Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#284031 - 03/07/17 03:35 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-san-andreas-grapevine-20170307-story.html

This interesting story appeared this morning. There will be a major shakeup, something between a 7.5 and a 7.9, butprecisely when is anybody's guess. I did not check the Lost and Found section for any data.

#285135 - 07/25/17 03:13 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
For a while, Mom has considered getting a small SUV. Yesterday she brought up using it for bugging out. That got me to thinking about what and what not to bring when bugging out either temporarily or permanently. The following list is what I'm considering and is in no particular order. Let me know if there is something I should add or drop.

• Identification and important papers: Drivers' license, Social Security Card, passport, birth certificate and medical records.
  • Medication: Prescription and OTC
  • Glasses and case
  • Cell phone and cord for charging it
  • Cash
  • Bottled water
  • Nutritional supplements and anything that is of a nutritional benefit
  • Extra lip balm
  • Kleenex
  • Electric toothbrush, replacement brush heads and toothpaste
  • Other toiletries including deodorant and shaving products
  • Makeup kit [it's small and it includes nail care items]
  • Tool bag [if that's too much, I'll bring the more valuable tools]
  • Mac Mini, keyboard, mouse, backup drive and video cable [I'm leaving the monitor behind because I can hook up my computer to any modern TV. If that's too much, I'll only bring the backup.]
  • First aid kits and refill items
  • D-Cell LED MAG LITES
  • EMT shears
  • Books: Complete Jewish Bible, Wilderness and Travel Medicine and The Chronological Gospels
  • Hand wipes
  • Towels
  • Clothes and shoes
  • If it is a permanent bugout, small sentimental items like my diploma

Jeanette Isabelle

#285136 - 07/25/17 04:21 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI.. if you plan on staying in Florida, would suggest something like an aluminum folding chaise lounge to sleep on in case you can not find lodging... mosquito netting...7 day cooler with frozen water jugs and 3 days minimum perishable cold cuts, etc, and 3 days worth of chunky soups/stews that can be heated in the can... small Asian style butane stove with extra gas canisters...extra cooler to carry ice... 12v cigarette charger for your electronics...small digital TV... 20 liter Scepter style water jug for you and one for your Mom... blue tarp and some bungee cords to convert your SUV to a makeshift camper... have a definite destination to evacuate to... regards

#285143 - 07/26/17 12:46 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: LesSnyder]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Les: I'm interested in your idea for a small ( Asian?) butane stove & extra cartridges. We live in an all electric high-rise, without an open terrace. Our present back-up stove is an old two burner Coleman Fuel / unleaded gas, hand pump camping stove. The CO danger, even near an open window, has always concerned me. Butane is, in my understanding, cleaner burning than liquid fuel. So which model do you recommend? What kind of burn time does S cartridge give you? Add all the usual questions?

Edited by acropolis5 (07/26/17 12:47 AM)

#285145 - 07/26/17 02:17 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: acropolis5]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
acropolis... sorry, I don't have an answer for you... from my reading on the subject, they are well regarded for ease of use, I thought it would be a better option for JI as they are single burner, and relatively small and compact...., I use a Coleman propane two burner camp stove with an unleaded gasoline/Coleman fuel single burner back up...most of my cooking for the 9 day outage in 2004 was on a small tail gate gas grill to ease cleanup without hot water available... all of my hurricane cooking is done outside....with the inside air temps in the high 90s until midnight, I spent most of the afternoon and evenings in my garage with the door open

I went to propane in the 90s for hurricane cooking, with a propane adapter for a traditional Coleman fuel camp stove... but gave it to a relative that needed to cook fish for a large outing...

I store 3 bulk propane bottles and have a 1# bottle adapter as will as a hose connector... but would recommend the old Coleman fuel stove with the propane adapter for someone looking for a multi fuel cooking option

Edited by LesSnyder (07/26/17 02:19 AM)

#285146 - 07/26/17 02:27 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: LesSnyder]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Les: Thanx for the quick reply. It is appreciated. I may do some research. I'll let you know what I find out. Anyone else have any relevant info?

#285147 - 07/26/17 03:58 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Being a hiker and backpacker, I would consider the many stoves produced for that purpose, like the MSR Pocket Rocket 2, weighing a mere 3 oz, and utilizing isobutane canisters of varying sizes readily available in outdoor stores. There are many other choices available, like Trangia alcohol stoves and their homemade equivalents. For top of the line versatility, consider the MSR Whisperlite Universal backpacking stove , a bit more costly., but burns many different fuels.

These are all quite light, and readily portable, unlike the Coleman and its ilk (of which I have two -- quite useful when weight is not a concern).

CO is a concern with any open flame. Use outdoors or with really good ventilation.

#285167 - 07/27/17 06:57 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

reply moved to different thread.

Edited by Pete (07/27/17 07:12 PM)

#285169 - 07/27/17 07:14 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jeanette

A couple of helpful suggestions, after having the experience of taking groups of people overseas for more than 15 years.

1. It is quite easy to forget your passport. Not only because you accidentally left it at home. But also because it's super-easy to misplace the passport when you are going through airline security.

Here are the things I do, to make sure this disaster does not happen ...

1. When leaving home, about to get into the taxi for the airport, I check that I have 3 things in my carry-on bag ... passport, wallet and airline tickets. These things go in my bag, i never put them in my pockets.

2. After going through airline security, waiting at the departure gate, i check all 3 things again. This check is very important.

3. When I get off the plane, as soon as i set foot on the arrival pkatform, i do the same check again. That way, if the passport is accidentally left on the plane, a stewardess can get it for you.

4. After I collect my luggage, before i get in the taxi for the hotel, i do the same check again.

So that's 4 independent checks for your most important things, at different stages of the journey.

Finally, what do you do ... if your passport is lost or stolen?

MAKE SURE you make a photocopy of the important pages of your passport. clear and legible. put that in your carry-on. If an emergency happens, go to the US Consulate. if you give them the photocopy, along with new photos of you, they can replace the passport in 24-48 hours. I do know someone who went thru this nightmare. It was scary for them, but stay calm. It will work out.

Pete

Edited by Pete (07/27/17 07:14 PM)

#285173 - 07/27/17 08:04 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
If you're a US Citizen consider obtaining a Passport Card to accompany the traditional Passport Book. A Passport Card is only valid for sea and ground travel and only close to home (Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, I believe) but having it in your wallet may make things a heck of a lot easier if you need to go to a US Embassy or Consulate without your Passport Book.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.