The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#285055 - 07/21/17 10:32 PM Re: Inexpensive knives, ver. 2.0 [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My other half loves the Dollar Store and finds all sorts of good stuff that's inexpensive. I went along a few months back and found a set of kitchen knives, two Santoku, one large, one smaller -- the set for $4. They are very good knives.

#285265 - 08/04/17 07:58 PM Re: Inexpensive knives, ver. 2.0 [Re: quick_joey_small]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Might have been some threads I posted to get the 300 dollar knife aficionados reaching for the overdose bottle :-)

I love my Moras. Good quality blade and inexpensive (NOT cheap). Can't remember all the models # but I know I have a 905, 711, High-Q Robust, Bushcraft black, and a couple more. The Black has the best blade but the Robust has the best handle ergonomics.
I also have a heavy Ontario Rat-7, a stainless steel Helle, an RSK MK3 and an old '70s nondescript noname fixed blade from my youth.

But yesterday I laid out the wampum for a brand new custom handmade knife from Diving Sparrow that probably costs as much as ALL of the rest of my fixed blades together. (No, I am not going to say how much as I am a little embarrassed! And besides which I needed to rob my piggy bank!) It will be 2-3 months before it will be ready to ship.

Edited by Roarmeister (08/05/17 02:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#285268 - 08/05/17 04:30 AM Re: Inexpensive knives, ver. 2.0 [Re: Roarmeister]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Might have been some threads I posted to get the 300 dollar knife aficionados reachng for the overdose bottle :-)

I love my Moras. Good quality blade and inexpensive (NOT cheap). Can't remember all the models # but I know I have a 705, 911, Robust, Bushcraft black, and a couple more. The Black has the best blade but the Robust has the best handle ergonomics.
I also have a heavy Ontario Rat-7, a stainless steel Helle, a RSK MK3 and an old '70s non-descript noname fixed blade from my youth.

But yesterday I laid out the wampum for a brand new custom handmade knife from Diving Sparrow that probably costs as much as ALL of the rest of my fixed blades together. (No, I am not going to say how much as I am a little embarrassed! And besides which I needed to rob my piggy bank!) It will be 2-3 months before it will be ready to ship.

I admire a well made knife that's inexpensive but I still love the expensive ones, too. What can I say, a knife junkie will always be a knife junkie! grin

#285278 - 08/05/17 08:17 PM Re: Inexpensive knives, ver. 2.0 [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Mankind has been putting sharp edges on rocks or metals for well over 100,000 years, so it is not surprising that we have learned to embellish edged items with values that go well beyond utilitarian usage. We do this with all kinds of stuff.

When it comes to sharpening, the sharpest possible edge is produced by flaking off a chip from a piece of obsidian (volcanic glass), its more common modern day equivalent, the bottom of a glass beer bottle. The edge will not last long, but it is about a molecule wide at the tip, which is pretty darn thin. Not very expensive, either.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.