The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#283796 - 02/17/17 07:58 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Don't know. None of their products has it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283800 - 02/18/17 01:00 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
On the mini-Maglite spec sheet there's a field for "Power Management" and the answer is "No". What does "Power Management" mean? Does that encompass voltage regulation? If a battery starts at a Lithium primary 1.8 volts all may be okay, just running hot; at a NiMH 1.2 volts you may be close to where the light doesn't have enough volts to operate. Don't know... what does "Power Management" entail.

In some other flashlights there's a buck/boost circuit that can handle cells that have a higher or lower voltage than ideal.

#283802 - 02/18/17 03:56 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If there is a buck/boost circuit Maglite should probably answer "Yes" to the "Power Management" question. So a question that comes to mind with the mini-Maglite is since it has two modes - low & high - how is that done without power management circuitry? I like Maglites but one issue I have is that the company evolved their lights from direct drive Krypton incandescent into LED flashlights and its hard to tell what if anything changed besides the bulb.

I replaced the LED bulbs in my 1989 vintage D-cell Maglites with TerraLUX MiniStar bulbs. There are 140 lumen bulbs in both 2-3 & 4-6 C/D-cell versions as well as the 50 lumen MiniStar I have in my 2-D Maglite. These bulbs work great imo and the Maglite still focuses like it did with a Krypton bulb.

As to the question of voltage regulation: the MiniStar bulbs are "Electronically regulated for constant light output". So unlike the direct drive Krypton incandescent bulb it replaced, the Terralux bulbs come with their own (voltage?) regulation circuitry inside.

As I recall I got my Terralux bulbs from Batteryjunction.com, but they're also available on Amazon.

Edit: Need to add that if you do a search for "Maglite LED conversion" on Amazon you'll find similar replacement bulbs from Nite Ize, ABN, HQRP et al as well as Terralux. I've used the Terralux bulbs, can't comment on the others.

Edited by Russ (02/18/17 05:46 PM)

#283803 - 02/18/17 05:43 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Some use pulse-width modulation (PWM) to produce multiple output modes -- basically at lower output the LED is turned on and off very rapidly. Some people find that they can see the flicker and it bothers them.

Other flashlights are current-controlled to produce multiple output modes -- this is more expensive but works better and doesn't have the flicker.

Buck/boost circuits, as I understand them, increase or reduce the voltage output of the power source. This is separate from PWM or current control circuits.

#283806 - 02/18/17 09:20 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I've had the same experience as Russ using TerraLUX replacement bulbs in my 4 C & D and 2D Maglites.

#283826 - 02/20/17 04:21 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Quietly_Learning Offline

I also have a positive experience with TerraLux. I have been using a replacement bulb in my mini mag for years. It throws a strong bright light and I have had no problems with it.

#283830 - 02/20/17 11:58 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

this is something i have been thinking about for awhile.
are these EDC,pocket survival kits and so on more for
their convenience items or real "survival"?
both I guess in the long run but unless you have these items
sealed away for the day you need them I would think they
would get used up,lost or wear out.i read about using big high
quality dog biscuits in a 10 essentials climbing kit so you
would not dip into it for a snack making it a survival kit
and not a snack bag.

#283831 - 02/21/17 02:18 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My fear is that gear and food in an emergency only kit will fail or go bad at the moment it's most needed. I prefer pocket carry user gear to emergency only kits. I rotate snacks through so they're always fresh, gear is upgraded and batteries don't go bad.

#283836 - 02/21/17 07:57 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

snacks are important EDC in my house; In fact snacks and water get the most use

#283849 - 02/22/17 10:08 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I bought a Mini MAGLITE (to be carried on my belt), hand sanitizing wipes and Coppertone SPORT Sunscreen Stick.

https://www.coppertone.com/products/sport/stick/stick/

The sunscreen stick does fit in the side pocket but, being a stick applicant, it feels waxy. I need to find something small that does not feel waxy.

To further test drive my new bag, I carried it with me as I took a walk and discovered a different sort of problem: I'm out of shape. I walked all the time when I lived in the big city and stopped when I moved here.

Therefore, starting yesterday, I walked around the block a few times to get prepared physically.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.