Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#284719 - 06/07/17 10:46 AM What info to leave to ID your body?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I read about a banker who attempted to defend a woman during the recent London attack. Apparently he might have perished, and the authorities have asked his family to help identify him by providing his fingerprints. This made me think: we don't normally keep forensic information on our friends and family. So (1) what information should we leave in case we go missing or end up dead? (2) How do you store it for the authorities and family/friends to access, while protecting your privacy?

I guess from watching crime drama on TV, (1) would include fingerprints, DNA sample (hair? blood? semen?), and dental records. What else?

I would have no idea how to store this stuff. Put it in a box marked "DNA info" and leave it in a visible area in your house?

Obviously you can leave one of those dramatic videos where you identify your killer (turns out, he's your long lost twin!).

#284720 - 06/07/17 12:25 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
DNA -always with you and unique

#284722 - 06/07/17 01:10 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
NAro Offline
Addict

I understood the question to be what could YOU leave behind to facilitate identification of YOU if deceased or unable to interact with the authorities.

The first attempt to confirm identity will be fingerprints. You COULD leave a fingerprint card (you can find numerous private agencies to provide one) with a trusted party.

The second layer will be dental. The coroner/police will consult a forensic odontologist (dentist) to look at x-rays of the deceased and compare to x-rays from a dentist. So if you have a dentist who has taken x-rays of you mouth, you can leave the dentist's name with your trusted party: the coroner will probably insist on directly contacting that dentist for a copy of the x-rays...so I don't know if giving a copy to your trusted party would be of any help.

In spite of what you watch on CSI, DNA will be a bit later in the evidence chain (cost, time frame)... but you could leave a lock of your hair with the trusted party.

#284723 - 06/07/17 01:29 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: NAro]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You could wear an ankle bracelet with your name on it, dog tags, or slip one of the dog tag metal pieces into your wallet.

#284725 - 06/07/17 03:05 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Dogtag around my neck with full name and SSN. Didn't have one in the military but can buy them made as you desire from a few outdoor stores.

Stainless steel so it will survive an airplane crash.

They also make red aluminum ones for if you have a medical issue that should be worn around your neck. (not plane crash worthy though)

Neck chain makes a good place to carry house key and emergency whistle for other occasions.

#284726 - 06/07/17 04:00 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a Road ID which has as much ID as I need and room for additional.

#284727 - 06/07/17 05:23 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I carry state, federal, company ID's plus a medical file microfiche. If I know that I'm going into a risky operation, I'll wear my dogtags as well.

#284732 - 06/07/17 10:15 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: haertig]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: NAro
I understood the question to be what could YOU leave behind to facilitate identification of YOU if deceased or unable to interact with the authorities.

The first attempt to confirm identity will be fingerprints. You COULD leave a fingerprint card (you can find numerous private agencies to provide one) with a trusted party.

The second layer will be dental. The coroner/police will consult a forensic odontologist (dentist) to look at x-rays of the deceased and compare to x-rays from a dentist. So if you have a dentist who has taken x-rays of you mouth, you can leave the dentist's name with your trusted party: ...

A 10 fingerprint card is part of the missing child kit. It shouldn't be to hard to get a card for adults. If left with a trusted person, along with pictures of any prominent scars or tattoos, copies of dental X-rays, and relevant medical records (I have a collection of old breaks and some bits and pieces that I wasn't born with). I believe you are allowed to request a copy of your records.

Originally Posted By: haertig
You could wear an ankle bracelet with your name on it, dog tags, or slip one of the dog tag metal pieces into your wallet.

Dog tags were issued to school kids during the 1950's for the purpose of identifying loose kids, or the remains of one, after getting nuked. If you have a medical condition, like a penicillin allergy, then a MedAlert tag isn't an option. I wouldn't count on putting a tag in the wallet, since it's likely get stolen by the local entrepreneurs before the coroner gets around to scraping you up.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284748 - 06/11/17 07:14 PM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
for years, while hiking, i laced a dog tag through my left boot with the existing shoelaces. sorry to say that doesn't work with my current hiking boots.

in addition also while hiking, as mentioned above, i do wear a dog tag and whistle on a neck chain.

presupposing you have either or both of these, if you comb / brush your hair and your teeth, there's plenty of dna left behind for testing.

#284750 - 06/12/17 01:05 AM Re: What info to leave to ID your body? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess it has never occurred to me to care what happens to my body once I'm done using it. But it does make sense that you would want to be ID'd, for the family to have some closure. I always have my wallet on me which has several forms of ID but if that was lost I guess they'd have to figure out who I was by some other means.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.