Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 57 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#282664 - 10/30/16 11:04 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Hi,
I just step on the lug wrench,
is that not how you're supposed to do it?

I can generally undo the lugs using the original tire iron from the car with my arm muscles. If it's too tight, you might have overtighten the lugs when installing? I always use a torqwrench to tighten the lugs.

#282668 - 10/30/16 03:41 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
I just step on the lug wrench,
is that not how you're supposed to do it?

It's easy to fall and get hurt, especially if you have to jump up and down on it as I have been forced to do.

#282669 - 10/30/16 05:42 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I really prefer a universal type lug wrench such as this one on amazon.com. Nothing special about that particular lug wrench, they're fairly generic, but that design gives you much better control and power over the cheap one size POS lug wrenches that come in your car's kit.

#282670 - 10/30/16 08:07 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I was a looking for a new one so my friend gifted me with a new edc/ghb "purse" yesterday.

It's a unisex shoulder bag, similar to a messenger bag. It's bigger than my old one and seems to be made of more durable material:

Exterior Dimensions: 12" x 11" x 4"
Linear Inches: 27"
Weight: 1 lb
Material: 420 High Density Nylon

Here's a link in case anyone is interested: Derek Alexander North/South Full Flap Carry On - Unisex

I moved all my EDC purse gear into it, and with the new carrying capacity, I winterized. I added a 16 oz Kleen Kanteen, a toque, a pair of gloves, a pair of merino wool socks and a couple more chemical hand warmers. I also added a couple packs of instant oatmeal and an mre spoon/condiment pack, topped up the OTC meds and bandaids, switched out batteries, and generally checked the condition of all the contents.

Everything fits with room to spare, and it's light enough that there's no risk of leaving it behind because it's too heavy or bulky.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282671 - 10/30/16 09:19 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
But, will it hold a lug wrench?

#282672 - 10/30/16 09:45 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only the collapsible one that came with my car. wink

#282674 - 10/30/16 11:52 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Russ
I really prefer a universal type lug wrench such as this one on amazon.com. Nothing special about that particular lug wrench, they're fairly generic, but that design gives you much better control and power over the cheap one size POS lug wrenches that come in your car's kit.

If anyone is looking to purchase a 4 way lug wrench, make sure to get a 20" model as those little 14' models do not give a person a lot of leverage. Also depending on vehicle fenders (flare) and rims, the 14" wrench will put your hands and body too close to the vehicle body and if that wrench slips off the nut when you are prying to loosen it, your hands and knuckles can take a nasty ride into some hard steel. Not to mention what could also happen to your face and head being that close to the vehicle when the wrench slips.

Also, these wrenches are made separately in SAE and Metric sizes. However there are also a lot of hybrid wrenches on the market that are both SAE and metric combined which take a comprise fit on the different SAE and metric lug nut sizes. It is best to avoid those hybrid wrenches and determine which lug nuts your vehicle requires and purchase either the SAE or metric only.

John Lubbock

#282681 - 10/31/16 05:11 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Also, these wrenches are made separately in SAE and Metric sizes. However there are also a lot of hybrid wrenches on the market that are both SAE and metric combined which take a comprise fit on the different SAE and metric lug nut sizes. It is best to avoid those hybrid wrenches and determine which lug nuts your vehicle requires and purchase either the SAE or metric only.

I never even thought of that. Thanks so much, Teslinhiker!

#282683 - 10/31/16 06:28 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

6. Began writing up a presentation for my office based on, what else, "How to prepare for getting stranded in the winter." smile Now I have to trim it down and make the PP slides.

I find that handouts are valuable for the class - what to do and why, what to pack, what to avoid, etc...

#282684 - 11/01/16 12:10 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Try a ~36"/1m long 1/2" drive cheap breaker bar w/ deep impact socket. The impact rating on the socket is important. I managed to split a normal deep socket at the corner with the bar using it on lug nuts put on with an impact wrench.

I always keep a little WD-40 in the kit as well. And a little trick I learned as a kid opening Mom's pickle jars -- by using sharp blows to vibrate the lug nut free. Why use excessive force when a little know-how and technique work better?

But that's not where I often have a problem, its the seal at the hub itself. In the past I have resorted to mule kicking the rim to release the seal. smile These little tricks come from experience, you won't find any of these tips in the Owners Manual.

Page 11 of 57 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.