Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#283942 - 03/01/17 05:15 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Have a trigger event or date. When this happens, or that deadline is passed, you go from condition orange to red and bug out.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283943 - 03/01/17 05:44 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Mark_R]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I thought about that. Unless there is a sign from Heaven a good indicator would be the supply chain being down for more than a month and my reserve of prescription medication is being depleted.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283944 - 03/01/17 06:23 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: bws48]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: bws48
...but I would add money (as much as possible

I would be a bit careful with that. Some countries (e. g. in the EU) have money laundry laws and limits on the amount of money people can bring with them. The same applies for boullion.
I would investigate that in advance and adhere to the laws.

#283945 - 03/01/17 06:45 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: M_a_x]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Good point---the USA has a limit ($10,000) on how much you can carry out. If you take more than that, there are documents you must file. When I visit in Europe there is a $10,000 limit on what you can bring in without a similar paperwork drill.

This is why I suggested having a bank account overseas, so you can wire money into it and have it there when you arrive; also, safer than carrying. I think most countries in Europe will allow non-citizens with a valid passport to open bank accounts, and these accounts can be denominated in dollars, but I am not familiar with the rules in every country. At one time, Swiss Banks were allowing accounts to be opened and funded by mail from the USA, (you did not need to be there personally) but I don't know if this is still possible.

But in a bug out situation, I would do the paperwork and try to take the cash if nothing else were available. Otherwise, I would never get access to the funds at all.

#283946 - 03/01/17 07:49 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: bws48]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bws48
Good point---the USA has a limit ($10,000) on how much you can carry out. If you take more than that, there are documents you must file. When I visit in Europe there is a $10,000 limit on what you can bring in without a similar paperwork drill.

This is why I suggested having a bank account overseas, so you can wire money into it and have it there when you arrive; also, safer than carrying. I think most countries in Europe will allow non-citizens with a valid passport to open bank accounts, and these accounts can be denominated in dollars, but I am not familiar with the rules in every country. At one time, Swiss Banks were allowing accounts to be opened and funded by mail from the USA, (you did not need to be there personally) but I don't know if this is still possible.

But in a bug out situation, I would do the paperwork and try to take the cash if nothing else were available. Otherwise, I would never get access to the funds at all.

I asked the same question about having a reserve currency in another forum. The solutions came down to two, completely legal, preparatory options .

First: Have an account in an international bank based in a foreign country. It's a little tricky to do as most of the international banks seem to be based in China (out of the frying pan and into the fire). But, having funds independent of where you're fleeing from, and can be accessed from where you're fleeing to, can be a safeguard in case things go seriously pear shaped.

Second: Have an internet based foreign currency account. Still subject to local banking laws, so no defense if the PTB decide to persecute this or that group. But, has the ability to store money in very stable currencies (Norwegian Krones, Swiss Francs, Canadian Dollars), and then wire transfer it to wherever you need. Minimum opening deposit requirement of $5,000 or $10,000 are common.

Lastly, If you're getting, while the getting is good. That is, coming in as an immigrant instead of a refugee, you may just be able to transfer your funds over as a routine matter.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283947 - 03/01/17 08:24 PM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
First: Have an account in an international bank based in a foreign country. It's a little tricky to do as most of the international banks seem to be based in China (out of the frying pan and into the fire).

I don't know international banking at all. What are the problems with banks based in China? Also, what about those famous Swiss banks that we hear about in the movies? That's where the James Bond villains keep their money ("in a numbered account"), right?

#283949 - 03/02/17 12:05 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley
First: Have an account in an international bank based in a foreign country. It's a little tricky to do as most of the international banks seem to be based in China (out of the frying pan and into the fire).

I don't know international banking at all. What are the problems with banks based in China? Also, what about those famous Swiss banks that we hear about in the movies? That's where the James Bond villains keep their money ("in a numbered account"), right?

China's government tends to be very heavy handed. I'd balk about putting my money where it's subject to their whims.

The Swiss banks are the ones with the "Numbered accounts". Just keep in mind that a 1.3B dollar fine early last year by the US Justice department is making them skittish to take on any US clients.

#283993 - 03/05/17 12:34 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I would not count on zipping off to a different country unless you hold citizenship there. In a genuine widespread crisis, borders will thicken rapidly.

#283994 - 03/05/17 12:40 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Based on the State Department / Family Liaison Office / Post evacuation resources / go bag contents.
https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c1991.htm

The documentation listed here is useful and necessary, especially in the event you can't go home (soon or ever).

One troubling thought, though: it is also the perfect identity theft kit, a treasure trove for crooks, all neatly stowed in one portable package. Security measures?

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/05/17 12:42 AM)

#283995 - 03/05/17 12:49 AM Re: Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Depending on what the signs are, some may recognize them as such. Among those, some may know where to go.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.