Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#284407 - 05/02/17 03:02 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
There have been situations in which a screwdriver is good to have. Otherwise I don't see a purpose in a multi tool.

I've fixed bicycles, garage doors, zippers, tents, cars, a light aircraft, more zippers, radios, servers, routers, firewalls, shoes, even more zippers, an oven, several faucets, drains, shelving, furniture, gates, a bunch of cans, firearms, innumerable beer bottles and even more zippers with a multitool. As useful as I find screwdrivers, bottle openers, can openers, knife blades, awls, scissors and files, I tend to use the pliers the most.

#284410 - 05/02/17 06:40 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Glad to see our other female regular contributor has joined this thread!
Your expertise and knowledge is much appreciated! And I want you to know it has nothing, nothing to do with you being female at all, oh no, no, no!

Errr.... can you dance?

qjs

#284412 - 05/02/17 12:16 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great thread, gang!

HAHAH! You crack me up, QJS! If there's plentiful tea and vodka, I could probably learn how to dance. Heck, if I stick around ETS long enough I'll probably learn it here. I'm afraid my best dancing days are behind me now, though. Every time I try to boogie with the kids I throw out a hip or a knee. Good thing we've got first aid experts on team ETS too. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284426 - 05/02/17 10:21 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I carried a SAK for a short while. The only thing on it I ever needed was the screwdriver.

Jeanette Isabelle

Wow!

I've carried a SAK for over over 35 years, and it is my most used tool:
screwdriver, both Phillips and flat blade (anything needing a screwdriver---lots of things)
Large Blade (Blister packs, mostly, also cut up a lot of Apples, anything that needs to be cut, etc.)
Small Blade (smaller packages, cut small things)
Can Opener: Lunch, cans
Bottle opener: Lunch, bottles
Awl: punching holes in things
Toothpick & Tweezers: their intended functions..

too many times to remember. . .

It is never quite the best tool for the situation, but it always gets the job done for me. . .

#284427 - 05/02/17 10:45 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bws48]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bws48
Blister packs

I use my EDC EMT shears for that.

That one time the SAK came in handy as a screwdriver. When I worked in the distribution center, I used the blunt tip of my shears to change box cutter blades. Rest of the time I use a screwdriver when I needed a screwdriver.

Can Opener: Lunch, cans

There's a can opener in the kitchen, the only place I need a can opener.

Tweezers

I keep tweezers in my makeup kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284428 - 05/02/17 10:56 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I've fixed bicycles, garage doors, zippers, tents, cars, a light aircraft, more zippers, radios, servers, routers, firewalls, shoes, even more zippers, an oven, several faucets, drains, shelving, furniture, gates, a bunch of cans, firearms, innumerable beer bottles and even more zippers with a multitool. As useful as I find screwdrivers, bottle openers, can openers, knife blades, awls, scissors and files, I tend to use the pliers the most.

I can build a computer, do simple automotive repair jobs, take measurements and disassemble and reassemble my desk with just the tools in my tool bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284430 - 05/03/17 12:04 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I still want to know what happens if you put a can of sardines in the freezer. but I suspect that you just get sardines that are frozen solid. I don't think that the can would burst. Otherwise, all those old guys in Norway who row boats and chew on old sardines would starve to death.

but who knows?

I prefer that someone else explode frozen sardines over THEIR refrigerator. that's really why I asked :-)

Pete

#284433 - 05/03/17 02:40 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I will go get some sardines tomorrow and let you know in a couple of days.

#284435 - 05/03/17 06:57 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Tweezers are one area the SAK needs supplementing. The SAK tweezers are too light for removing ticks. With their rise and the increase in Lymes Disease in the UK I now also carry needled nose tweezers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...-great-outdoors

Regarding the bug out party (in every meaning of the word).
Being an Irishman I can of course dance. God didn't make the Irish in his own image to come second. But I'm not going to brag about it. In modesty as in all things we are supreme.
I can riverdance, but only the arm movements; that makes me half as good as Michael Flatley.

qjs

#284436 - 05/03/17 07:04 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Tweezers are one area the SAK needs supplementing. The SAK tweezers are too light for removing ticks. With their rise and the increase in Lymes Disease in the UK I now also carry needled nose tweezers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...-great-outdoors

Regarding the bug out party (in every meaning of the word).
Being an Irishman I can of course dance. God didn't make the Irish in his own image to come second. But I'm not going to brag about it. In modesty as in all things we are supreme.
I can riverdance, but only the arm movements; that makes me half as good as Michael Flatley.

qjs

I much prefer the V slot style tick removers. Simple to use and since piece device, so not much to go wrong. Tweezers are much harder to use properly. Plastic tick tweezers are even worse, i feel like i'm just squeezing the tick empty....

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.