Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#285320 - 08/07/17 06:39 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: AKSAR]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have a VE 25, but somehow the fly disappeared, making it almost useless. Know where I might find one?

Yes, for climbing or busting brush, a clean profile on your pack is always best!

If you want some sticker shock look at Tactical Tailor's new MALICE pack. That will shock you.

#285321 - 08/07/17 06:47 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have a VE 25, but somehow the fly disappeared, making it almost useless. Know where I might find one?

Have you tried contacting the North Face directly? In my experience their customer service was quite good. I have a VE 24, and after many years of use the spongy spacer things that go between the fly and tent were going flat. I called North Face and they were able to provide new ones.

#285322 - 08/07/17 07:15 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I never received any replies from the company. Just looking to see if there may be some second hand ones out there. Thanks.

#285334 - 08/09/17 01:00 AM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
tomar15 Offline
Stranger

Thank you for your replies.

I had a look at condoroutdoor.com but I can't find the price or the buy button. After googling I found something similar, what do you thing @Jeanette_Isabelle?

https://militarytrained.com/product/military-multifunction-water-resistant-outdoor-bag/

@Montanero do you know if the bag made of nylon is light enough? is there a better material that is sturdy buy light? But I think @hikermor answered this one.

Thanks, @hikermor I agree a well-fitted bag is important, I might just do that. But come back online to make a final purchase

@Pete north face must be expensive, how much did you pay for yours?

@AKSAR thank you for your advice. The terrain is a typical Australian bushland with about 16-22 degrees temperature.

#285335 - 08/09/17 01:14 AM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: tomar15
I had a look at condoroutdoor.com but I can't find the price or the buy button. After googling I found something similar, what do you thing @Jeanette_Isabelle?

https://militarytrained.com/product/military-multifunction-water-resistant-outdoor-bag/

I don't have enough information on the link you gave me to give you accurate information.

Here are links to the first two bags I mentioned; I don't have a price for the third:

https://www.survivalresources.com/condor-venture-pack.html
https://www.survivalresources.com/condor-urban-go-pack.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#285336 - 08/09/17 01:43 AM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There are many grades and variations of nylon. I have a small Gregory made with Sil Nylon, which is thin and light, but not as durable as the heavier nylons. Most of the major backpack manufacturers will use a good grade of nylon.

One thing I will recommend for your area, as I have done some time in the Southwest of Australia, a good durable nylon is a good thing. Everything there seems to want to tear, poke or abrade your gear. I don't think that something like Sil Nylon will last long there.

The design of the bag you linked to seems OK, but with some off brands what you will find is defects in the manufacturing. Sometimes that includes poor materials, like inferior plastic buckles, and sewing that starts to come apart right away. If you do go with something like that, make sure they have a good return policy.

#285337 - 08/09/17 02:28 AM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: gonewiththewind]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Montanero... at the end of Desert Storm, Blackhawk seemed to have a lot of the Spec OP business... has their quality dropped? I have one of their HydroStorms that I picked off the prize table at one of the Ft Bragg 3 gun matches... seems well made, but I don't really use for other than holding some hurricane supplies

#285339 - 08/09/17 12:23 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Blackhawk is still good, but expensive. There are a few other companies that have opened in that same market level, but it has not driven the prices down very much. You also have a problem with the bootleg knockoffs of the popular models, and it is difficult to tell how high the quality is, but the prices are much lower of course. Blackhawk was one of the original brands though.

#285340 - 08/09/17 12:48 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: gonewiththewind]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
thank you

#285341 - 08/09/17 04:18 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Montanero ... sending you a PM.
Just for information. No rush.

Pete

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.