The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#284967 - 07/12/17 10:39 PM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I recommend that you research the source of these two meds. Are they made from a chemical mix or derived from a plant or animal. If from a plant, what is being extracted from the plant? Does the plant grow in North America or some continent in the Sub tropical zone. Are there local plants that provide the same ingredient? The solution to your supply may be at your doorstep.

#284968 - 07/12/17 11:28 PM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
St. John's Wort is known to be an effective anti-depressant but efficacy varies from person to person.

#284971 - 07/13/17 12:43 AM Re: EMP [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Depression is not my biggest concern. People can't die of depression; they can die from not eating.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284973 - 07/13/17 01:07 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
People can't die of depression; they can die from not eating.

Since I don't have your problem (I'm on the OTHER extreme of eating behavior), I don't understand how you are knowledgeable about needing to eat to live, but not able to force yourself to eat even in the absence of appetite. But like I said, I haven't been there.

Would marijuana work? Supposedly it gives people the munchies, but I've never tried it to find out for myself. I'm only half-joking here. Could it be grown in your garden as an appetite enhancer? (probably only *after* an EMP, where drug laws would most likely become meaningless)

#284974 - 07/13/17 01:23 AM Re: EMP [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Since I don't have your problem (I'm on the OTHER extreme of eating behavior), I don't understand how you are knowledgeable about needing to eat to live, but not able to force yourself to eat even in the absence of appetite. But like I said, I haven't been there.

There are several medical reasons for appetite loss though mine is not listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orexigenic

Originally Posted By: haertig
Would marijuana work? Supposedly it gives people the munchies, but I've never tried it to find out for myself. I'm only half-joking here. Could it be grown in your garden as an appetite enhancer?

I was not sure I could mention this; that is one thing I considered and researched. In the research I have done, it has to be in pill form, not inhaled.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284978 - 07/13/17 11:36 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
NAro Online   content
Addict

Before anyone "splits" a drug dosage, a bit of consultation with the M.D. is in order. Drug effects aren't always linear. Sometimes there are windows above or below which the drug isn't effective. Mirtazapine has an odd side-effect profile: low doses (15mg or split) tend to be very sedating whereas high doses tend sometimes to be over-stimulating, or over-energizing. Of course there may be individual differences, but your MD should be able to answer your questions. I'd hate to think what the effect of taking, for instance, sub-clinical dosages of an antibiotic. Or insulin.

#284980 - 07/13/17 07:49 PM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"
Yes, and possibly use your remaining stock of scarce and valuable batteries to listen to the radio for news from now distant places such as the next town."

Thats actually a very good suggestion. But i think that your shortwave radio would really need to pick up broadcasts from long distances, even other countries.

So that raises a good question ...

Whats a good shortwave radio, battery powered, for picking up foreign broadcasts. The simplest possible option, without getting too elaborate. Any ideas?

Pete

Edited by Pete (07/13/17 07:51 PM)

#284982 - 07/13/17 09:09 PM Re: EMP [Re: Pete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Pete
Whats a good shortwave radio, battery powered, for picking up foreign broadcasts.

You're good to need a good antenna (read: not a 3" antenna on a cheap transceiver) and a bit more than a pair of AA's to do that.
Along with and some radio knowledge. Probably best to make a new friend, ahead of time, that already has the equipment/knowledge.

#284990 - 07/14/17 11:17 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
A quick google search shows a bunch. I used to have a Grundig, but I didn't see them. As for antenna, a long (correct length) wire hung from a tree works fine for the bands received and is easy to deploy.

#285054 - 07/21/17 09:41 PM Re: EMP [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Shortwave Coil Up Antenna is a good option if you choose to keep a shortwave radio as a receiver for use after an "event". Cheap and fairly foolproof.

As for a decent radio, there are lots, just check Amazon. I keep a CountyComm GP-5 SSB radio in my steel (hopefully EMP-proof) box. It's a good receiver -- good AM & FM, and the DSP cleans up a lot of noise. No affiliation other than as an owner/user.

As for atmospherics after an "event", a long time back I learned that while some comms will be reduced, others will be enhanced. Some HF/SW freqs use skywaves and others use ground waves for propagation -- same concept. After the event, set up your receiver and do a slow scan, see what's out there. $.02

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.