Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285292 - 08/06/17 02:18 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I doubt that military look-alike backpacks are significantly more durable than many of the better civilian backpacks commonly available. Several of the brands mentioned in earlier posts (Gregory, Kifaru) have very good reputations.

What is most critical in a backpack is fit; most current brands are adjustable. I would recommend going to a good outdoor store that offers fitting service and try on a loaded backpack and fine tune the pack while in the store. REI would be my choice, although they are not the only outfit with this capability. All of their packs are good quality, including their house brand. I'll bet you would be very happy with an REI Traverse 75 (or equivalent) for your contemplated usage.

Some people (especially ultra-light backpackers)can do a seven day trip with a 28 liter backpack; others will need a 75 liter backpack for a minimal three day excursion. I'll bet you will wind up with a daypack/overnight pack of about 28-30L and a larger pack, 65-80L for more extended trips.

I probably have about a dozen backpacks of varying size and age; some are more than thirty years old. I am impresses with the quality of the better brands available today. The only failure I have had was on a Maxpedition pack (military style), which was repaired easily.

Again, I would go with REI; they have an excellent warranty and return policy. I have been a satisfied member, buying a lot of their stuff for over fifty years.

#285293 - 08/06/17 02:46 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You also inquired about what material would be durable. For years, most decent backpacks have been made with synthetic cloth, most typically nylon, which is virtually immortal in anything like normal usage. The weak spot in any pack available today is the sewing and the seams. This is not evident on casual inspection and one reason for checking the warranty/return policy.

Durability will be significantly influenced by the type of trips you contemplate. Will you be bush whacking through rugged terrain or strolling along the Appalachian Trail? Carrying climbing/caving/hunting gear?

For really heavy loads and longer trips, consider an exterior frame pack, like the classic Kelty packs. For heavy or bulky loads in moderate country, they are unsurpassed, but modern internal frame packs are more versatile and just about as comfortable.

Whatever you buy, it will not be cheap. Shop carefully and rent or borrow first, if at all possible.

#285294 - 08/06/17 02:51 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If you buy a backpack from any reputable mountaineering store, you should get a very good item. For example, I had a North Face backpack for many years. It never wore out, and the seams remained strong. You will pay more for a genuine mountaineering backpack ... but that's because the users expect these items to be strong.

One important thing. Normal backpacks are 'external frame packs' ... meaning that the frame is on the outside of the pack. Mountain climbers generally use internal frame packs. So you need to decide which type you want.

I agree that it is very handy to have a lot of pockets. the biggest problem i had with my old North Face pack is that it wS necessary to dive through all the contents to find some small object ... usually at the bottom of the pack.

I am sure that there are a lot of cheap junky backpacks in the market. My advice is ... dont buy at those stores. go to a reputable outdoors store and try their products.

BTW, I agree with earlier advice. REI is an excellent place to buy a pack. And you should take the time to learn how the pack works, and how it is intended to fit your body. Time spent choosing good gear ... is always time well spent!

About your final question ... The backpacks that you buy at REI will be fine for a 1-week hike. But it all depends on how much gear you try to jam in your pack. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for experience and good judgment. And that experience only comes from doing a lot of trails. So start simple - and build up. Have fun!!

Good luck.

Pete

Edited by Pete (08/06/17 03:35 PM)

#285295 - 08/06/17 03:23 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have a pack made by Lowe that lasted 18 years of working outdoors, used more days in that time than not. It is mostly 420 denier pack cloth with 1000 denier Cordura bottom. It is now 35 years old and I am taking it to the Wind Rivers next week on a scout backpacking trip. It is large enough to hold a bear canister sideways and is an internal frame (best for off trail for balance). If you are strictly on trail, an external frame pack may be cooler.

A all Cordura pack is a waste of weight, since the bottom 6 inches is where the wear will occur first.

Edited by clearwater (08/06/17 07:41 PM)

#285296 - 08/06/17 04:06 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

There is durable and there is durable. As a civilian, who doesn't lug his backpack everyday and has the has his backpack strapped on the outside of vehicles, most civilian packs are durable enough, more comfortable and more practical.

I actually rarely have worn a pack out, they tend to be replaced by changing needs i have.

What purpose wll you be using it for?

#285298 - 08/06/17 07:50 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Figure out what you need to carry, for how long and get the backpack that does the job.

One issue I have had with some is that I prefer Nalgene type water bottles, and most have side pockets to hold a small plastic bottle, disposable type. I carry a water bladder as well, but I like the functionality and versatility of the larger bottles. I generally carry single wall stainless steel ones.

Assess how you need to access your gear inside to see if you are good with a top loading bag or need to open it along the front. Does it have a pocket for a sleeping bag?

Many good civilian packs are adjustable for torso length, within limits. Military ones are not.

#285299 - 08/06/17 08:01 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: gonewiththewind]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Figure out what you need to carry, for how long and get the backpack that does the job.

One issue I have had with some is that I prefer Nalgene type water bottles, and most have side pockets to hold a small plastic bottle, disposable type. I carry a water bladder as well, but I like the functionality and versatility of the larger bottles. I generally carry single wall stainless steel ones.

Assess how you need to access your gear inside to see if you are good with a top loading bag or need to open it along the front. Does it have a pocket for a sleeping bag?

Many good civilian packs are adjustable for torso length, within limits. Military ones are not.

Agreed. Get your gear first then purchase the back of the correct size and type to fit your gear.

Actually, I think you may be better off by doing an overnighter or two and either renting a pack or borrowing one from a friend. Then gauge what features you like or don't; then try other packs and go from there.

#285300 - 08/06/17 08:34 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: Roarmeister]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You will probably find much better comfort and adjustability in a civilian backpack. A military pack might be more durable. Maybe.

My favorite pack is my Deuter. At the time I bought it, the mesh back panel was really innovative. Now-a-days, I'm sure other brands have probably copied it by now. The mesh makes the pack so comfortable and cool to wear. These pictures are day packs, but Deuter also uses this mesh system on larger packs.

#285301 - 08/06/17 09:38 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Forgot about Kifaru,good stuff.

#285302 - 08/06/17 09:41 PM Re: Military backpack or rucksack [Re: tomar15]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

" A military pack might be more durable. Maybe."

I have a Lowe pack, purchased in 1991 (or thereabouts). It is an "Alpine Attack Summit" (how macho is that?). I have used it extensively and still employ it today. It is thin, small, and light, made of a thin ripstop nylon with mesh shoulder straps. It often serves as a stuff sack and morphs into a light day pack for short excursions. It is totally bombproof and intact after more than a quarter century of sustained use.

It does lack all the molle and pals webbing which adds weight and (supposedly) versatility. So I can't easily pack 30 round magazines or grenades. Not all that good for warfare because it is bright yellow.

Do get a noticeable color, not olive drab. Back when just about all packs were only offered in dull, mil-surp colors, we used to tie bright ribbons on them so they could be found easily in the brush...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.