Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#284912 - 07/09/17 09:53 PM Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have lived in Florida for more than three years. In the past several months, I'm finally making new friends. We have a common interest: end-time Biblical prophecy.

I learn that one of them and her family of four does not have the resources to prepare.

While talking to Mom, I suggested that I let them have some of my extra first aid kits and first aid supplies. She was concerned that if I gave away some of the first aid kits and supplies that I have, we might not have enough.

At that point, I wondered if Mom even knew what I have. I went to my room, came out with an armload of eight first aid kits (ranging from pocket size to industrial) and additional supplies and told Mom that this is half of what I have. Mom could see my point. I could perhaps spare something.

What I mentioned is what I personally have. This does not include other kits and supplies in the house. My question to the forum is this: Do I have too many first aid kits and supplies?

Jeanette Isabelle

#284913 - 07/09/17 10:24 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Probably not, although it all depends upon what situation you will be coping with. Most FA items have a reasonably long shelf life.

I will harp on a predictable theme of mine (and maybe others too) - training is just as important as supplies. Could you get them into a FA course, along with your generous gift?

#284914 - 07/09/17 10:44 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Probably not, although it all depends upon what situation you will be coping with.

I'm not preparing for the Battle of Armageddon.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I will harp on a predictable theme of mine (and maybe others too) - training is just as important as supplies. Could you get them into a FA course, along with your generous gift?

Though I took a class, I learned more by studying a book and practicing on myself.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284916 - 07/10/17 12:02 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It sounds to me like you've got all travel and home possibilities covered.

My home has 2 FAK's: 1 latex and trauma and 1 non latex and minor day to day cuts and scrapes capability. My truck has a large FAK for trauma and burns and 2 smaller FAKS (GHB's). My van has 2 minor Faks (BoB's). The camper has a large industrial size FAK.

Always use your buddy's FAK on his injuries, save your FAK/Supplies for your own injuries.

I think you're providing your friend with their own FAK's is extremely considerate and meaningful gift that will be appreciated and treasured.

Edited by wildman800 (07/10/17 12:03 AM)

#284917 - 07/10/17 12:33 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The point is if an armful is half of the total first aid kits I have, am I overdoing it?

As the cliche goes, women shop for shoes. They see a new pair of shoes and buy it. Me? If someone comes out with a new first aid kit, I buy it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284922 - 07/10/17 05:26 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A FAK addiction is better than a shoe addiction! grin

#284928 - 07/10/17 01:10 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI... I'm a competitive shooter, and as such have prepared for an accidental gunshot wound, which trauma could easily be duplicated by a range of more common incidents

I have three kits, one I clip to my gun cart, similar in content... tourniquet, Israeli compression bandage or OLAES modular(the Israeli is a smaller package), both roll and bandage Kerlix gauze, petroleum gauze (the OLAES seals the thorax also), NPA and lube, hemostatic gauze, stretch tape

a boo boo kit of some cloth knuckle bandages, 4x4 gauze and some stretch tape are in a ziploc bag

just some ideas

Edited by LesSnyder (07/10/17 01:12 PM)

#284929 - 07/10/17 01:26 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If you have the possible contingencies covered, and can resupply sufficiently, you may want to use your resources to improve your preps in another area.

#285002 - 07/15/17 04:23 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Jeanette,

I think providing basic FAKs is fine. The thing to consider is that the band-aids are going to be used up first. After which the FAK is likely to fall off the planet into some sort of oblivion. I had some "quick kits" made up one time. They included a few band-aids, a few 4x4s, the stick-to-itself tape, gloves, and some triple antibiotic ointment. The were intended to be essentially single-use though they could be replenished. Basically, I had about 5 or 6 of them that I could just grab and toss to a person to use. They came in handy one day when someone tried to contravene the laws of physics. A person successfully disproved that a hand and a hedge clippers can occupy the same physical space at the same temporal moment. I grabbed one of my quick kits, bandaged him up, and some took him to the ER. I later heard from the "scientist" that the ER folks mentioned what a great wrapping/bandaging job it was. Anyway, I think your FAK addiction is fine because it is at least useful. Be generous. Stay prepared. Educate when you can.

My $.02

#285004 - 07/15/17 06:59 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The point is if an armful is half of the total first aid kits I have, am I overdoing it?

I would tackle the question from a management angle.
Can you afford to replace expired items in all of your kits when they expire?
If no, fewer kits might be a reasonable aproach.
Can you keep track of which items in which kit are going to expire when? If no, you might need a better tracking system or get rid of some kits.
Do you have the time for regular check and maintenace? If no, you might have to get rid of some kits.
I have a couple of FAKs too. Some sit on a shelf ready to grab and go. Some have their home in the luggage for special activities (e. g. my range bag, my rifle case, my hiking pack) to make sure I do not forget to grab it. Sometimes that leads to bringing more than one FAK. I keep a record of the expiration dates (e. g. sterile stuff in my range bag is going to expire 5/2019).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.