Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#284417 - 05/02/17 01:46 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I didn't use goggle, wink but here are the ProTac 2L Operating Instructions
Quote:
...GENERAL OPERATION
The ProTac 1L/2L features a programmable switch with momentary operation (light press or tap) and constant on operation (press until click). The light is shipped from the factory in the default High-Strobe-Low program.
* High: Tap and hold; click to lock on; click again for off.
* Strobe: Fast double-tap (within 0.4 seconds) and hold; click to lock on; click again for off.
* Low: Fast triple-tap (within 0.4 seconds per tap) and hold; click to lock on; click again for off.

Accessing Other Programs
The ProTac 1L/2L features a TEN-TAPTM programmable switch allowing the user to select one of three different programs. To change to the next program, starting from the “Off” position, tap the switch rapidly 9 times (within 0.4 seconds per tap) and hold it down the 10th time. Continue holding the switch until the light turns off (approximately 1 second), then release the switch. Available programs are High-Strobe- Low (Factory Default), High Only or Low-High. ...

Personally I never use a strobe setting so the factory default wouldn't work for me. I'd set it up for Low-High. A 30 Lumen low setting is it. I'd like a much lower low and a 30 Lumen medium, but that's just me.

Nice find, have fun.

#284420 - 05/02/17 02:27 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

As long as the thread is open again... The light I carry when I need a lot of illumination out the front end is the Thrunite TN-12. It has six output settings, well spread out from a very low 0.4 lumen Firefly mode to a Max around 850 lumen for the neutral white. The cool white version is advertised at 1100 lumen.

Other lights I have clipped to my pocket depending on situation (which I bought from CountyComm.com ) are:
A not quite neutral white Cree LED, Titanium body AAA (no longer available),
A neutral (warmer) white Nichia LED, AAA dressed in copper and,
A neutral (warmer) white Nichia LED, AA dressed in titanium.
All are nice lights, the two Nichia LED lights are available last I looked, but that can change. Check CountyComm's light page for current offerings. No affiliation other than liking their lights.

Edit: One more thought... I want an EDC light that initializes in its lowest setting. If I'm walking around at night with my eyes fairly well night adjusted, I do not want to blind myself when my light turns on. I like a low-Low, not simply lower than High -- 1 lumen or lower would be ideal, but some companies just don't get it. The CountyComm lights don't all initialize in low and their lows aren't all low enough IMO. The Ti AA is L-M-H, but the copper AAA and the Ti AAA are M-L-H. I carry the Ti AA at night when my eyes are more likely to be sensitized and I carry the AAA lights during the day when my eyes are not so sensitive. It's just something to consider. On this subject, the Thrunite TN-12 has a mode button separate from the On/Off switch. The light turns on at whatever setting you had it when it was turned off. I normally have that light turn on in Mode 4 which is about 400 lumen. That flashlight only comes out when a lot of light is required. Typically, that means coyotes when I'm walking the dog.

Edited by Russ (05/02/17 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: One more thought...

#284422 - 05/02/17 04:29 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
BacPacJac,

You can find all the info on the ProTac 2L (including the manual) here:

ProTac 21

#284425 - 05/02/17 08:58 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Ideal, from the ground up light
4AAA in a 2x2 flat pattern
IP67 dustproof/waterproof
Fully regulated
Three mode (6 lumen, 30 lumen, 150 lumen) tail clicky
Impact resistant to 2m
<3 oz w/o with batteries

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284429 - 05/03/17 12:00 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Pete Offline
Veteran

perfect light

not expensive
uses a few AA batteries
is reasonably bright (but cannot illuminate Moscow from Alaska)
is lightweight

the whole world of flashlights has turned so incredibly complicated - it has become ridiculous. you would think that some people are selling Ferraris, the way that they talk.

My suggestion ... keep it simple and inexpensive.
You can always buy another :-)

ete

#284432 - 05/03/17 02:38 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A flashlight is a tool, and you need the right tool for the job you need it to do. Basic survival and hiking do not NEED a powerful light. You need the perfect light for what you do.

#284434 - 05/03/17 04:40 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't like a lot of modes on a light. My preference is for single or dual mode lights. I'd rather it turn on in whatever mode I left it in last time; as a compromise I'll accept it automatically coming on in HIGH. This is because in an emergency I want max illumination, and if it's not an emergency I have time to change the modes.

Except for keychain lights and perhaps some very limited, special applications I use CR123a batteries. I do keep a few lights that use AA or AAA, always with lithiums. Personally I have little to no use for any other kind of batteries. My collection includes one legacy light that uses 3 x C-cells but if I lost that light I would not replace it.

Max power is low down my list of priorities. Sure, an uber-bright light is sometimes useful (eg weapon use, SAR) but for the most part a couple hundred to a thousand lumens on the high end is sufficient for my purposes. A LOW setting of 5-25 lumens is about right for me.

I place a premium on reliability; everything else is secondary. It doesn't matter how bright the light or how great the ergonomics if it breaks after a three foot fall from my pack. A good, intuitive UI is my next priority, good tint follows close behind in 3rd place. 4th place is output.

#284439 - 05/03/17 11:20 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The other side of the battery issue are those of us who use rechargeable batteries -- 18650 Li-ion for my high output Thrunight and Eneloop NiMH AA or AAA batteries for the rest. I have a few lithium primary batteries here but they're back-ups. YMMV.

#284440 - 05/03/17 01:22 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My most used light is my EDC, a Fenix LD02, simply because it is with me when I need it. At either 50 or 100 lumens, it provides enough light for most (but not all!) purposes.

#284445 - 05/03/17 02:23 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Too many lumens. I often need just enough light to reach into shadows at night without ruining my natural night vision. When I need a lot of light to make coyotes uncomfortable it's nice to have that option, but more often I need way less.

Flashlight manufacturers should pay more attention to the low end imo. Foursevens has a Moonlight mode and Thrunite has a Firefly mode, but most flashlights don't go anywhere near low enough. YMMV

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.