Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 19 of 57 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#283932 - 03/01/17 01:10 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You would bug in, during a tsunami? What about moving to higher ground? For most, that would constitute a "mini bug out"...

#283937 - 03/01/17 01:44 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is where I am in relationship to the coast:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ocala,...6!4d-82.1400923

I am expecting damage this far in, I just don't know how much. Besides, when a tsunami is coming, how much warning will we have? How much warning will we have if it comes in the middle of the night?

Jeanette Isabelle

#283938 - 03/01/17 02:02 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You would bug in, during a tsunami? What about moving to higher ground? For most, that would constitute a "mini bug out"...

I love a good disaster movie, and we had a little tsunami movie marathon this weekend. Works of fiction can often get my wheels turning about real world preparation.

The first was a movie called "The Wave", which is a 2015 Norwegian catastrophe drama about a tsunami. It dramatizes the mad dash up the hill. It's not the best movie I've seen, but it made me think about packing up and getting out quickly.

Followed that up with "The Impossible" for the second time, which scared me just as badly as it did the first time. It's about the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Nope. Nope. Nope. Not something I want anything to do with.

I prefer living somewhere that has minimal environmental threats, but I was in a tsunami risk zone, that would definitely be on my list of reasons to bug-out.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283948 - 03/01/17 08:43 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

The first was a movie called "The Wave" . . .

+1, Available on Netflix last I checked.

#283950 - 03/02/17 02:29 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Depending upon the distance between you and the source of the disturbance which is triggering the waves, you might have only minutes, but often you will have several hours.

Santa Barbara,CA experienced a horrific earthquake/tsunami in 1812. The epicenter was very close (middle of the Santa Barbara channel) and the tsunami which closely followed was disastrous. of course there was no technology available to give warning.

Other earthquake events in the pacific Basic (such as Fukoshima) will provide several hours advance notice and one will have several hours to seek higher ground. in my community there are signs designating areas subject to inundation and the county hazards map, as well as local signage, designates recommended escape routes. fortunately, there is a lot of relief in my nck of the woods. My house is about one mile from the beach, but 200 1/2 feet above sea level,so we are not greatly concerned about waves.

To deal with a locally generated tsunami, the rule is - if you feel an earthquake, seek high ground, rather than going to the beach, until information is available about the nature of the event. Not all EQs will necessarily generate a tsunami,but this cannot often be determined immediately.

#283955 - 03/02/17 08:02 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

We are, give or take, seventy miles from the Atlantic. According to the nearest measurement taken, we are 98' above sea level. Depending on the height of the tsunami as it hits the East coast, I'm somewhere between "we can bug in" and "Huston, we have a problem."

Jeanette Isabelle

#283956 - 03/02/17 08:14 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
At 98' MSL (mean sea level) and 70 miles from the coast, for what tsunami are you planning? Meteor impact or some other extinction level event...

Rather than preparing to bug-out from a tsunami, you might consider where to park the refugees from lower elevations.

#283957 - 03/02/17 09:00 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
At 98' MSL (mean sea level) and 70 miles from the coast, for what tsunami are you planning? Meteor impact or some other extinction level event...

Well, yes. Here is what I said:

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
To some extent you can run what-if scenarios and prepare for those situations. Much of what we discuss here are just that in the sense of: "what if" that happened to me?

Be the situation a hurricane on its way, a tornado, wildfire or earthquake, the needs afterward are very similar in the way of shelter-water-food. The preps for one often suffice as preps for the others, basics are basics. Get the basic shelter-water-food for a hurricane and then expand for your specific what-if's.

Take the experiences of others here and use them, don't think of them in the abstract, think of whether those experiences apply to you.

I consider scenarios such as a tsunami, damaged infrastructure stopping products from getting to the stores, an EMP attack or some other attack on the power grid, war, the collapse of the economy and needing to get out of Dodge with nothing but what we can carry. Other than organizing and inventorying the pantry, I don't know how to prepare for those scenarios. For that reason I look at my pasts experiences for guidance and prep for those.

When I said "tsunami" I meant one caused by a meteor. For most situations mentioned, I need to bug in. How do I prepare for when we need to bug out?

Jeanette Isabelle

#283958 - 03/02/17 09:26 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't have any plans in place to cover a meteor impact strike. I'm not bugging out prior unless I have really reliable information that indicates where the impact will be and that bugging out will actually accomplish anything positive.

Sometimes with running you just die tired.

#283959 - 03/02/17 10:20 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I don't have any plans in place to cover a meteor impact strike. I'm not bugging out prior unless I have really reliable information that indicates where the impact will be and that bugging out will actually accomplish anything positive.

That's it. I don't know how the meteor will impact Ocala, Florida. I hope it's safe to bug in; there's always the possibility of INCH.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 19 of 57 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.