Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#284590 - 05/21/17 08:35 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: acropolis5]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Friends, if we are talking about a small,basic, nearly indestructible, AAA, hard use key chain light, the winner , IMO, is the Fenix E-01., at $11. 13 lumens is more than enough for any keychain light and "find the keyhole or light my way out of the darkened stairway" ... With an alkaline battery the E-01 is reported at ~20+ hours.

Acropolis5 makes good points.

My EDC AAA light was nearly twice that price - a $20 (Amazon) twisty Olight i3S (20/80/0.5) lumens for ( 8 hr / 35 min / 60 hrs), (review here), similar to Hikermor's Fenix LD01 twisty (72/3) lumens for (1.5/20) hours.

I think acropolis5 is correct that the cheaper, fixed output Fenix E-01 is a more practical choice than my Olight - 90% of my use is in the (default) 20 lumen mode, and I expect 13 lumens would work just as well, in which case the 20 hr Fenix E-01 battery life (and half the cost) is a winner.

I do like the flexibility of having the high-power mode on tap, though, and the "moonlight" mode is superb for coming to bed late without waking my wife.

My other EDC light is a 4.5 lumen, 12 hr coincell "squeeze on" Doug Ritter Photon Freedom keylight with the "covert" beam shield. I got the Olight because sometimes the Photon would turn on in my pocket and drain the battery (though it is working fine now – hmmm.). Hikermor's suggestion of carrying a spare battery might have been a help there, though changing the Photon battery in the dark would be daunting.

I don't think the "where did I put that?" yellow Doug Ritter Photon version is still available, but you can get the same light in black/white/pink from the manufacturer or retailers.

The Photon comes with a magnetic cap clip for hands-free use as a cap light or lantern.

Looking back at this - I think I'm a sucker for gadgets, and the manufacturers have my number ...

#284592 - 05/22/17 12:45 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: rafowell
Looking back at this - I think I'm a sucker for gadgets, and the manufacturers have my number ...

It is just barely possible that you might not be the only one on this forum who can make that statement - me included!

#284593 - 05/22/17 01:21 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto.

#284594 - 05/22/17 02:57 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: CJK]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I kind of reach the moment with lots of things, that I simply do not care about something new... My EDC light is still my Fenix LD10, from 2008 I think?

#284600 - 05/23/17 03:24 AM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: rafowell]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks rafowell for the reinforcement. Strange you should mention the Photon light. I don't always ascribe to the "One is none. Two is one." philosophy. But in my urban existence, emergency lighting is so critical a requirement that my keychain always has a second, backup flashlight. My choice Is a Photon Freedom, with a yellow LED, mounted backwards in its clip-in holder, to prevent an accidental "on". The whole unit is X wrapped in the supplied neck lanyard. This duo has served me well for many a year.

#284613 - 05/23/17 08:01 PM Re: New EDC LED Solitaire [Re: acropolis5]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Thanks rafowell for the reinforcement. Strange you should mention the Photon light. I don't always ascribe to the "One is none. Two is one." philosophy. But in my urban existence, emergency lighting is so critical a requirement that my keychain always has a second, backup flashlight. My choice Is a Photon Freedom, with a yellow LED, mounted backwards in its clip-in holder, to prevent an accidental "on". The whole unit is X wrapped in the supplied neck lanyard. This duo has served me well for many a year.

I have the white covert model loaded with a single 2032 instead of duel 2016 coin cell. The initial output drops to about 4-5 lumens from 10+, but the usable runtime (minimum output needed to navigate stairs) goes from 2-3 hour to 5-10 hours. I've found it a good light for not disturbing others, but it's more of a specialty/tertiary light. I've got an old Mini Maglite with an aftermarket 1/2 watt LED for when I know I'm going to walking around after dark.

My primary EDC is a Fenix 05, and I've found the extra modes are worth the complexity. My only real complaint is lithium primaries give you almost no warning before dying. Alkaline will give you a couple of days notice before it dies.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.