Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#284385 - 05/01/17 02:09 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Ah I forgot we had that section! Last post was in December I see, but some must use it.

qjs

#284387 - 05/01/17 02:15 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I am an amateur radio operator. We address every female as "young lady".

#284389 - 05/01/17 02:23 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the standard ploys in urban survival is to flee to the countryside (carrying tea and vodka, of course) with a big, gnarly blade to fend off critters....

#284392 - 05/01/17 02:39 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Ah I forgot we had that section! Last post was in December I see, but some must use it.

To be more specific, I joined because I had a question on knives. Why is a knife needed in an urban environment? I never got an answer.

I EDC EMT shears.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284393 - 05/01/17 02:47 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
One of the standard ploys in urban survival is to flee to the countryside (carrying tea and vodka, of course) with a big, gnarly blade to fend off critters....

That's a valid statement. I don't know how a person from the city is expected to survive without McDonald's, 7-Eleven or a vending machine.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284399 - 05/01/17 05:40 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

To be more specific, I joined because I had a question on knives. Why is a knife needed in an urban environment? I never got an answer.

I EDC EMT shears.

Jeanette Isabelle

EMT shears are a good choice, but even better would be a selection from the vast array of multitools available. Leatherman has a vast array, especially. For urban use, I would go with a PS4, hands down - small blade, scissors, screwdrivers, file, etc. Tiny and very useful, especially the scissors.

Larger versions are available.

#284400 - 05/01/17 06:06 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Spring action scissors are not as good as a pair of EMT Shears.

There have been situations in which a screwdriver is good to have. Otherwise I don't see a purpose in a multi tool.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284401 - 05/01/17 07:44 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I find I use my multi-tool almost exclusively in urban environments. My SAK gets some use too, but I almost never need a fixed blade for anything other than cooking or playing. Screw drivers, pliers, awl, file and blades all come in handy for me. Many an adventure has been put back on track thanks to those babies! In fact, at one point, I was tempted to carry two, after several mechanical failures on bicycle trips around the city. wink

To Jeanette Isabelle's point, I also have a small pair of EMT shears in my urban edc. I added them when I flew to Saskatchewan in the summer and had to leave my Leatherman at home. I took them out a while ago because they seemed redundant, but put them back in a couple weeks ago after my daughter took an ugly tumble of the playground slide stairs while we were on a family road trip. My Wave scissors just didn't cut it. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284403 - 05/01/17 08:25 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What really sets a multitool apart is good pliers, like those on the Wave. I have added a Bit Kit, in order to deal with all the fastenings that are out there now, along with a bit extender, and a home made awl. I fill up the sheath with a four inch crescent wrench, resulting in a pretty decent small tool kit on my belt, where it is kind of heavy. I typically place it in my car or bicycle, environments where I am most likely to use it. Out in the woods, I am very happy with the Skeletool, usually. It all depends on how likely it might be to tinker with something mechanical.

#284404 - 05/01/17 08:53 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

I carried a SAK for a short while. The only thing on it I ever needed was the screwdriver.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.