Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#285005 - 07/15/17 07:05 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I forgot to mention the Dog FAK that I keep in the dog's BoB. It is a trauma kit for my fir babies.

#285006 - 07/15/17 12:26 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: M_a_x]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I do keep track of when things expire and buy refills. Other times it is cheaper to buy another kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285007 - 07/15/17 01:18 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
As long as you can manage the kits, itīs basically OK.
Usually I use kits according German Industry Standards for powered vehicle kits (DIN 13164 or DIN 13167). The are cheap, have sufficient content for most usecases and usually have a five or ten year shelf life (2 to 3 for the adhesives). Sometimes the kits can be bought at about 5€. Thatīs when I pick mine up.

#285010 - 07/15/17 06:10 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: M_a_x]
NAro Offline
Addict

a bit off topic, but FIW (and some of the medical personnel here may want to weigh in):
You should avoid bandaging, even band-aid types, a wound you haven't cleansed with clean (potable) water. Anything like alcohol or peroxide is not necessary and possibly problematic. Allergic contact dermatitis is not unheard of with triple-antibiotic ointment (or the components). Some people take the shortcut of slathering that on an un-cleaned wound, which is a poor idea because the ointment just traps crud in the wound. There are studies out there that show that these antibiotic or triple-antibiotic ointments don't really do any good, and since they may be problematic (even make the band-aid slip off easier), I personally don't use them and removed them from all my FAKs.
So my "minor cut/scrape" FAK is only a few adhesive strip bandages and a few sterile 4x4s, a "wet wipe" individual pk., and 3-4 of the contact lens sterile saline ampules (google) for a rinse. But that's just me.

My MAJOR kit is entirely a different story....but don't get me started.

Edited by NAro (07/15/17 06:14 PM)

#285011 - 07/15/17 06:58 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: NAro]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
FAKs are tool kits. Proper training for their use should be acquired before carrying them. I think that is consensus around here.
First aid classes usually teach that any medication (including antiseptics and antibiotics) should be left to actual medical personel.
However bandages serve different purposes. This includes avoiding further contamination and psychological purposes. In some cases it makes sense to use them even on an uncleaned wound. After all first aid is not final treatment.

#285012 - 07/15/17 07:28 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I generally carry a small trauma kit, and have everyone on the trip carry one and ideally be trained in its use. In addition, I carry a general first aid kit for the cuts and scrapes and illnesses endemic to the area. Every person will carry a small personal kit and I carry a more substantial one for larger injuries, medication and longer term care. The intent is to treat and keep them alive until they can be evacuated, not as a permanent care scenario. One of the best first aid tools may be your cell phone or satellite communication, if it is serious.

In a field environment I would certainly ensure that a wound is kept clean, which is more important than covering it. If clean, however, a good wound closure speeds healing, if you can keep it clean. Protecting the wound from contamination or further injury is important.

A good reference for field medical care is:

Ditch Medicine

#285016 - 07/16/17 04:10 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
voyaginator Offline
Stranger

Glad I read that thread. So, looked at aid emergency kit, then, thought not that one, not enough, this one too small, etc. So, ending up ordering a "good" one https://goo.gl/ME7Btc okay, kind of expensive blush but for a family. And that is my question, is there a list somewhere of essential items for a family first aid kit ? frown

#285018 - 07/16/17 06:13 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: voyaginator]
Carpal Tunnel

This kit is a bit bulky, so it's not ideal for travel. In my opinion, it is the best value, best bang for the buck.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/first-aid-kit-351-pieces/prod20200504.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Sam's Club or Total Resources International (the manufacturer of this kit).

Jeanette Isabelle

#285052 - 07/21/17 06:13 PM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

We have a near by surplus store, a place selling overstocked or discontinued items. Yesterday, late afternoon or evening, I worked on an idea of building a first aid kit using surplus items.

This morning I went to CVS to buy a first aid kit case.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/...47?skuId=967347

At the surplus store, I bought a suture removal kit for $2.99 and used the scissors and forceps for the kit. I bought ten 2" x 2" gauze sponges for $0.05 each and put two in my kit. Moleskin for $0.99, a 1" role of Nexcare paper tape for $1.19 and store brand 2 OZ hand sanitizer for $0.29.

I included two p.a.w.s. antimicrobial hand wipes from a box of 100 for $4.99 and one Curad face mask from a box of ten for $3.99.

I included a used first aid book I bought online, one pair of Curad Nitrile exam gloves, a Curad 5" x 9" surgical dressing and a 30 Count box of 0.75" x 3" fabric bandages.

Mom asked if we need any more first aid kits. No, but that's not the point. I like building first aid kits and I have given away or donated some of my projects.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with CVS, the surplus store, Nexcare, p.a.w.s. or Curad.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285070 - 07/23/17 12:16 AM Re: Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Update: My friend accepted the first aid kits and first aid book I offered. She only recently began prepping.

I'm now down to six first aid kits. Admittedly it is easier to manage.

After building a first aid kit with surplus items, I considered doing the same for a survival kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.