Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#283829 - 02/20/17 08:48 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
My friend rode the Bike-Iditerod with temps over the several days at -20 F.
She wore pack boots with super gaiters. Wind shell mittens over other gloves.

They all still stopped riding about every 30 minutes and pushed their bikes to warm up their hands, face and feet.

i would try hand warmers inside mittens and over-boots.

And use cross country ski pants and jackets which are windproof on the front and stretch breathable on the back. Craft makes some nice ones.

Local cross country ski racers went to alaska to race. They said they wore 3 hats-
two on their head and one in their pants. The boys anyway.

Edited by clearwater (02/20/17 08:52 PM)

#283833 - 02/21/17 01:16 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
It could also be Raynaud's Disease:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/basics/definition/con-20022916

I think I have a mild case as my hands and feet are always cold even if my core is sweating. A friend has it worse. One thing for the hands is to insulate the wrists. When I use a liner layer that has thumbholes, my wrists stay warm and therefore my hands stay warmer. Conversely, if my core starts to sweat, opening up my wrists will remove a fair amount of heat. The cold wrist also trigers vasoconstriction which makes the problem worse. Feet more or less work the same way.

Regards,
Bill

#283834 - 02/21/17 03:54 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: williamlatham]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have Reynaud's Disease or Syndrome. I've found that wearing fingerless wool gloves helps a lot! The USGI gloves keep the wrists and palms warm which keeps warm blood flowing to the fingers. Fingerless gloves are good down to 60deg F. I need full fingered (USGI) wool gloves down to 50deg F, wool gloves and leather shells down to freezing temp. I'm now the owner of sheep's wool lined leather gloves (as a external shell) to go along with the wool gloves and (USGI) arctic mittens for below freezing temps.

I have not had a problem with my feet but the temps don't get to freezing or below in South Louisiana very often or for very long. I do keep a pair of USGI Arctic duck cloth green boots with wool liners (booties) for those times of low temps. Those boots may be ugly, in some folk's opinion's, but they are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn.

#283871 - 02/26/17 03:31 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the replies, although I'm still a bit mystified. I don't think my hands or feet have ever gotten uncomfortably cold while I was doing strenuous exercise, unless they were wet. I've never biked in the winter, so maybe that's different somehow.

Would adding more core layer insulation help? My friend tells me he dresses pretty lightly overall, I think because he doesn't want to sweat too much. If he's going to sweat anyway, no matter how lightly dressed he is, does it matter if another layer makes him even warmer?

David

#283876 - 02/26/17 07:07 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: bigmbogo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just one thing to add: make sure the gloves are windproof. Hands are exposed, stationary, and exposed to the elements and you are generating a lot of breeze. Merely thick insulation is not as important as wind proofing.

#284049 - 03/12/17 08:50 PM Re: Core temp, cold extremities, sweating [Re: wildman800]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I've found that wearing fingerless wool gloves helps a lot!

So do I. My cold weather mittens are a pair of thick fingerless wool gloves with a windproof layer on top. (Some cotton canvas or synthetic thing, semi-water repellant). I use these when temps drop a few degrees below freezing or colder.

These kind of mittens are standard for equipment for cold weather skiing. Comes in all price ranges.

Operating brakes and gears aren't exactly "fingerspitsgefühl", but good enough.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.