Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285033 - 07/18/17 11:25 PM Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Despite Biblical implications, let's strive to keep religion out and focus on the practical.

As mentioned, I study end time prophecy with my mom. This evening I asked her if she thinks it is contributing to my anxiety. She thinks it is and I should step away from it. I want to be prepared, not bury my head in the sand. Suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285034 - 07/19/17 12:31 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
There are things one can do to reduce anxiety.

Some I have learned-

Make changes in life to reduce stressors. (Learn to say no to too many obligations, etc.)

Exercise (not to exhaustion however, as that makes it worse)

Do stuff with friends (outside of work).

Get enough regular sleep.

Faith should be reassuring, not a stress producer.

In the book of Revelations, God wins in the end.

#285035 - 07/19/17 12:57 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: clearwater]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Faith should be reassuring, not a stress producer.

In the book of Revelations, God wins in the end.

I could also earn the martyrs' crown, the highest honor in Heaven. For some strange reason, I'm not feeling very reassured.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285037 - 07/19/17 04:23 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Jeanette, if you are asking this type of question I would guess that perhaps it is time to step away from that type of study for a while. As we know, balance is the key to any endeavor in life. The study of Scripture is the same. All aspects of it should be studied. I would suggest taking some time to look into some of the wisdom books. They can help to sharpen and focus your faith practice on the here and now. Feel free to PM me with any questions or clarification.

My $.02

#285038 - 07/19/17 08:21 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I would focus my energy on the things I can do something about. smile

#285039 - 07/19/17 10:58 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I also think it would be a good idea to step away. Maybe use the that time to devote to other activities you enjoy.

As for prepping, ask yourself if that is also contributing to your anxiety, or helping to relieve it, and adjust accordingly.

Also we all agree that prepping makes good sense; you don't need to study prophecy to justify it. Daily life does.

#285040 - 07/19/17 11:56 AM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
Also we all agree that prepping makes good sense; you don't need to study prophecy to justify it. Daily life does.

I'll avoid the reasons and explanations. I believe we need to bug in, for a while, and at some point bug out. This goes beyond prepping for an earthquake or a monster storm.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285041 - 07/19/17 02:13 PM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Speaking from the psychological point of view, when you focus on something so intensely, it can create expectations and even hopes. Some people who focus on such end time beliefs, to the exclusion of other aspects of their religion, feel the need to attempt to bring it about or begin to become separated from society as a whole. It is when that belief overwhelms all other living and belief.

Regardless of what religion it is (and I have studied most of them), there should be a balance between living life to have meaning and preparing for what you believe will come to be. Preparing is not bad, obsession is bad and can destroy any hope of living a meaningful life.

The media is full of content that exacerbates this type of anxiety, as well. Just look at Wikipedia for a list of post-apocalyptic movies, it is extensive. The media you consume can affect your mood, beliefs and expectations. Just think about someone who expends all of their time and resources on preparing for doomsday, watches all of the movies and TV shows. They begin to WANT it to happen (I have met some first hand). There is also the example of some cults that center around an end time event. Some have attempted to bring it about (Aum Shinrikyo in Japan, The Concerned Christians in Denver). If you focus on such things, it is very likely to cause anxiety.

#285043 - 07/19/17 04:21 PM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

JI, unless you are ultra-orthodox, the weight of Jewish theological analysis is that Revelations is best understood as an allegorical story, not literal writ. It is meant to teach the concepts of the continuing battle, which we and society faces, between good and evil. Talk to your Rabbi, see if he/ she confirms what I've said. Reasonable prepping is good. Forget the " End of the World" crazies. They have been false prophets in every age. Besides, if the world is going to end, your faith. & belief are the only reliable resources. Thinking about it any more than that is bound to cause anxiety.

#285044 - 07/19/17 06:59 PM Re: Studying Endtime Prophecy Contributing to Anxiety? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I too have faced this question. My Dad simplified it best, in my opinion. Prepare for things that are likely to occur and affect me. Ignore those threats that I can neither prevent, influence, or mitigate. Stay in God's path. He will have you where he needs you, doing what he needs you to be doing.

I am prepared and organized for the likely man made and natural events (hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, nuke or haz chem accidents). I ignore that which I can't control (asteroids, super volcanoes, hostile alien invasion of the insectoids, etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.