The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285078 - 07/23/17 01:30 PM When the Brimstone Hits the Fan
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
One problem I forsee in a brimstone hits the fan situation is how do we stay in contact with each other. When the brimstone hits the fan, one thing we will need is to remain in contact with others who are equipped to survive.

All of us should already be prepared; things that will help is knowing each other is alright and, even if we have the right tools or supplies, there could be a situation we don't know how to handle. But someone else in this community does.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285079 - 07/23/17 04:00 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Have you considered amateur radio? A formal communication plan is a great idea no matter what technologies (or lack of them) you use.

#285080 - 07/23/17 04:06 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my suggestion would be to become involved with amateur radio... VHF is line of sight, so without operational repeaters you are somewhat limited, but elevation is your friend... HF gets you "F" layer skip, especially with CW Morse, but most people don't want to learn code and do the technician license... CB is limited range, but works if you are within a couple of miles if mobile, and about 10 miles if you have a good 1/2 wave vertical on a 30'mast... SSB helps... directional beam antennas can improve your reception

radio supported by a solar charging battery bank, or small inverter generator

JI... what distance do you perceive a need to communicate over?

#285081 - 07/23/17 04:33 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I was afraid amateur radio would be the only option.

As for distance, how spread out is the Equipped To Survive community?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285082 - 07/23/17 04:38 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: LesSnyder]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
HF radio in its various forms would be great, but other than putting out a brief shout for help and a location, or a "I'm OK" I'm not sure I see much value in just staying in touch. Especially since the few HF transmitters I am familiar with soak up a lot of what, in this scenario, would be little or non-existent electrical power.

But I do see a huge value in having a decent HF (Shortwave) receiver. Invaluable in getting news and information from all over, and would would help you to understand the situation.

Note: I still have and cherish my 1970 vintage portable Zenith Trans-Oceanic multi-band shortwave receiver. Will operate on (multiple) D-cells or 110 volt AC.

#285083 - 07/23/17 05:05 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Amateur radio can reach worldwide under the right conditions and with the right antenna.

Low-power amateur radio, especially using PSK31 (used to send text, not voice or morse code), has become quite popular. Expect to get good regional coverage at 5W output, and worldwide coverage at 30W.

This is a complex subject and while I've been a licensed ham for a long time I've never worked PSK31.

#285084 - 07/23/17 05:06 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
HF radio in its various forms would be great, but other than putting out a brief shout for help and a location, or a "I'm OK" I'm not sure I see much value in just staying in touch.

I have been a member of this community ever since I was twenty. I matured from being gadget centered to being more well-rounded. In the nearly eleven years we developed a bond.

Years ago when a tornado headed east on Interstate 20, members wanted to know I was okay. When the brimstone hits the fan, everyone will want to know how everyone else is doing.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285085 - 07/23/17 05:53 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
After the initial contact has been established, a scheduled communications plan to exchange info every 6 hrs would be a smart move.

This would save power and keep your group and other groups updated on weather conditions at each transmitting location, any observed movements by unknown groups, any critical medical issues occurring (disease or illness) that a group is experiencing, any supply shortages each group is looking to fill (bartering), etc.

This would have all groups better informed of their surroundings and the various pertinent situations of like minded neighbors.

#285086 - 07/23/17 06:20 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: bws48]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
There are transceiver concepts for low power consumption. Some like the Rockmite or the Pixie even fit in an Altoids can. Both can operate on 12V and the battery can be charged via solar panel or Savonius generator.
With my Rockmite I was able to easily pick up transmitters located in China claiming to use 50W of power.
The only drawback is that the Rockmite and the Pixie are CW only tranceivers.

#285087 - 07/23/17 06:30 PM Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
There may be other options but amateur radio may be one of your best bets. There are frequencies for disaster communication. Many amateurs might give a helping hand. They also have the training and equipment to do so.
As for distance: My location is basically in the middle of Germany. I hold a class A license and a trainerīs license as amateur radio operator.
IIRC there are a couple of community members located in Europe (UK, Netherlands and maybe Spain)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.