Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284840 - 06/30/17 08:32 PM Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm trying some less expensive rechargeable batteries - Enloops are too pricey. Has anyone tried the imported ones?

#284845 - 06/30/17 09:50 PM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My experiences were not positive a few years ago. The Amazon Basics brand haven't been as good for me as Eneloops, but they're not bad. For me, Eneloops have proven to be the most cost effective based on longevity.

#284848 - 07/01/17 11:12 AM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

For what purpose? If it's just for things like remotes and other less demanding things, then the ikea ones are pretty decent.

#284849 - 07/01/17 04:37 PM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Eneloops at Costco! I've been looking at getting some. Starter package includes AA, 4-AAA and a charger. I think they have a battery only package too.

#284851 - 07/02/17 02:51 AM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am very happy with Eneloops, bought the cheapest at Costco. Amazing savings compared to other battery types, such that the original Eneloops purchase price is trivial.

#284854 - 07/02/17 05:43 AM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
My brother bought some imported ones off Amazon (I'll ask him the brand when I see him next). He says they're pretty good but they don't last quite as long on a charge as the Eneloops. They were only marginally cheaper, too, so it probably wasn't worth is. Eneloops aren't that expensive and can be charged thousands of times. Going cheaper is probably false economy IMO.

#284859 - 07/03/17 07:27 PM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I bought some cheaper NiMH one time and a couple leaked.

Maha Imedion are pretty close to Eneloops. But the cost of Eneloops are low enough that it doesn't really save to buy cheaper.

#284862 - 07/03/17 09:06 PM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I also have to add that my Eneloops are still working fine; bought most of them in 2008...

#284863 - 07/04/17 02:07 AM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As someone suggested, top-shelf Eneloops might be overkill for minor stuff like remote controls and computer mouses. Sure, if you're headed out into the weeds, bring the best you have. For mundane household stuff, though, any low-self-discharge batteries will serve, provided you have a decent charger.

Since frugalism is the goal, the trick is to keep an eye out for clearance sales. Otherwise you're spending almost as much per battery as top-shelfers, which is not wise. For example, last year, Ikea was clearing out tons of 750mA LSD AAA's for a dollar per four-pack. Did I buy a couple of cartons? Of course I did. Way more than I need, but the rest turn into stocking stuffers and office gifts, so they save me money. 25 cents a cell, and they work fine.

I have never had a NiMH leak, BTW. I have dozens, cheapies and top-shelf, and have used them constantly for years and years.

#284864 - 07/04/17 06:56 AM Re: Cheaper rechargeable aa/aaa's [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
As someone suggested, top-shelf Eneloops might be overkill for minor stuff like remote controls and computer mouses. Sure, if you're headed out into the weeds, bring the best you have. For mundane household stuff, though, any low-self-discharge batteries will serve, provided you have a decent charger.

Since frugalism is the goal, the trick is to keep an eye out for clearance sales. Otherwise you're spending almost as much per battery as top-shelfers, which is not wise. For example, last year, Ikea was clearing out tons of 750mA LSD AAA's for a dollar per four-pack. Did I buy a couple of cartons? Of course I did. Way more than I need, but the rest turn into stocking stuffers and office gifts, so they save me money. 25 cents a cell, and they work fine.

Well put! I don't mind cheap batteries in remotes and stuff although as they die instead of using new disposables I've been trying to Eneloops. It's a bit "greener" and more convenient.

Today I made a good score at Target! They had 8 packs of Ultimate Lithium AA's on clearance for $5! cool That's a great price. I don't use rechargeables in my lights as a rule, I prefer lithium. At least the ones that I use for hiking and camping, or for storage in the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.