Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284841 - 06/30/17 08:34 PM A little love for the fanny pack
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know they are a fashion don't, but the fanny or lumbar back (basically a waist bag) are great for travel, EDC and hikes. More room for water, jacket, food, etc.

#284843 - 06/30/17 09:27 PM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Absolutely true. . .but, for travel, at least in Europe, where I travel, it is a flashing beacon that shouts "TOURIST." Lets the bad guys focus on you. My solution was to look at what local men carried, and it turned out to be various types of man bags. So I bought one, and use it when I go. Carries just as much, if not more, and isn't as obvious. Grey man theory. . .

But for local walking/hiking here in the US, I do use a fanny pack with all my preps. Don't care what the neighbors think---they already (probably) think I am a bit strange. . .

#284844 - 06/30/17 09:40 PM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Fanny packs are great for your hiking survival kit and for kids' survival kits. You can pull it out of you pack and strap it on quickly, or carry it on your body.

Yes, in Europe they are a signature, but as bws48 says, there are so many options for there. A good messenger bag works all over.

#284846 - 06/30/17 10:14 PM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The other thing I like about a fanny pack is that it doesn't feel so uncomfortable in hot weather.

#284852 - 07/02/17 02:54 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Usually I want a little more capacity than the usual waist pack when hiking, but they are absolutely perfect for bicycling, especially touring.

#284853 - 07/02/17 04:39 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Around my neck of the woods, anyone my age wearing a fanny pack is like hanging a signboard around your neck saying "Gun!" Ditto for wearing a vest (the uninsulated ones, like you see on fishermen, photographers, and Harley riders). Nothing wrong with carrying a gun (legally), but if you also wear a fanny pack, then you've given up whatever element of surprise you might have had.

#284855 - 07/02/17 05:48 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a bit of fan of lumbar packs for outdoors activities (although not so much for urban wear). I've got a bunch of them ranging in size from the Mountainsmith Vibe II (pretty small) to a Mountainsmith Tour (pretty large). I've also got two True North Gear packs, a SERAC SAR and a Double Diamond. The TNG packs and the Tour are all very large lumbar packs that have good compression straps as well as shoulder straps that work great when the load out is on the heavy side. They're nice for warmer weather IMO since they don't make my back sweaty like a backpack, so they're great for day hikes.

The only time I like the dreaded 'fanny pack' for urban wear is on the rare occasion that I want to make a quick late night run to the store or for wearing to the gym. I can get my wallet, keys and my Ruger LCRx .38 Special and one speed strip into the Vibe II; that makes it great for when I'm wearing sweats and don't have pockets yet still want to have my wallet and a sidearm.

#284856 - 07/03/17 01:02 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I wear a 5.11 holster waist pack but only while riding my bicycle. It's not all that subtle as to what might be in it.

#284857 - 07/03/17 02:05 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have a very old fanny pack holster that I purchased in the 80's. Can't recall if it's by Desantis or Galco (both made similar items). It was designed for a large semi-auto and I regularly carried a cocked-and-locked Browning Hi-Power within. Hey, it was the 80's! A fanny pack wasn't really out of place at the time. Probably I still have it around somewhere in a box.

Apropos of nothing around that same time I bought a Galco Miami Classic should rig for my BHP as well. Seems like it cost the princely sum or $100 or so, a small fortune to a college kid in the 80's. I still have that as well but I haven't carried the Browning a long time, having transitioned to more modern designs by HK.

Circling back to lumbar packs I still regard the True North Gear SERAC SAR as the best day pack out there even though it hasn't been made in at least five years.

#284858 - 07/03/17 06:04 AM Re: A little love for the fanny pack [Re: Phaedrus]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
There are bigger fannypacks, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.