The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#284918 - 07/10/17 12:40 AM EMP
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
After an EMP how soon can I safely remove a flashlight or an electronic device from a protective container? I heard two weeks but I need verification.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284920 - 07/10/17 02:29 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Immediately. The EMP passes through and then it's gone. Unless/until another EMP is generated from whatever source.

#284921 - 07/10/17 03:02 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
What electronic device would be worth having, even if functional by itself, after an EMP wipes out the power grid and supporting infrastructure? Your flashlight should be fine after an EMP if is one of the old style ones with just a basic switch. The newer ones that cycle through various modes and brightness levels might be toast though. Transportation (motorcycle, car) would be good for sure, but those are probably beyond the physical size that a normal person could protect.

I haven't really thought about "after the EMP" much, except "nothing would work and we'd all die shortly thereafter". Much of my thinking along those lines comes after reading the book "One Second After".

What type of devices were you thinking about protecting?

#284927 - 07/10/17 12:32 PM Re: EMP [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

All of my flashlights are LED. Would the LED be affected? I have two of my flashlights in protective containers. I also have my computer back up in a protective container. The backup does little good if I don't have a working computer.

I wish there were a way to protect my singing doll. She is mint in box and sitting on the shelf as is the rest of my collection. The only way is to hide her away in a protective container until the EMP that may never come. If the EMP fries everything, my only source of music will be the singing doll and music box.

I don't plan on dying after an EMP, not until the Mirtazapine runs out. We have bottled water and a way to collect and purify rainwater. We can cook outdoors and though we have a small yard, we can still dig holes to do our business. In the winter we can throw an extra blanket on the bed but I will be miserable in the summer without a fan.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284939 - 07/11/17 12:41 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Modern radios are unlikely to do anything useful if protected against an EMP, for some period of time. Any LED emitter is likely to be destroyed if not protected. If I were prepping for an EMP I'd at least have a couple good radios and flashlights in whatever container I was using.

#284940 - 07/11/17 12:55 AM Re: EMP [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Modern radios are unlikely to do anything useful if protected against an EMP, for some period of time.

If a radio is protected, it cannot be used after the EMP? How long then do I need to keep a radio or another communications device protected?

Jeanette Isabelle

#284942 - 07/11/17 02:40 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
An EMP is very likely to make the radio spectrum unusable for a period of time. How long? I don't know exactly, it will depend on the mechanism used to create the EMP. There's no reason to protect a radio after the EMP has passed unless there is another EMP. But it won't be usable until the radio spectrum clears.

#284946 - 07/11/17 04:33 AM Re: EMP [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A lot of the transmitters would likely be inoperable after an EMP as well, probably wouldn't be much to listen to even with a working radio.

#284948 - 07/11/17 11:03 AM Re: EMP [Re: wildman800]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Immediately. The EMP passes through and then it's gone. Unless/until another EMP is generated from whatever source.

Yes, it passes almost instantly.

I see little point in trying to save most sophisticated electronics since they will be of little use without supporting infrastructure. Probably little point in saving computer data since it is of little uses without computers and electrical infrastructure.

I would try to save the simpler types of LED flashlight and some basic radio broadcast receivers. Radio transmitters would almost certainly be destroyed by an EMP event, but I believe that TPTB have emergency transmitters stored for just such an emergency.

Remember that modern lithium rechargeable cells need sophisticated electronic chargers, that in turn need electrical input.
The future after an EMP event is going involve a great deal less electricity, with wet leclanche cells, flooded lead aid batteries, and zinc carbon dry cells largely replacing more modern types.

#284949 - 07/11/17 11:49 AM Re: EMP [Re: adam2]
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks. This information is helpful.

Originally Posted By: adam2
I see little point in trying to save most sophisticated electronics since they will be of little use without supporting infrastructure. Probably little point in saving computer data since it is of little uses without computers and electrical infrastructure.

I would try to save the simpler types of LED flashlight and some basic radio broadcast receivers.

Computer backup takes up little space and it will come in handy if I get another computer, after I bug out to a location not hit by an EMP.

I have two of my flashlights in protective containers.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.