Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284067 - 03/16/17 07:41 PM Want to wash up??
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I look at quite a few YouTube videographers. A couple of them live and travel in vans. Their method of showering is to get a new 2 gal sprayer bottle (Yard maintenance type), remove the wand/nozzle, splice a kitchen sink spray hose and nozzle to the bottle hose. Some paint the 2gal jug flat black leaving a 1" unpainted vertical line in 1 area so that the sun will heat the bottled water & the unpainted stripe allows one to see how much water is in the jug.

Besides being an emergency shower, this would be very useful on any kind of outing for washing hands, dishes, pots, pans, etc.

Just put van camping shower in YouTube's search engine. You'll have to sort through the videos that come up but there's at least 2 that cover the bug sprayer shower system.

#284068 - 03/16/17 09:29 PM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I could have used something like that at home during The Great Plumbing Crisis of 2015.

#284069 - 03/17/17 02:02 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a couple of options for heating water during long term power outages... the black painted garden sprayer for pressurized supply... 125' of 7/8" garden hose holds about 2 1/2 gal.... a 2mil contractor bag laid flat, with the mouth sitting on and closed with a couple of 2x4s... 2 1/2 gal fills at a depth of about 1"... both the bag and hose got to better than 130F in one hour of July bright Sun light... the bag was dangerous to handle at that temp, and water needs to be removed with a dipper... the sprayer about 100F in the same time... ambient water temp about 75F

Edited by LesSnyder (03/17/17 02:35 PM)

#284070 - 03/17/17 02:07 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I use commercially available solar showers,typically of capacity varying from 2 1/2 to 5 gallons. You simply lay them out in full sunlight or fill with heated water, hang them, and shower up. I have used these for weeks at a time in field situations with satisfactory results.

#284073 - 03/18/17 07:41 PM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Good ideas.

I havent tried this ... but what if you dropped some hot rocks into the 'temporary shower' container. Heat a few small river stones in a small campfire. Drop the rocks into the water with some tongs.

You might need to protect the plastic from melting. but this seems do-able.

Pete

#284074 - 03/18/17 07:51 PM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I haven't tried boiling with hot rocks either, but the word is that it is a feasible way to boil water. One caution - be sure that the rocks you choose will not shatter, from either the heating or immersion. Rocks right out of a stream are prone to exploding, I understand.

#284076 - 03/20/17 02:18 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: hikermor]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I tried this several years ago using a nalgene bottle when we were discussing water containers that you could boil water in for purification. It worked just fine, but it would take several rocks to boil a couple gallons of water, or at least some good sized ones. Also remember that the rocks will displace a similar volume of water, so don't overfill your container with what will be very hot water.

#284077 - 03/21/17 03:06 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I have a Zodi shower system works great.
customer nothing more.

L

Edited by leemann (03/21/17 03:07 AM)
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#284079 - 03/22/17 01:49 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: wildman800]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I have a YouTube of my wash up method on wilderness canoe trips.
you need the liquid soap,Campsuds.a few drops will do the job.
boil water in a small pot and add to cold water in a bigger one to get the right temp.stand on your dirty clothes and wash your hair with the soap and rinse a bit using the water to wash more.
rinse with the rest.the clothes can be rinsed out in you water source.the soap can be used in any water that's what makes this work so well.if your in a real survival situation a cold bath is all you can expect as you don't want to waste time and effort on the real thing.i use a small cook pot and Platypus bags.

#284080 - 03/22/17 08:39 AM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
I have a YouTube of my wash up method on wilderness canoe trips.
you need the liquid soap,Campsuds.a few drops will do the job.
boil water in a small pot and add to cold water in a bigger one to get the right temp.stand on your dirty clothes and wash your hair with the soap and rinse a bit using the water to wash more.
rinse with the rest.the clothes can be rinsed out in you water source.the soap can be used in any water that's what makes this work so well.if your in a real survival situation a cold bath is all you can expect as you don't want to waste time and effort on the real thing.i use a small cook pot and Platypus bags.

Hi,
Release soapy water in the rivers/lakes?
You're not supposed to do that, not even if its "biodegradable" soap, even campsuds website says so, even says so on the label

In USA its actually illegal in places like BWCAW (and probably more places)
  • The following are enforceable Forest Service regulations (maximum penalty of $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail).
  • No soaps even biodegradable in any streams, river or water source.
  • Do NOT use soap, not even biodegradable soap, in any stream, river, lake or hot springs.
  • USE OR DISPOSAL of soap, detergent or other pollutants in the river is prohibited.
  • Bathe and wash dishes at least 150-200 feet from lakes and streams. Remember that ALL soaps, including biodegradable soaps, pollute water.
  • All soaps pollute water including soaps labeled "biodegradable."

#284083 - 03/22/17 01:58 PM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Our very own Canoedogs shows us how it's done!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284088 - 03/23/17 09:41 PM Re: Want to wash up?? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
opps..I should of said "source water" meaning where it came from and not water source.i don't like suds in my coffee.
the post was more about keeping it simple and not putting
the time and energy into a gizmo when a bucket of hot water
will work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.