Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#284239 - 04/16/17 07:18 AM tinned foots burst when they freeze?
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Survial Lilly shows a cache:

https://youtu.be/gy_el36iOIM

But what really interests me is the comments.

Do tinned foots burst when they freeze? If so; what is the food for a long term cache?
qjs

#284241 - 04/16/17 08:02 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

Do tinned foots burst when they freeze?

If the tinned food contain any fluid, it will expand when freezing and most likely crack open the tin, not 100% sure but a big risk nevertheless. I think the best choise would be tinned meat, they usually do not contain alot of fluid but mostly fat and therefore should not expand to the point of bursting the tin. In my oppinion best choise to store would be freeze dried food.

#284242 - 04/16/17 08:20 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Do tinned foots burst when they freeze? If so; what is the food for a long term cache?
qjs

That depends on the contents and type of can. Food with high a high percentage of water (e. g. soup) will expand when freezing. Cans will most certainly bulge (thatīll happen even when the can is open). Cans with a pull ring may burst there. Other cans - especially if they have air pockets - may survive. Food with a low percentage of water (e. g. canned tuna in olive oil) will not expand enough to do damage. Regards of that the freeze/thaw cycles may degrade the food. The solution would be freeze dried food or burrying deeper (which would be a good idea anyway.
Animals might find the food in the cache by itīs smell. That is why geocaches are not supposed to have food items in them.
It may not be obvious but the camouflage on this cache was not done very well. Branches do not naturally fall the way they were placed and geocachers sometimes place branches in that way to clearly mark the location of the cache. In German speaking countries this arrangement is called "Hasengrill".

#284243 - 04/16/17 10:42 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

M a x wrote:
> The solution would be... burrying deeper

so ground is only frozen near the top? How deep would one have to go to avoid freezing?

qjs

#284244 - 04/16/17 11:23 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Yes, the ground only freezes near the top. Deeper down itīs hot enough to melt rock. Basically the thickness of this layer depends on your lattitude and altitude. I live at about 50° North at 1000' of altitude above sea level. Around here we consider about 35" as safe. Closer to the equator the ground may not freeze at all and further north youīll find permafrost. There the ground is frozen long and deep enough to preserve entire mammothes. At higher altutudes you may also find frozen ground to be very deep.
Short story: Get information about your area and act accordingly.

#284245 - 04/16/17 12:49 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
https://books.google.com/books?id=ji-Wrq...0UK&f=false

Page 342 from: Pile Design and Construction Practice, Fourth Edition
By Michael Tomlinson, John Woodward

TL:DR frostline as deep as 600mm or 2 feet, as a UK generalization.

#284246 - 04/16/17 01:06 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Freeze dried as an alternative to canned food gets around the freezing problem, except that you must have water to reconstitute FD for consumption. Depending upon circumstances, water itself may be a scarce resource.

I understand that ground below the surface, but not at great depths, holds the yearly average temperature for the immediate area, so,if you know this, and that temperature is above freezing, you don't need to worry about freezing. Ideally, you will have real good cold storage

I like canned goods for long term storage because they are cheap, can often be consumed right out of the can, and store reasonably well for a fairly long time. I like FD when I am carrying the food on my back, and I know I can count on reasonable access to water.

Edited by hikermor (04/17/17 04:43 PM)

#284258 - 04/18/17 10:01 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,
if you keep it dry, the usual
1-2 year, pasta/noodles/ramen, brown rice , flour , poptarts...
5+30+years most dry grains, white rice, most beans...
5+30+years most dry grains, white rice, most beans, sugar, ...

As for tins ,
I imagine the tall tins will last if kept dry,
the kind that require a can opener,
with lots of head space,
like a $1 can of 10-15oz of mackrel
or the short/rounds of chicken spread with thick pull tab cans
or the big squares or cylinders of white cheese with lots of head space

Freezing and Food Safety
Quote:
Frozen Cans
Cans frozen accidentally, such as those left in a car or basement in sub-zero temperatures, can present health problems. If the cans are merely swollen — and you are sure the swelling was caused by freezing — the cans may still be usable. Let the can thaw in the refrigerator before opening. If the product doesn't look and/or smell normal, throw it out. DO NOT TASTE IT! If the seams have rusted or burst, throw the cans out immediately, wrapping the burst can in plastic and disposing the food where no one, including animals can get it.

