Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#284279 - 04/21/17 10:51 PM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
... But it is the nature of things that some are better made than others:

So Russ would you say it's as simple as the more expensive the srk the better it will be?

qjs

I didn't say that. What I said is that you can buy three CS SRK's for the price of one in CPM-3V. That might mean you are spending 3x as much for the same capability.

I have no idea how CS heat treats their 3V. It's not a simple heat treat like that for SK5 aka 1080/1095 -- Knifeforums, "Post: what is SK-5 steel?"

Have you ever sharpened CPM-3V? How are you going to resharpen a 3V blade in the field? 1080/1095 is much easier to keep sharp. The blades I have in 3V are choppers, I wanted tough in those blades and 3V provides a lot of toughness. I'm not sure that attribute is necessary in a 6" blade. YMMV

#284280 - 04/22/17 12:04 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
sk5: Japanese equivalent to American 1080 high carbon steel. I don't have anything in this steel myself, but my reading indicates it should have superior edge retention, very good toughness, and very little resistance to corrosion.

VG1: Also from Japan and not to be confused with VG10, it should be roughly equivalent to sk5 except with good corrosion resistance.

3v: Extremely tough tool steel, won't hold an edge quite as well as VG1, and very little corrosion resistance.

#284281 - 04/22/17 12:15 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: AKSAR]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Victorinix "Spartan", which costs about $25 at REI. It is on a very short lanyard with a Fenix E01 light, and rides comfortably in my pants pocket at all times. That knife and light gets more everyday use than all my other knives, multitools, and lights combined. Mostly because it is always with me.

The best knife steel is the blade you actually have with you when need it.

The Climber is always with me. The toothpick and tweezers are long gone, but the small blade is always sharp enough to shave with, and the corkscrew has never failed me.

#284283 - 04/22/17 06:31 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
UncleGoo wrote: > The toothpick and tweezers are long gone,

outdoor shops sell replacements for hardly anything.

qjs

#284284 - 04/22/17 06:39 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Thanks for the specifics chaosmagnet,that is what I wanted to know.

qjs

#284298 - 04/24/17 09:28 PM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: UncleGoo]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Victorinix "Spartan", which costs about $25 at REI. It is on a very short lanyard with a Fenix E01 light, and rides comfortably in my pants pocket at all times. That knife and light gets more everyday use than all my other knives, multitools, and lights combined. Mostly because it is always with me.

The best knife steel is the blade you actually have with you when need it.

The Climber is always with me. The toothpick and tweezers are long gone, but the small blade is always sharp enough to shave with, and the corkscrew has never failed me.

LM Squirt S2 attached to a Fenix05. 3 oz, $40, and so long as you keep the blade shaving sharp, adequate for most urban tasks.

Among the heavy use "survival" knives: For inland and arid survival: I'd look first at the ability to field sharpen it, then at toughness, then at edge retention, and finally at corrosion resistance (SK-5). For coastal, wet, and marine survival, I'd look first at corrosions resistance, then at the ability to field sharpen it, then at toughness, and last at edge retention(VG-1). No knife will be able to retain it's edge under extended hard use, so make sure you can touch it up anywhere, any time, with a pocket stone or rod.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284299 - 04/24/17 10:11 PM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Speaking of edge retention in coastal, wet, or marine environments, let's add knife retention as a worthwhile trait - most likely a wrist lanyard so the knife stays with you.

you'll never guess why I consider that to be important.....

#284304 - 04/26/17 08:38 PM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Speaking of edge retention in coastal, wet, or marine environments, let's add knife retention as a worthwhile trait - most likely a wrist lanyard so the knife stays with you.

you'll never guess why I consider that to be important.....

IS that reason now residing in the bottom of the bay?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#284305 - 04/27/17 03:29 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: quick_joey_small]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
An SRK in SK5 is all anyone really needs in that platform. You can spend more money, but it's not going to improve the functionality. A decade ago I bought my first two in Baghdad. The reason was because the soldiers patrolling in and around the IZ and beyond were replacing their issued K-Bars with them. As for whether they are a decent survival knife, I suppose that depends on what you intend to survive. For what I had in mind, they were quite suitable. YMMV. There is no perfect knife, simply the one you have at hand. Acquisition can enhance versatility.

Nowadays, I edc the same old Leatherman Wave I had before I went to Iraq. It is still nice and sharp, and if it was all I had to get by, it allows me to do a lot of tasks in one small package. Except for hard core wilderness survival or combat, the Wave is really all I need to get by.

#284307 - 04/27/17 11:21 AM Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? [Re: benjammin]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Is the sheath MOLLE compatible?

qjs

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 353 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.