Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#284398 - 05/01/17 04:45 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: clearwater

You must be one of those handsome SAR members, shirtless in the southern California sun, rescuing famous Hollywood starlets.

Only in my dreams....Actually did most of my SAR in southern Arizona (Tucson) and we were usually dealing with the usual stock in trade, 17-24 year old males.

I do remember one victim though. The deputy read the description - "female, blonde over blue, 115 lbs" and the murmur of excitement that swept through the (mostly male) SAR group. I had to walk all night, tracking her for about six miles, but we found her. As always, it was profoundly satisfying to help someone in need..

I am now in SoCal, but you don't get many starlets on the Channel Islands, except for Santa Catalina.

So, J-I, if you are ever lost in the trackless wilds, you can count on motivated rescuers....

#284405 - 05/01/17 09:20 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: M_a_x]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
In training we tried cutting seat belts with good EMT shears as well. The shears did a far better job. They also where superior to knives. I doubt that this would change in real world scenarios.
Newbies tend to struggle when trying to cut a seat belt with the seat belt cutter without prior instruction on the technique. It is hard to do if you try to cut at a right angle.

Pull webbing tight and cut at about 45 degree does the trickfor me. What most people without training do is cut at 90 degree and loose webbing, well that takes forever...

For cars, seatbelt cutters build in to a rescue hammer with a proper mount, does seem to be the right tool for the job. Have not seen shears with a proper car mount yet...

#284406 - 05/01/17 11:02 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would wonder if good EMT shears would not do everything a seat belt cutter would do and be more versatile in cutting clothing to expose wounds, etc.

Thanks for your real world imput...

From what I understand, shears are preferred to hook knives, and very much preferred to conventional knives for cutting belts and clothes away. It's not a matter of jammed buckles, but getting to the buckle past the victim, airbags, and distorted cabin. It's just faster to cut the strap.

FWIW, I've only heard of two cases of jammed seat belt buckle. The first was a jeep that rolled over while off roading. The weight of the driver (~250 lbs) hanging from the belt was enough to jam the buckle. The second was a recall on a child seat. The various detritus from toddlers and preschoolers were enough to gum up the workings of the buckle.

Getting back to the OP, Opinels, some SAKs if you can find them on sale. Work knives (Stanley, Utica, Ontario, Murphy) can be had pretty cheap.

EDIT: If I had $110, I'd go for a $50 fixie and a $60 MT. Better two decent quality knives, then one really good one and one so-so one.

Edited by Mark_R (05/01/17 11:12 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284408 - 05/02/17 04:51 AM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The list if pretty short if you're looking for a good knife for $10 or less. Depending on where you live, the local laws, how you dress, etc. and if you need a folder or can live with a fixed blade I can think of a few choices. For folders the Opinels are indeed very good knives. They have a variety of sizes in several different steels; the carbon ones take a very good edge. They lock securely and don't look tactical at all. Not easy to deploy one handed though. The Cold Steel Kudo is also a good option. It's a copy of the African Okapi and is somewhat on the large side for a folder (again, check your local laws). It's a bit 'quirky' to operate but very strong with a blade of decent steel.

For fixed blades you can get a Mora for right around $10 if you shop carefully. They're great knives for the money, maybe great knifes regardless of the price. The steel is good and they come shaving sharp (generally, it varies a bit). Lastly the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite is around $13 and sometimes it dips under $10 on Amazon. It's a screaming bargain if you can get it for that price. Last time it got down under $10 I bought five of them.

#284415 - 05/02/17 01:25 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Watching the Weather Channel this AM and they played a very dramatic video showing a passerby working to extricate two young children from a vehicle overturned in a stream. He shouts "a knife....I need a sharp knife" or words to that effect. Video is probably available from other sources as well.

It is always heartening to see total strangers responding to an emergency.

#284416 - 05/02/17 01:42 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"Lastly the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite is around $13 and sometimes it dips under $10 on Amazon. It's a screaming bargain if you can get it for that price. Last time it got down under $10 I bought five of them."

Reading this I went immediately to the CS catalog and I note that the Pendleton Lite lists for $25. It must be produced in some sort of nondescript steel because there are other versions up to $149 in 3V, I believe. They all have pointy tips and (presumably) a sharp edge.

UST has a line of cheap knives, listing for all on $10. Does anyone have any experience with their stuff? I think they are relatively new and I haven't seen them in any stores yet.

#284418 - 05/02/17 02:03 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: quick_joey_small]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
I have had good luck with Coast Knives. I originally started looking at the line for my 12 yr old boy scout, so I would get less upset when he lost them. I kept one to play with, and gave one to him.
I have carried it for the last 3 months with relatively few issues.

I picked up a blister pack with 2 LX236 for ~14.00, or 7.00 each.

lock back, hole in handle like spyderco 1/2 serrated.
Pocket clip.

Currently a similar model is at Home Depot (BX111) for 8.49.

It is no benchmade, or even a spyderco (ok, maybe a spyderco Byrd), but not too shabby. Clip caught on couch and bent, had to unscrew from knife to fix it, took 5 minutes.
It did NOT like cutting carpet, edge badly dulled in 2 strokes, but less than 2 minutes with a DMT had it cutting hair again.

#284421 - 05/02/17 03:19 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: LCranston]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LCranston
I have had good luck with Coast Knives.

I remember having one of those years ago. First one was pretty good, second one (same model) was really badly build. Looked terrible and things didn't fit properly.

#284423 - 05/02/17 07:02 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
"Lastly the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite is around $13 and sometimes it dips under $10 on Amazon. It's a screaming bargain if you can get it for that price. Last time it got down under $10 I bought five of them."

Reading this I went immediately to the CS catalog and I note that the Pendleton Lite lists for $25. It must be produced in some sort of nondescript steel because there are other versions up to $149 in 3V, I believe. They all have pointy tips and (presumably) a sharp edge.

I forget the steel, want to say it's Krupp maybe? It's not high end but quite serviceable. Holds and edge fairly wall and isn't difficult to resharpen. Looks I remembered the price wrong- it's more like $17 at Amazon. I have over 300 knives so it's hard to keep all the prices straight. blush

#284424 - 05/02/17 08:40 PM Re: Best Sub $10 EDC Knives? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
About KRUPP 4116. Medium carbon, fine grained, and corrosion resistant steel used in brand name German kitchen cutlery
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=4116

I've had very poor luck with Coast knives, but the Milwaukee knives (~$15) from Home Depot are half decent. Steel is probably Chinese AUS6 equivalent.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.