emerinfofood04 Food Safety of Frozen Canned Food - Fairfax County, Virginia
Quote:

Food Safety of Frozen Canned Food
More than pipes can freeze during icy weather. Frozen canned foods stored in unheated storage area may cause concern. If canned foods have frozen, they may still be safe to eat. Safety will depend on the condition of the can or jar. To evaluate, consider the following:
Metal Cans
• If the seams are still intact, the food is safe to use. Thaw gradually and store at room temperature.
• If the seam has broken and the food has thawed out, it should be discarded.
• If the seam has broken and food is still cold (below 41F), it may be safely transfer to a container. Store in the refrigerator or refreeze for future use.
• For an extra margin of safety, all low acid foods (meats, fish, poultry and vegetables) must be discarded.
Glass Jars
• If jars have cracked or broken during freezing, discard
• If the seal is still intact, the food is safe to use. Thaw gradually and store at room temperature. Recheck seal once thawed.
• If the seal is broken and food is thawed, discard
• If the seal is broken and food is below 41F, it may be safely transferred to a container. Store in the refrigerator or refreeze for future use.
• All food that is frozen in glass jars should be examined for spoilage before use. All low acid foods (meats, poultry, fish, and vegetables) must be discarded.
General
• Discard any product with an off color or odor. DO NOT TASTE food that looks or smells suspicious. When in Doubt, Throw it Out.
For more information, please contact the Fairfax County Health Department 703-246-2444; TTY: 711.

arctic.ru/558250 How to store canned food for 100 years without a fridge / Arctic
Quote:

The quality of black and green tea tends to improve. When stored at subzero temperatures, tea leaves become covered with tiny cracks. This makes tea more aromatic and delicious. Permafrost also benefits vodka because various chemical substances impairing its taste are destroyed during long-term storage inside permafrost, and vodka starts tasting better.
Members of the 1980 and 2010 expeditions placed wheat, rye, oat and barley grains inside the permafrost to see whether they would retain their properties.
"We brought them here, grew them, and they yielded impressive harvests. We also ground wheat and rye grains into fine flour and baked some really safe and high-quality bread," Ulanin said.

#284262 - 04/19/17 06:37 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
M a x wrote:
> The solution would be... burying deeper

so ground is only frozen near the top? How deep would one have to go to avoid freezing?

qjs

Depends where you live. Where I live on the Canadian prairies the frost goes +6' deep every winter and lakes can easily have 3'-4' ice thickness. Burying below frost line is impractical by hand but if you mechanically excavate and build a deep pantry and cover with dirt and snow (acts as an insulator) you could store a sizeable amount of food stuffs.

#284263 - 04/20/17 04:32 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"The quality of black and green tea tends to improve. When stored at subzero temperatures, tea leaves become covered with tiny cracks. This makes tea more aromatic and delicious. Permafrost also benefits vodka because various chemical substances impairing its taste are destroyed during long-term storage inside permafrost, and vodka starts tasting better."

The wonderful things you learn at ETS! i have often wondered why my brother's tea and vodka tastes so good. He lives in Minnesota. Nowweknow.....

#284264 - 04/21/17 06:06 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

grains and pulses sound the way to go to be foolproof. soya mince meals are light, compact, cheap and protein rich. you need water to make them, but if you can't get that you are dead anyway.

my bug out location however will have nothing but tea and vodka! that's all the major food groups covered :-)

qjs

#284267 - 04/21/17 01:51 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I'm bugging out with you! Should I bring sugar?

#284274 - 04/21/17 06:28 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

hikermor wrote:
> I'm bugging out with you! Should I bring sugar?

a couple of dancing girls and we'll be good to go!

qjs

#284312 - 04/27/17 06:17 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Pete Offline
Veteran

take a can of meat - or whatever you are investigating - stick it in the freezer of your refrigerator ... and see what happens.

Nothing beats real testing - right?

Pete

#284321 - 04/28/17 07:45 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Pete wrote:

> take a can of meat - or whatever you are investigating - stick it in the freezer of your refrigerator ... and see what happens.

Listen pal this isn't Mythbusters, it's 'Equipped to Survive' where denying reality is regarded as a useful survival trait (we aren't allowed to discuss global warming). If you are going to start bringing facts into this...

