The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#254369 - 12/07/12 12:52 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: GoatMan]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GoatMan
So is the consensus that an InReach as reliable as a standard PLB in an emergency, assuming good batteries?

Depends on the circumstances. Overall, the PLB is extremely reliable. The jury is still out on the inReach, just not enough data. Certianly they have numerous saves to their credit and you balance any potentially lesser reliability with the ability to use it to two-way communicate and have to balance that. My recommendation to clients at this juncture is always carry a PLB as back-up, Given the small size and modest cost, not a big problem for most. If you can afford the inReach subscription, you can afford the PLB back-up
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#254374 - 12/07/12 02:36 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
...The current generation PLBs require them to be sent to a service center for battery replacement. Having said that, nobody is ever going to do that ... Nobody is going to replace the battery after six years.

As long as we are giving opinions - IMHO This statement is false. I send in my PLB's back to the manufacturer and have them replaced every five (5) years. If you actually use the PLB's and your life depends on them, you would be an idiot to not maintain these and ANY SURVIVAL/RESCUE equipment.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#254375 - 12/07/12 02:42 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ponder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ponder -- I think what Doug is saying is that no one will replace the battery in an older PLB when the newer models are smaller and more reliable. They won't replace the batteries, they'll get a new PLB.

That said, the ACR ResQLink is pretty small and I'd need a fairly compelling reason to replace it with a newer smaller unit rather than simply replace the batteries.

#254378 - 12/07/12 05:53 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The non-user replaceable battery is part of the legal standard.

Sorry, but that is not correct. There are aspects of the standard that make it a bit of a challenge to have a user replaceable battery given how small the latest units are, but it could be done, technically. It would certainly add size and weight, and cost as well. The first generation McMurdo PLB, much larger than the current generation, had a user replaceable battery pack. No real reason, see my prior response, to do that today or going forward. Size and weight are king

Good to know! I guess I misunderstood that; I thought the reason they didn't have replaceable batteries was legal.

#254386 - 12/07/12 04:38 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Saw this on ACR's site:

"If you use it...we'll replace it, Free of Charge. Simply submit your story, send us back your used beacon so we can have it mounted on our Wall of Fame and we'll send you a brand new beacon of equal or greater value."

Nice!

The ACR site has this user report where a solo hiker used his PLB to call for help after getting snowed in. I noticed something interesting in the associated SAR report that caught my eye:

"The Tulare County Sheriff Search and Rescue Team requested Kern County's assistance in locating the hiker. He had been activating his portable locator beacon every hour since Friday night."

I thought the accepted practice was to turn on the PLB and leave it on, not cycle it. Thoughts?

#254389 - 12/07/12 05:23 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Uh, yeah. You leave it on.

#254390 - 12/07/12 05:40 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
any chance of a no frills,one button SOS PLB in the works for under $100?

I actually just ran into such a deal ... Radioworld.ca has some McMurdo Fast Find 210's on clearance for $99. However, I didn't see any reference to them shipping outside of Canada so I don't know if non-Canadians could have access to this deal as well.

It looks like they are older stock and have an expiry date of 07/15. But even with only a 3 year's of life left, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

#254393 - 12/07/12 06:12 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: Denis]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
any chance of a no frills,one button SOS PLB in the works for under $100?

I actually just ran into such a deal ... Radioworld.ca has some McMurdo Fast Find 210's on clearance for $99. However, I didn't see any reference to them shipping outside of Canada so I don't know if non-Canadians could have access to this deal as well.

It looks like they are older stock and have an expiry date of 07/15. But even with only a 3 year's of life left, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

PLBS are Country Coded, so an American could not register that PLB in the U.S., PLBs are a dated item so anything more than a month or so old, should be discounted. More than a year old, significantly discounted, as we see here.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#254394 - 12/07/12 06:16 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ponder]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ponder
...The current generation PLBs require them to be sent to a service center for battery replacement. Having said that, nobody is ever going to do that ... Nobody is going to replace the battery after six years.

As long as we are giving opinions - IMHO This statement is false. I send in my PLB's back to the manufacturer and have them replaced every five (5) years. If you actually use the PLB's and your life depends on them, you would be an idiot to not maintain these and ANY SURVIVAL/RESCUE equipment.

Sorry, can't imagine why you would do that. You are going to spend 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new PLB, better in most all respects, to keep around an outdated PLB. Like trying to keep an old cell phone working after 4-5 years. That you can do it doesn't mean it makes much sense. But, different strokes.

My recommendation to anyone is upgrade to the latest PLB when your battery reaches it's expiration date.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#254403 - 12/07/12 09:14 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I have to agree with Doug on this one. I gave a couple of PLBs to boaters that needed them with specific directions that they would need to replace the battery soon. Replacing the battery was a do-able expense for someone who had never owned one before and was unaware of the smaller size, expanded capability units. I found out that de-registering a PLB was quite easy. And if you give one away, you definitely want to do that. Similarly, if you loan your PLB out, be sure you have sufficient information from the borrower to attempt to make contact them if it is activated and you receive a call from the authorities.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.