Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 27 of 57 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#285520 - 08/20/17 12:54 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Inline with stocking up in an organized manner, I ordered a case of facial tissue from Sam's Club.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/windsoft-facial-tissue-30-boxes-100-ct-each/prod450350.ip?xid=plp2120107-groc:product:1:18

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Sam's Club aside from being a long-time customer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285526 - 08/20/17 10:58 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I took my daughter fishing today, and received a good reminder about why I, and especially we, can't rely on this method of procuring food. Ever. LOL!!

Yesterday, though, I practiced flint & steel and campfire cooking in the rain, after making some repairs at our BOL. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#285527 - 08/20/17 11:02 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I took my daughter fishing today, and received a good reminder about why I, and especially we, can't rely on this method of procuring food. Ever. LOL!!

What then will you do for food?

Jeanette Isabelle

#285528 - 08/21/17 01:04 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If we are talking survival, the sky's the limit. You could use nets, fish traps, poison(rotenone kills fish,but not those eating them), hand grenades, or even, a hand crank telephone with wires in the water, or similar electrical source. Fish and Game rules do not apply.

But there are a lot of plants and immobile critters that are easy pickin's. Around here, abalone are immobile and very delicious. Does Alberta support abalone?

Edited by hikermor (08/21/17 01:19 AM)

#285529 - 08/21/17 01:12 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

All joking aside, I never caught a fish. I don't know what to fish for or what to do with it if I did.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285530 - 08/21/17 01:23 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Get good at collecting plant foods - pinon nuts, wild strawberries (they are absolutely delicious), or others, depending upon your location. This is best done before it is absolutely necessary....

#285531 - 08/21/17 01:31 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

There were wild berries near where Grandma lived, blackberries I think. As children, my sisters and I would pull the berries off the plant and eat them there.

Grandma had a small carrot garden. When the carrots were ready, we would pull them out of the ground, wash and eat them. Talk about fresh veggies. Those were some great times.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285532 - 08/21/17 01:40 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Here's a little light reading... Edible weeds in Florida

#285533 - 08/21/17 04:07 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
don't overlook a small dip net with long handle...and working the edge of a mangrove swamp area for small fish and blue crab... a snatch hook is my preferred method of obtaining mullet (but no longer legal in Fla)... large weighted treble hook is cast across a pool of schooling fish and ripped through the school, foul hooking dinner... also, if you have a craft, a cast net is hard to beat

fish are pretty easy to clean... scale fish if desired,the knife spine works held perpendicular, but a dedicated toothed blade works best.... knife behind pectoral fin, make cut forward, repeat other side, twist head to remove and typically entrals follow...slit open belly, and open cavity... rinse and smoke over low heat for about 3 hours... use head and entrals for blue crab bait...to fry, fillet by cutting flat down the dorsal fin following the backbone to remove fillets...skin may be removed if you wish, by using similar cut...pan fry in coating of a mix of seasoned flour and corn meal ...larger round fish like mackerel and king mackerel, cut into steaks down the backbone

#285534 - 08/21/17 04:39 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
In general terms just about any fish you find in the CONUS could be cleaned roughly the same way. Obviously use your own judgement- there are some waters where it's likely not safe to eat anything you catch and there might some poisonous fish I'm unaware. But if you head and gut almost any fish you could conceivably roast or poach it in an emergency situation. Anatomically most fish have a spine and similar internal organs. Some may have fins in different locations, rows of floating bones, etc. But in general terms you can cut into the fish right behind the gills down to the spine, then turn and cut one side of the fish off of the spine. Flip and do the other side. Grasp the fish towards the tail end and run the blade of your knife along the skin to remove the skin from the flesh. The rib cage will usually be visible and can be cut out. This will take the majority of bigger bones out of most fish. This is pretty common for our freshwater fish and many ocean fish but you should do some research on the fish in your area.

Most freshwater fish are edible, although they may not be very palatable.

Page 27 of 57 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.