Seriously often asking the question gets you answers you didn't expect. I didn't know fatty foods and burying a few feet down would be solutions.
Since hikermor and I are only bringing tea and vodka it no longer matters anyway.
You know any dancing girls?

qjs

#284322 - 04/28/17 10:53 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Pete]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Pete
take a can of meat - or whatever you are investigating - stick it in the freezer of your refrigerator ... and see what happens.

Nothing beats real testing - right?

Pete

You will need to take temperature change with the test. That is different than freezing something once. So in freezer, then out and back again....

#284334 - 04/28/17 07:48 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Seriously often asking the question gets you answers you didn't expect.

Thatīs a thing which is really great about this forum. The bundled knowledge is amazing. Some members often bring aspects to the discussion I might have forgotten about. I still learn a lot here.

Since hikermor and I are only bringing tea and vodka it no longer matters anyway.

Unfortunately I do not know any. But I can bring a dreadnought and a blues harp to provide a beat they could dance to.

#284343 - 04/29/17 04:10 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Pete wrote:

> take a can of meat - or whatever you are investigating - stick it in the freezer of your refrigerator ... and see what happens.

Listen pal this isn't Mythbusters, it's 'Equipped to Survive' where denying reality is regarded as a useful survival trait (we aren't allowed to discuss global warming). If you are going to start bringing facts into this...

Seriously often asking the question gets you answers you didn't expect. I didn't know fatty foods and burying a few feet down would be solutions.

qjs

Every survival kit should include a mea culpa, with instructions on when to deploy it.

#284365 - 04/30/17 11:24 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

I'll just bring coffee.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284371 - 05/01/17 07:53 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Can you dance Jeanette?

qjs

#284374 - 05/01/17 12:03 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

No. Given my French ancestry, maybe I should learn to can-can.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284376 - 05/01/17 12:26 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Well Bonjour mademoiselle!

Hikermor and I are bringing tea and vodka and Mad Max has a blues harp and whatever a 'dreadnought' is.
This is looking like a good party!

qjs

#284377 - 05/01/17 01:15 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

I look forward to sailing the south Pacific on a dreadnought, experiencing Polynesian culture. I wonder if we'll run into the Kakamora.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284378 - 05/01/17 01:16 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

... Mad Max has a blues harp and whatever a 'dreadnought' is.
This is looking like a good party!

Itīs been a long time since someone called me "Mad Max".
A dreadnought is:
a) a battleship class
b) a guitar with a fairly big size build to produce quite a bit of sound and usually strung with bronce strings,it is often accompanied with a blues harp

Due to restrictions in space and legalities (my skipper license is only valid for vessels up to 20t and we cannot own guns big enough for a battleship) I own b) a guitar.
If itīs going to be a party with french mademoiselles, I might bring some wine as my neck of the woods (Franconia) is famous for itīs fine wines. Wine is not as frost proof as vodka so we might have to consume it before winter comes around again.

#284379 - 05/01/17 01:20 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Oops, I forgot we'd be sailing in frigid conditions.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284380 - 05/01/17 01:23 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

This Mademoiselle happens to be thirty-one.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284381 - 05/01/17 01:31 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

No offense intended. I thought it was french for 'Miss'.

qjs

#284382 - 05/01/17 01:45 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

It is. I'm just letting you know that this unmarried French girl is getting up there in years.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284383 - 05/01/17 01:57 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

40 is the new 30. so you are just 21! :-)
By the way I was reading your 'surviving a small town' thread. If you like concrete under your feet what are you on this site for?

qjs

#284384 - 05/01/17 02:03 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

By the way I was reading your 'surviving a small town' thread. If you like concrete under your feet what are you on this site for?

I joined to learn about urban survival.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284385 - 05/01/17 02:09 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Ah I forgot we had that section! Last post was in December I see, but some must use it.

qjs

#284387 - 05/01/17 02:15 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

I am an amateur radio operator. We address every female as "young lady".

#284389 - 05/01/17 02:23 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

One of the standard ploys in urban survival is to flee to the countryside (carrying tea and vodka, of course) with a big, gnarly blade to fend off critters....

#284392 - 05/01/17 02:39 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Ah I forgot we had that section! Last post was in December I see, but some must use it.

To be more specific, I joined because I had a question on knives. Why is a knife needed in an urban environment? I never got an answer.

I EDC EMT shears.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284393 - 05/01/17 02:47 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
One of the standard ploys in urban survival is to flee to the countryside (carrying tea and vodka, of course) with a big, gnarly blade to fend off critters....

