Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#284751 - 06/12/17 01:24 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

You may just be unconscious, not completely dead.

#284754 - 06/12/17 02:50 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Dog tags have worked for a long time. My registered brand if anyone bothered to look it up. I liked the Todd tattoo from the Kurt Russell movie "Soldier", but facial tattoo is is a bit much.

#284755 - 06/12/17 04:41 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Montanero
You may just be unconscious, not completely dead.

With apologies, I can't help but think of The Princess Bride:

Inigo Montoya: He's dead. He can't talk.
Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: What's that?
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

grin

You are right, of course. It certainly would be useful to have ID if I was alive but unresponsive. I would think my wallet would be on me but that's not a certainty I suppose.

#284759 - 06/13/17 01:40 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a RoadID for running and biking. Works fine for hiking too. No affiliation.

#284772 - 06/14/17 05:41 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Years ago, I saw a newscast about an unidentifed, now dead, Good Samaritan. The newscaster said he'd taken to wearing his old armed forces dog tag, when he went jogging.

Thereafter, I purchased a SS neck medallion from the .Medic Alert Foundation. They are a long standing not for profit. The medallion or bracelet has ID & emergency medical info inscribed. There are also an inscribed personal ID number and toll free phone number. A hospital can call, give the ID number and get your presubmitted medical history and next of kin.

EMS is trained to check for such ID. I highly recommend this option.

If I'm going on an especially long power walk, especially when I cross the state line, I also carry an inexpensive see-thru plastic waterproof wallet. It contains my driver's license, credit card, medical insurance card, ~$200, (2) aspirin, (2) H bandaids and (2) small antiseptic wipes. Further equipment includes my cell phone, key chain with Fox whistle and E-01 flashlight ( lithium battery), hot ironed yellow bandana vacuum sealed & with 40" folded Gorilla tape ,flat rolled on some plastic report cover. Now, post recent surgery, I also carry a hickory crookneck walking stick, just in case and for a boost on hills and stairs.

I know it sounds like a lot of kit. But it's light and compacts into 2-3 pockets in my running shorts or Patagonia Stand-Up shorts. I don't notice the weight on my trek. I didn't mean to pirate the thread, but one thing seemed to flow from one to the other.

Edited by acropolis5 (06/14/17 05:52 AM)

#284774 - 06/14/17 12:33 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I wouldn't count on putting a tag in the wallet, since it's likely get stolen by the local entrepreneurs before the coroner gets around to scraping you up.

That's a good point. One of the Portland train victims was robbed after his death. It seems like a non-wallet means of ID is definitely important.

Some are suggesting Road ID and Medic Alert. As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?

#284793 - 06/16/17 04:45 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Bingley: My Medic Alert medallion has my name; blood type & rh factor; medical conditions (e.g. Drug allergy, ) & my ID number + the Medic Alert 800 number. On file at the Medic Alrert database is a longer medical history and emergency contact info. The hospital calls the 800 number, gives your ID number and can access the info. I'm not sure if they can also do it on-line. I'll inquire.

Edited by acropolis5 (06/16/17 04:46 AM)

#284795 - 06/16/17 07:22 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Bingley
As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?

For me, I look at it in terms of what can kill me the quickest, and that is my diabetes and dependence on insulin. All the other meds I take are for conditions that, absent the meds, are long term threats, but not an immediate danger if I miss them for a while.

As for Blood type, I have been told that regardless of what Blood type shown on any identification on you, modern medical practice is to type your blood before giving you a transfusion.

Also, apparently locally, (and hopefully nationally) it is now SOP to check the blood sugar of an unconscious person. This, apparently, due to the extent of diabetes in the general population. But on this I defer to those members with more up to date and accurate information.

So on my med alert I have 2 words, "Diabetes" and "Insulin."

#284799 - 06/17/17 06:13 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Some are suggesting Road ID and Medic Alert. As I think about this, I wonder: what kind of medical information do emergency people care about? Are there some things more important than others, or do you provide the a fairly comprehensive medical profile to the companies?

There's always the old "In case of emergency" cards. I keep mine tucked in behind my drivers license figuring that the paramedics or cops are going to go through your wallet looking for ID or medical insurance. Mine has contact information for my wife, my doctor, and a list of my medications & dosages.

If there's a particularly pressing issue, like a drug allergy or a pre-existing condition, it should go on a medical alert pendents or bracelet. You could put it on a dog tag, but make sure that the tag is decorated with a Star of Life or Caduceus so the paramedics know it's medical and not just jewlery

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284804 - 06/18/17 06:00 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
DW had her allergy tattooed onto her right forearm along with a medical cadeuces.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.