single nuclear explosion would affect any city, including yours, worldwide, go here: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

interactive.

#285393 - 08/11/17 02:05 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The N. Koreans have backed themsrlves into a corner. They cannot stand down, they cannot change policy without making Kim Jong-Un look foolish in front of his own people. This is the weakness. Jong-un is more afraid of losing face in ftont of his own people. Therefore, if necessary he will fight a war, even a nuclear one, rather than risking "shame" inside his own country.

Missile wars happen very fast. In a missile war, you cannot afford to be #2. You must hit your enemy first. Both sides know this, and N. Korea has stated it publicly. So the rhetoric from both sides today (Friday) has put the entire Korean Penindula into a hair-trigger situation.

Things here in California are very calm. People dont seem at all concerned, they are going to work, or playing golf, as scheduled. I havent even seen anyone buying extra water or food. I am happy that people are remaining calm. But i cant help feeling that the Internet experience has caused many people to live in a 'virtual reality'. They Tweet about their opinions and concerns, but they do not take practical steps to safeguard themselves.

Pete

Edited by Pete (08/11/17 02:14 PM)

#285394 - 08/11/17 02:53 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A missile war between North Korea and the US would be short. I do not believe we will launch a preemptive strike (conventional or nuclear) on North Korea simply because the N.Korean artillery response on Seoul would be devestating and very difficult to stop. That and the Chinese will probably be in the game if we strike first. OTOH if Trump stays on the high road and North Korea does something stupid/crazy, then we would be fully justified in responding with overwhelming force and methodically take out every site we have targeted. It would be short.

If Kim goes ahead with his missile launch with the aim of dropping a ballistic missile into the ocean near Guam, my thinking is that a minimum of two and probably all the B-1 bombers deployed to Anderson will be airborne before the missile impacts the water -- if the missile impacts the water. It's very possible we will use that missile as a practice target for THAAD and Aegis sytems in the area.

For us back here in CONUS, Guam may seem like a remote and not all that important target. I've been to Guam many times and trust me, the Navy and Air Force would take a test shot toward Guam very seriously. I doubt they would just let the test go as planned. Then again, I'm not familiar enough with the kinematics of those missiles and the geometry required to engage a ballistic missile with a planned offset to the target. I guess we'll see if and when.

Interesting times.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.