That's a valid statement. I don't know how a person from the city is expected to survive without McDonald's, 7-Eleven or a vending machine.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284399 - 05/01/17 05:40 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

To be more specific, I joined because I had a question on knives. Why is a knife needed in an urban environment? I never got an answer.

I EDC EMT shears.

Jeanette Isabelle

EMT shears are a good choice, but even better would be a selection from the vast array of multitools available. Leatherman has a vast array, especially. For urban use, I would go with a PS4, hands down - small blade, scissors, screwdrivers, file, etc. Tiny and very useful, especially the scissors.

Larger versions are available.

#284400 - 05/01/17 06:06 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Spring action scissors are not as good as a pair of EMT Shears.

There have been situations in which a screwdriver is good to have. Otherwise I don't see a purpose in a multi tool.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284401 - 05/01/17 07:44 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I find I use my multi-tool almost exclusively in urban environments. My SAK gets some use too, but I almost never need a fixed blade for anything other than cooking or playing. Screw drivers, pliers, awl, file and blades all come in handy for me. Many an adventure has been put back on track thanks to those babies! In fact, at one point, I was tempted to carry two, after several mechanical failures on bicycle trips around the city. wink

To Jeanette Isabelle's point, I also have a small pair of EMT shears in my urban edc. I added them when I flew to Saskatchewan in the summer and had to leave my Leatherman at home. I took them out a while ago because they seemed redundant, but put them back in a couple weeks ago after my daughter took an ugly tumble of the playground slide stairs while we were on a family road trip. My Wave scissors just didn't cut it. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284403 - 05/01/17 08:25 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What really sets a multitool apart is good pliers, like those on the Wave. I have added a Bit Kit, in order to deal with all the fastenings that are out there now, along with a bit extender, and a home made awl. I fill up the sheath with a four inch crescent wrench, resulting in a pretty decent small tool kit on my belt, where it is kind of heavy. I typically place it in my car or bicycle, environments where I am most likely to use it. Out in the woods, I am very happy with the Skeletool, usually. It all depends on how likely it might be to tinker with something mechanical.

#284404 - 05/01/17 08:53 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

I carried a SAK for a short while. The only thing on it I ever needed was the screwdriver.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284407 - 05/02/17 03:02 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There have been situations in which a screwdriver is good to have. Otherwise I don't see a purpose in a multi tool.

I've fixed bicycles, garage doors, zippers, tents, cars, a light aircraft, more zippers, radios, servers, routers, firewalls, shoes, even more zippers, an oven, several faucets, drains, shelving, furniture, gates, a bunch of cans, firearms, innumerable beer bottles and even more zippers with a multitool. As useful as I find screwdrivers, bottle openers, can openers, knife blades, awls, scissors and files, I tend to use the pliers the most.

#284410 - 05/02/17 06:40 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Glad to see our other female regular contributor has joined this thread!
Your expertise and knowledge is much appreciated! And I want you to know it has nothing, nothing to do with you being female at all, oh no, no, no!

Errr.... can you dance?

qjs

#284412 - 05/02/17 12:16 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great thread, gang!

HAHAH! You crack me up, QJS! If there's plentiful tea and vodka, I could probably learn how to dance. Heck, if I stick around ETS long enough I'll probably learn it here. I'm afraid my best dancing days are behind me now, though. Every time I try to boogie with the kids I throw out a hip or a knee. Good thing we've got first aid experts on team ETS too. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284426 - 05/02/17 10:21 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I carried a SAK for a short while. The only thing on it I ever needed was the screwdriver.

Jeanette Isabelle

Wow!

I've carried a SAK for over over 35 years, and it is my most used tool:
screwdriver, both Phillips and flat blade (anything needing a screwdriver---lots of things)
Large Blade (Blister packs, mostly, also cut up a lot of Apples, anything that needs to be cut, etc.)
Small Blade (smaller packages, cut small things)
Can Opener: Lunch, cans
Bottle opener: Lunch, bottles
Awl: punching holes in things
Toothpick & Tweezers: their intended functions..

too many times to remember. . .

It is never quite the best tool for the situation, but it always gets the job done for me. . .

#284427 - 05/02/17 10:45 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
Blister packs

I use my EDC EMT shears for that.

