Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285318 - 08/07/17 06:17 PM What Happened to the Food?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
For anyone who has eaten salad or bought any fresh vegetables recently would note that the price of fresh produce has gone up. Meanwhile, a dozen eggs are $0.48, that's $0.04 an egg. I don't recall seeing an egg for less than a nickel in my life time.

When I worked at the food distribution center, I knew what was coming down the pike before John Q. Public saw it on the grocery store shelf. I don't work there now so I'm out of the loop. Does anyone know what is happening?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285323 - 08/07/17 09:19 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Weather drove the price of lettuce up to the some of the highest levels I've ever seen. I'm not sure why eggs are so cheap right now but I have noticed that.

#285324 - 08/07/17 11:54 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? Avian flu [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Interesting
Food deal: Eggs haven’t been this cheap in over a decade | The Wichita Eagle
Quote:
Because as egg producers began to replenish the supply – a little too eagerly – after the avian flu through 2016 and the first half of 2017, downward pressure was placed on egg prices, resulting in the low cost you are now seeing in the grocery store.

Cheap eggs flood US grocery stores | Fox Business
Quote:
A glut of eggs is putting pressure on suppliers and farmers who are struggling to win back business two years after the worst bout of avian influenza in U.S. history devastated the egg-laying flock.

#285325 - 08/08/17 03:35 AM Re: What Happened to the Food? Avian flu [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Our eggs aren't as cheap as you all's. Just now paid $2.19 for a dozen extra large store brand.

#285326 - 08/08/17 11:54 AM Re: What Happened to the Food? Avian flu [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Like Heaertig, I haven't noticed lower prices on eggs, or anything else, for that matter. I pay about $2 a dozen for extra large, and slightly less if I but them 18 at a time. The price is about the same if I get them at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, or a local farm.

In my experience, buying from the local farmers is more expensive than buying produce or meat at the grocery store or Wal-mart, but I feel much better about supporting them.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#285329 - 08/08/17 08:29 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? Avian flu [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Like Heaertig, I haven't noticed lower prices on eggs, or anything else, for that matter. I pay about $2 a dozen for extra large, and slightly less if I but them 18 at a time. The price is about the same if I get them at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, or a local farm.

I'm living in the wrong area of Canada. Large eggs here today are $2.79 per dozen. Extra large are $2.88 per dozen.

John Lubbock

#285332 - 08/08/17 09:14 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Food is a commodity and is subject to laws of supply and demand. Prices are also being pressured by inflation & deflation forces which are both present in the economy. With the price of fresh produce going up, the price of eggs going down is surprising. The cost of raising & feeding chickens and all that goes with the production & marketing of eggs is also governed by S&D forces.

Is demand for eggs going down or is the price of feed going down which is allowing the chicken farmers to drop their prices? If the price of chicken feed is going down, why is the price of fresh produce going up? Look at the supply and demand forces in play in those different food groups. What changed?

#285333 - 08/08/17 09:22 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
EMP answered the question. To summarize, the industry acquired more egg-laying hens than what they thought they need.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285338 - 08/09/17 02:38 AM Re: What Happened to the Food? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Cool, so too much supply caused the price to fall. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

#285343 - 08/09/17 05:23 PM Re: What Happened to the Food? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

You people are getting a good deal on eggs. If you saw what we are paying in So. California for a dozen eggs laid by "chickens who are free to run and scratch" ... you would have a heart attack.

What happened to the world's chickens anyway? I remember a time when all chickens ate corn or grains, didnt get stuffed with hormones, and ran around in the sunshine. Did chickens get kidnapoed by ISIS?? ... why aren't they free anymore.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.