Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#283755 - 02/13/17 10:03 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: Teslinhiker]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

During the live feed, they had a reporter who was on scene of a very busy gas station. It would come as no surprise to members here, that the people affected were not prepared in any way and were waiting for substantial amounts of time to fuel their vehicles before leaving the area.

That's almost cliché. During any large evacuation, there will be lines at ATMs and gas stations around the evacuation zone.

Getting extra cash and gas is usually one of my first step when preparing for a possible emergency. If I need it, great. If I don't need it, I won't need to visit the ATM for a while.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283756 - 02/13/17 10:09 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Keeping the lower half of my gas tank for emergencies means I can drive 150+ miles before I need to fill the tank. "Don't stop at the top of the escalator."

#283760 - 02/13/17 11:08 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: Mark_R]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

During the live feed, they had a reporter who was on scene of a very busy gas station. It would come as no surprise to members here, that the people affected were not prepared in any way and were waiting for substantial amounts of time to fuel their vehicles before leaving the area.

That's almost cliché. During any large evacuation, there will be lines at ATMs and gas stations around the evacuation zone.

IMO, It's not cliche, more like unprepared. This dam has been in declining condition all week and I first seen the reports on the 7th. By the 9th, the problems were with the dam were widely reported but it was not until this weekend that the danger was raised to imminent and the reason for the evacuation.

I am sure there will be a lot of armchair quarterbacking on why the call for evac was not done sooner etc. However the fact that the dam had sustained damage earlier in the week, would have been cause for me to start preparing then and not wait until the last minute which is all too often the case for those without a preparedness mindset- no matter the disaster.

BTW, my early interest in this dam and evac is because we have old friends in that area, but they are upstream and in no danger.

John Lubbock

#283761 - 02/13/17 11:18 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Keeping the lower half of my gas tank for emergencies means I can drive 150+ miles before I need to fill the tank. "Don't stop at the top of the escalator."

Exactly. We store anywhere from 20-30 gallons of gas. In theory and in the event of an evac, with the truck tank full at 32 gallons and 30 gallons in Jerry cans, this gives a range of over a thousand miles.

To put this in perspective. If we were in the Oroville CA area and depending on traffic etc, we could drive without refueling to any of these major USA centers without a refueling.
Seattle WA
Denver CO
Phoenix AR
Albuquerque NM
Jackson Wy
Boise ID

Needless to say it would take an unheard of and massive western regional disaster event where in a 1000-1200 mile range, that one could not find fuel.

John Lubbock

#283762 - 02/14/17 01:05 AM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Living in earthquake country, I try to never drop below one half tank. And that is in a case where my preference would be to bug in if there should be a damaging shaker.

I doubt you would need much fuel to get beyond the confines of the watershed affected by the Oroville situation. Just be sure you sleep high.

#283764 - 02/14/17 06:07 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Wildman and others..yes and we saw the photos of the bashed up cars,a lot of panic there.without making a joke out of this it must of been like a scene from a old movie where the guy runs
down main street shouting "the dam busting head for the hills"
I get the impression that it was the same thing.people were given the impression that at any moment the spillway was going to fail when from the looks of the guys in the yellow jackets standing around that was not the case.
another thing is the car wrecks.even if you were all prepped up
and on the way to you planned safe area how about the next guy who is driving like a fool.did the police have a traffic control
plan? just think about it will be like when the Big One hits.
I hope someone holds some "lessons learned" meetings.

#283767 - 02/14/17 10:54 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

John Lubbock

#283768 - 02/14/17 11:44 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I wonder:

Will anyone prep up in the event these rain predictions create an even more serious repeat of a no notice evacuation?

Will anyone decide never to be caught in such a situation totally unprepared, again?

Is anyone going to be suspicious of what their state agencies release to the public, and how warnings are worded?

#283769 - 02/14/17 11:45 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
An evacuation order for communities near the Oroville Dam was reduced to an evacuation warning at 1 p.m. PT Tuesday, allowing residents to return, according to a statement from the Butte County Sheriff's Office.

"[H]owever all residents are advised to remain vigilant and prepared as conditions can rapidly change. People who have special needs or require extended time to evacuate should consider remaining evacuated," the statement said.

It sounds like the danger isn't past, but it's down below panic levels. If I were in that situation, I would seriously consider packing up my household and re-evacuating to higher ground until the evacuation warning was lifted

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283773 - 02/15/17 05:40 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: wildman800]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Wild, if just half of the people do something in the way of prep that would be a plus coming out of this mess.
even if folks 100's miles away are encouraged to set a box of food and water aside that would be something.
from what i read about that local town it sounds like things are not going very well.spending for emergency gear might be out of reach and i'll bet it's like that for more people than we think.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.