Page 47 of 57 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#300182 - 10/11/21 03:00 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Eugene]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Sad thing is you can buy a whole new box for less than the price of the replacement battery. But hopefully since this one has lasted so long I figure it much be made decent.

The jump packs I own are essentially a case, cables and some accessories wrapped around an AGM golf cart battery. The two times I’ve done the replacement the battery was significantly less expensive — about $30 vs about $70 the jump pack cost originally. Unfortunately my favorite jump pack (The “Powerstation PSX” and later models, sold by Costco, no affiliation) doesn’t seem to be manufactured any more, so it’s worth it to me to buy a new battery every few years to keep the two I have operational. When charged after every use and also once a month I get about five years of service out of them.

I’ve seen a number of jump packs that are pocket sized or nearly so, based on Lithium Ion battery technology, but I don’t own one. I do not believe that they have enough cold cranking amps for reliable winter service.

#300183 - 10/11/21 03:57 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Sad thing is you can buy a whole new box for less than the price of the replacement battery. But hopefully since this one has lasted so long I figure it much be made decent.

The jump packs I own are essentially a case, cables and some accessories wrapped around an AGM golf cart battery. The two times I’ve done the replacement the battery was significantly less expensive — about $30 vs about $70 the jump pack cost originally. Unfortunately my favorite jump pack (The “Powerstation PSX” and later models, sold by Costco, no affiliation) doesn’t seem to be manufactured any more, so it’s worth it to me to buy a new battery every few years to keep the two I have operational. When charged after every use and also once a month I get about five years of service out of them.

I’ve seen a number of jump packs that are pocket sized or nearly so, based on Lithium Ion battery technology, but I don’t own one. I do not believe that they have enough cold cranking amps for reliable winter service.

Mine has a small SLA that was about $70 to buy local from batteries+.
The small lithium ion ones aren't intended to be able to crank a vehicle, rather they are to be plugged in for ~15 minutes or so to bring a low battery up to a level where it can then crank.

My problem is I have an intermittent drain somewhere. Sometimes I can park for several days and nothing is wrong but sometimes my battery gets too low after just a couple days that it can't crank. One of the many computers doesn't seem to be shutting down all the time but its intermittent enough to make troubleshooting a pain. so if I drive anywhere I end up carrying that jumpstart box to be safe.

Edited by Eugene (10/11/21 03:59 PM)

#300187 - 10/12/21 05:43 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Car preparation for winter:
- check tire pressure
- check fluids
- put snow shovel into the trunk

general preparation:
- test run cat can stove outdoors in the rain
- make a vegan variety of champurrado with said stove (had some cocnut milk approaching it´s best before)

conclusions:
stove runs, champurrado was tasty, collapsible titanium spoon worked fine a kitchen tool, even with a broad brimmed hat you need to pay attention to not not drip the rain runoff into your champurrado

#300192 - 10/14/21 08:35 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

What I did to prep ? Injured myself. LOL

No, seriously. A few weeks back, I lifted something heavy and heard something in my left shoulder. Maybe an tendon or muscle was hurt. Initially thought to go to clinic, but my daughter asked me a few questions and gave suggestions of rubbing it with some cream

The idea occurred to me to endure the pain and continue my restless lifestyle. Seeing a few YouTube videos about shoulder pain, I continued to move. Two days ago, I was moving something heavy and relatively large in size, and again heard that ugly sound in my right arm. A tendon or muscle in my right arm has been injured. Pain was pretty bad. However, I applied ointment and continued doing stuff , a bit slowly.

It seems to be beneficial to do stuff while you are hurt. This hardens you and make you more ready to deal with working after SHTF in less-than-ideal conditions.

And, as some videos suggested, it seems that moving the injured muscles speeds healing

#300203 - 10/15/21 01:39 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I filled two propane tanks, now have 5 total.

#300205 - 10/15/21 08:03 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I didn't do this today, but a few years back. It is something that is easily overlooked, but it pays good dividends.

A few years back I retired from work after 35+ years. Same year my daughter graduated from medical school. We are both paper junkies and bookworms. So we both have accumulated big piles of papers. So instead of throwing them, I collected them all in A4 paper boxes. The backs of these papers are being used for my planning , grandkid home-schooling, and countless other uses ( like using them as a mat when gluing something ) ...

In an SHTF situation, they can serve additional uses like tinder for fire starting ..etc.

#300208 - 10/15/21 01:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I sat down one weekend a few years ago and scanned all my old school papers so I don't have the huge pile any more plus I have backups now.

#301254 - 09/24/22 01:14 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
While not in one day (today was more or less topping things off), I stocked up the following:

(3) Gold Bond, 10 oz
(4) Vaseline, 13 oz
(4) Benadryl, 8 oz
(12) Chewable Aspirin, 36 count
(8) Alchohol Swabs, 200 count
(3) Gas Relief (Simethicone), 48 count
(4) Generic Tylenol, 8 oz
(1) Generic Imodium A-D, 8 oz
(1) Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, 12 oz
(4) Pepto Bismol, 16 oz
(4) Cough Syrup, 8 oz
(1) Caladryl, 6 oz
(4) Povidone-Iodine, 8 oz
(4) Biofreeze, large patches, 5 count
(1) DayQujil, 12 oz
(1) NyQuil, 12 oz
(1) Lice Kit
(1) Vicks VaporRub, 1.76 oz
(1) Visine, 0.5 oz
(3) Aim, 5.5 oz
(1) Hand Sanitizer, 32 oz

As for what to add to my list: sunscreen and more hand sanitizer. It seems like I can't have too much hand sanitizer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301404 - 01/23/23 08:11 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yesterday I did more organizing and ordered two cases of facial tissue.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-...d=plp_product_4

Today I bought three bottles of hand sanitizer.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Sam's Club.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301423 - 01/28/23 06:24 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Well, not because I was smart but because I was faced with some awkward situations, the last of which, car not starting. My son brought his 4x4 and yanked it (manual shift) and it started. While playing around connecting the rope, I discovered that the tool kit was missing a few necessary tools.

I am now gathering a few tools that would help in BAD situations, not limited to fixing the car, but can be used all around the car in various situations, I am adding the following for the time being

# slip joint (or water pump) pliers,
# Wheel Lug Nut Socket Wrench (can be used as pry bar)
# Metal Battery Terminal Cleaner with Brush

Have been thinking of what to add more. The kit already has a fixed knife, zipties, sand paper, and many extras, but still wasn't helpful in the situation.

Page 47 of 57 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.