Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#284903 - 07/08/17 08:08 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: Montanero
You don't have to be faster than the bear, only faster than your hiking buddy!

Which buddy?

Mother? Father? Sister? Brother? Wife? Son? Daughter? ...

Me probably. I'm always the slowest one in the group. smile
Just call me "Dinner".

#284905 - 07/08/17 10:46 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: Roarmeister]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Do put bear attacks in perspective. You are much more likely to suffer an injury/fatality from falls, drowning, or motor vehicle accidents than from a bear attack. In a typical year, honey bees kill more people than bears. overall, bear attacks are unusual, which is why they are reported in thee media....

From a statistical POV and living in an urban environment, I would agree with you. But when you are in bear country, you odds go way up.

LIke Mtn Lion, if you live or work where they are, you exposure is a lot more.

Two local biologists- one has killed two cougars stalking him, another used pepper spray three times on stalking lions.

Right now I wouldn't be walking my dog nearby the Priest lake Ranger Station in Idaho.

#284906 - 07/09/17 02:35 AM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Do put bear attacks in perspective. You are much more likely to suffer an injury/fatality from falls, drowning, or motor vehicle accidents than from a bear attack. In a typical year, honey bees kill more people than bears. overall, bear attacks are unusual, which is why they are reported in thee media....

I don't want to hype the danger, but as a couple others have commented statistics don't tell the whole story. Maybe only one in a few million folks get attacked by a bear but consider how many bears there are in Chicago, L.A., NYC, Miami, etc. If you're hiking in Olympic Natl Park our odds of encountering a bear go up quite a bit.

Obsessing over bear attacks is silly but this place is called ETS! That means being prepared for the situations we can reasonably foresee. An encounter with a bear is one of those things. In my life there has been one time when I have been within 10 feet of a bear in the wild; it was looking me over pretty good for a bit then boogied out of there. Still the speed of the fella was surprising especially given the size.

#284919 - 07/10/17 01:25 AM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Here is another bear attack that happened today in Colorado.

“I woke up to a crunching sound and a lot of pain… The bear had a hold of my head and was dragging me across the ground.”

As the bear’s teeth tore into flesh, Dylan fought back with all of the strength he had.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/07/09/bear-attacks-camper-dylan-ward-boulder-county/

#284923 - 07/10/17 05:30 AM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yikes! That's the worst case to me- attacked in your sleep! That's what happened at Yellowstone a couple years back, two people drug out of their tents in the middle of the night by bears. At least one died IIRC.

#284925 - 07/10/17 11:09 AM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My first question is - did he have any food or aromatic items in his tent which might have attracted the bear? This seems to be a common finding in many bear attacks - a sloppy campsite.

My experience with bear country is fairly limited. On one overnight hike in Denali National park, in a locality with recent bear sightings, our tent was 100 yards distant from our food prep and eating area, and our bear cans with all smellies was another 100 yards distant, per recommendations. The hassle was worth it - it was one of the most beautiful views I have ever witnessed...

On the Channel Islands, we don't have bears, just Great White Sharks and their buddies.

#284930 - 07/10/17 01:27 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: clearwater]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

You don't camp with the sharks do you, Hikermor?

#284931 - 07/10/17 01:49 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: gonewiththewind]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have heard of sleeping with fish. Sharing a tent with a shark is a new one to me.

I suppose that if you do have a great white, you will not have any trouble with bears.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284936 - 07/10/17 06:37 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

#284937 - 07/10/17 08:28 PM Re: Recent Bear Attacks [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Ah, the seasonal debate is back.
Yup. Must be that time of year.

Only three pages in, and we've already had the mandatory spray discussion, the obligatory minimum caliber debate, the essential shot placement analysis, and the 'should I buy a bigger gun' question. We also have it on good authority that "The idaho bear is still on the hunt for tasty humans or dogs". And we have been treated with the ever popular "you don't have to run faster than the bear" joke. As an added bonus, we've even got a "bear shark" meme.

Any topics we've failed to cover? Has anyone learned anything really new? Has the discussion changed anyone's opinion?

Full disclosure: Anchorage is as small town. It turns out that a parent of one of the recent fatal mauling victims is an acquaintance of mine. While I never met the deceased individual, I did attend the memorial service.

Edited by AKSAR (07/10/17 08:44 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.