Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285396 - 08/11/17 03:48 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Getting back to the original post, I am intrigued that I, a resident of Ventura County, first found out about this warning through ETS. I regularly read the local paper - no articles. There is nothing posted on Ventura County's emergency website that I could find. I am on the CERT county roster, and there has been nothing through that channel.

Oh well, if you are prepped for an earthquake, a nuke will be just another bump, except that it will glow in the dark....

#285397 - 08/11/17 07:56 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Geezer In Chief .. looks like ETS is doing its job. Congratulations to Doug and the members here. It appears that the mayor of Ventura did the "minimum job" to get out news about a nuke disaster scenario. But that's stll light years ahead of anything that Sacramento has done. If a N. Korean missile hits Californinan turf, then the mayor of Ventura may be the next Governor of California. Haha!!

Russ. I agree that an attack on Guam would bring about a very strong response from the USA. When the N. Koreans said this on the news, i was immediately skeptical. Missiles headed for Guam would need to cross through S. Korean airspace. Very likely the USA would try to shoot them down.

Its possible that N. Korea could loft missiles on a high trajectory, and splash them into the ocean. Maybe a few hundred miles from Guam.

Or its possible they could fly missiles to the south, and into the Philippine Sea. But if they send a long-range missile, they risk crashing it into Australia. Whatever Kim Jong-Un does ... it will fall into the category of a major "threat display".

About strategy. If you think about it, both sides have a 'best strategy' to use a preemptive attack. The reasons are different for each side. So if military planners throw caution aside, and follow Sun-Tzu, a preemptive attack is a real option. This makes the situation highly unstable.

Edited by Pete (08/11/17 08:13 PM)

#285400 - 08/11/17 09:31 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Actually, I would give Sacramento and Gov Moonbeam reasonable credit for emergency preparedness. After all, we don't have to depend upon foreign countries to launch rockets at us; we have our very own domestic facility - Vandenberg AFB at Point Conception.

There have been at least two occasions when errant missiles posed problems. I had a ring side seat on Santa Rosa Island for one of them and a good hard hat as well. There are forest fires (large, small, and often numerous), tsunamis, either droughts or floods (take your pick), and the ever present earthquakes. Don't forget oil spills, great and small. At least hurricanes and tornadoes are rather rare. I think California's infrastructure can deal with a nuke event as capably as anyone, but let's not put that proposition to the test, if you please....

#285402 - 08/11/17 11:15 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not nukes, but now you can add volcanoes to the list of natural threats in California.

With 8 threatening volcanoes, USGS says California deserves close monitoring

Volcanoes -- as if neoprene tasting sharks weren't bad enough...

#285409 - 08/12/17 05:49 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Geezer in Chief ... i finally figured out that you might be on Santa Rosa Island on a semi-permanent basis. Yes, you have got a problem. If a N. Korean missile falls short of the CA coastline, you are in the "splashdown zone". And if a rocket from Vandenburg goes astray, who knows. You might be in the debris path also.

You might want to go down to Home Depot and buy a few concrete blocks ... to reinforce your house. Just sayin'. Hahaha!!

Edited by Pete (08/12/17 05:50 PM)

#285410 - 08/12/17 06:38 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Yes, Pete, I have spent a lot of time on Santa Rosa Island and I look forward to spending still more time there. I retired as Channel Islands National Park Archaeologist in 2001, after sixteen wonderful years, and I get out there as often as I can.

About 1992 we were on the island doing field work. Ironically, we had spent the morning recording an underground WWII command center and returned to our base camp for lunch. As we exited our vehicle, there was a loud boom, and a very bright fireball falling into the sea to the west. Without a word, we all headed indoors, although the roof over our heads would not have been much protection against anything significant.

The commotion was an off course rocket launched from Vandenberg, intentionally exploded while nearly over San Miguel Island, the next park island to the west. A large chunk of the rocket engine landed on its south coast.

I have heard stories about another rocket that landed on the island in earlier years, and before rockets, there were airplanes coming to grief on the islands - a B17 on San Miguel, an Avenger near Anacapa, and for that matter,a commercial airliner three miles off Anacapa in the 1990's.

#285413 - 08/13/17 01:17 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Here's my rough draft for a DefCon Checklist. This would used in conjunction with the commercial websites: www.defrconwarningsystem.com & defcon warninglevel.com (no affiliation with either).

DefCon CHECKLIST

DefCon 5 (normal Living):
Stay abreast of current events

DefCon 4 (72hr warning):
Update Bug in & Bug out Plans
Monitor Current Events

DefCon 3 (48hr warning):
Monitor Current Events
General: cancel all planned vacations, scheduled events except for medical requirements,

Load camper with potable water, 4 sets of clothes for each person, additional camping gear/supplies, portable lift, DD1 hygiene supplies, Intel files,

Load truck with cargo rack/chairs, genset, propane fuel, battle rattle, 2 day hiking packs,

Move into home: MOPP Gear, emergency food stores,
Prep for relocating: financial records,

DefCon 2 (24 hr warning):
Monitor Current Events
General: top off all gas tanks and cans,

Move to Camper: all emergency cash, financial records, ready hygiene supplies for DD1. All emergency meds, field FAK's, load bicycle,

Home: box all food supplies, Clean all weps, move camper stove & fuels into home, relocate air filtration to home, bring older lift inside,

DefCon 1 (Nuclear attack imminent):
Monitor Current Events
General:

Truck: Load gas stocks,

Home: install air filtration system, have weps ready for skirmishing, construct in home shelter in Living room,

Camper: standing by in case bugging out becomes necessary

Copy and modify this checklist as you wish to fit your own situation and needs. Disseminate as you wish.

#285414 - 08/13/17 02:22 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: wildman800]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The link does not work.

How do we know what DefCon we are on?

Where do we go to bug out? I at least know what areas to avoid.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285415 - 08/13/17 02:51 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Go to the website. DefConwarningsystem.com set DefCon Level 4, 2 evenings ago, 11Aug2017.

The details have to be worked out by the individual based on their own needs, location, etc.

This is the checklist that I've created and am still developing based on my family's location, needs, resources, etc.

Edited by wildman800 (08/13/17 02:54 PM)

#285416 - 08/13/17 05:15 PM Re: Ventura just issued a preparedness guide for nukes [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In case of a real nuclear attack, you'll probably go from DefCon 5 directly to DefCon 1. OTOH, since people at high levels are discussing the subject, you can move to DefCon 2 right now, but most of us can't stay in DC-2 very long, so we fall back to DC-5. IMO, in a real situation, you'll get 20 minutes warning tops. The missile with your hometown as its target will have already launched. Just sayin'...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.