That one time the SAK came in handy as a screwdriver. When I worked in the distribution center, I used the blunt tip of my shears to change box cutter blades. Rest of the time I use a screwdriver when I needed a screwdriver.

Can Opener: Lunch, cans

There's a can opener in the kitchen, the only place I need a can opener.

Tweezers

I keep tweezers in my makeup kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284428 - 05/02/17 10:56 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I've fixed bicycles, garage doors, zippers, tents, cars, a light aircraft, more zippers, radios, servers, routers, firewalls, shoes, even more zippers, an oven, several faucets, drains, shelving, furniture, gates, a bunch of cans, firearms, innumerable beer bottles and even more zippers with a multitool. As useful as I find screwdrivers, bottle openers, can openers, knife blades, awls, scissors and files, I tend to use the pliers the most.

I can build a computer, do simple automotive repair jobs, take measurements and disassemble and reassemble my desk with just the tools in my tool bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284430 - 05/03/17 12:04 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I still want to know what happens if you put a can of sardines in the freezer. but I suspect that you just get sardines that are frozen solid. I don't think that the can would burst. Otherwise, all those old guys in Norway who row boats and chew on old sardines would starve to death.

but who knows?

I prefer that someone else explode frozen sardines over THEIR refrigerator. that's really why I asked :-)

Pete

#284433 - 05/03/17 02:40 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I will go get some sardines tomorrow and let you know in a couple of days.

#284435 - 05/03/17 06:57 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Tweezers are one area the SAK needs supplementing. The SAK tweezers are too light for removing ticks. With their rise and the increase in Lymes Disease in the UK I now also carry needled nose tweezers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...-great-outdoors

Regarding the bug out party (in every meaning of the word).
Being an Irishman I can of course dance. God didn't make the Irish in his own image to come second. But I'm not going to brag about it. In modesty as in all things we are supreme.
I can riverdance, but only the arm movements; that makes me half as good as Michael Flatley.

qjs

#284436 - 05/03/17 07:04 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Tweezers are one area the SAK needs supplementing. The SAK tweezers are too light for removing ticks. With their rise and the increase in Lymes Disease in the UK I now also carry needled nose tweezers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...-great-outdoors

Regarding the bug out party (in every meaning of the word).
Being an Irishman I can of course dance. God didn't make the Irish in his own image to come second. But I'm not going to brag about it. In modesty as in all things we are supreme.
I can riverdance, but only the arm movements; that makes me half as good as Michael Flatley.

qjs

I much prefer the V slot style tick removers. Simple to use and since piece device, so not much to go wrong. Tweezers are much harder to use properly. Plastic tick tweezers are even worse, i feel like i'm just squeezing the tick empty....

#284437 - 05/03/17 07:33 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

> I much prefer the V slot style tick removers. Simple to use and since piece device, so not much to go wrong. Tweezers are much harder to use properly. Plastic tick tweezers are even worse, i feel like i'm just squeezing the tick empty....

Thanks Tjin I'll give them a try, when the stakes are Lymes Disease I don't want anything to go wrong!

On a completely unrelated point: when I Wikied riverdance to look up how to spell Flatley (I know: it was pretty obviously really); I see he competed in the Chicago Golden Gloves.
Guess like the old Irish saying goes 'don't give a sword to a man who can't dance'.
The 1958 cha cha champion of Hong Kong was Bruce Lee.

qjs

#284438 - 05/03/17 09:41 AM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

As to how long intact tins will keep food fresh I found this:

Wikipedia:

>
The steamboat Bertrand, carrying cargo up the Missouri River to Virginia City, Montana Territory, sank on April 1, 1865, after hitting a snag in the river north of Omaha, Nebraska.

Half of its cargo was recovered 100 years later....

In 1974, samples of canned food from the wreck, including brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetable, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although their appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the food was determined to be still safe to eat.

qjs

#284442 - 05/03/17 01:50 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

You might try to pack a dual use item: a needle threader
Around here they are also sold as tick removal tool (at a significantly increased price). In pinch you can also use to thread a needle. They work fine for both uses.

#284443 - 05/03/17 01:56 PM Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? [Re: bws48]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

It is never quite the best tool for the situation, but it always gets the job done for me. . .

It often is the only tool for the situation. That automaticly makes it the best.
I converted to a multitool and a Buck folding hunter or a decent sized fixed blade. I still have a SAK for the superior can opener (I have one in my kitchen primarily for that can opener).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.