The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#283733 - 02/13/17 03:59 AM Dam Overflow
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm sure we have all seen about the dam overflow and just now I read that the roads are jammed by people fleeing town.
if anyone asks if a BOB is a silly thing to have ready show
them this.

#283734 - 02/13/17 04:36 AM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you live downstream from a dam you should have a plan and a BOB. The path of a hugely destructive dam failure is just an easy bike ride from me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis_Dam

Pictures of the destruction are very sobering....

#283736 - 02/13/17 06:13 AM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm downstream from a dam. How do I prep for this? It seems like perhaps I need to figure out whether my house will be flooded, and which roads will be flooded (so I can plan my escape). How would I do this? I know topographical maps exist, but I wouldn't know how to estimate flood trajectory and inundation level.

Edited by Bingley (02/13/17 06:37 AM)

#283737 - 02/13/17 10:43 AM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: Bingley]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm downstream from a dam. How do I prep for this? It seems like perhaps I need to figure out whether my house will be flooded, and which roads will be flooded (so I can plan my escape). How would I do this? I know topographical maps exist, but I wouldn't know how to estimate flood trajectory and inundation level.

Hi,
you shouldn't need to do any flood estimations,
your local government, dam/city/county/state/country,
should have published inundation maps specific to dams,
there should also be some evacuation plans,
years back I checked and if I recall correctly
hazards.fema.gov
didn't have dam data
I watched the tv news report on the hole opening ,
two people hiking and called it in,
stayed to watch, and then for the interview,
I thought it was a good time to pack and review/check plans,
then later the hole is reported as 200 foot
I thought a good time to inquire about hotel reservations smile
and check road conditions with google and other sites
naturally the tv news just marveled at the spectacle,
until the evacuation was called no real thoughts of preparation were hinted at, only the potential for disaster , fear sells
after catching that on the news, I either read or heard about a resident new to the area returning a reverse 911 call to ask for driving directions to a hotel,
I thought whoa, I would never think of that ...
then a minute later I remembered I'm exausted and sleepy
but despite that , stop/think/observe/plan, it works
regarding road conditions, I checked for highway flooding for the first time last week, spent a good half hour trying to decide if the hazard report meant the highway was blocked or just the exit that was flooded,
and no I wasn't sleepy then

#283738 - 02/13/17 12:26 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
188,000 people evacuated and Oroville dam was expected to fail.
Interesting article, it reads like an ongoing situation summary. Apparently the dam had been expected to fail, possibly losing 30' (vertical) of spillway which would have put towns downstream underwater. However...
Quote:
...Water flow over spillway stopped

State officials say the water spilling over the Oroville Dam’s emergency spillway has stopped as the lake level dropped low enough.

At 8:45 p.m. the lake level fell below the lip of the auxiliary spillway for the first time since Saturday and “the flowing has stopped,”said Department of Water Resources spokesman Doug Carlson. ...
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

There's another good read at: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132356269.html

Edited by Russ (02/13/17 01:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#283739 - 02/13/17 02:13 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My local county has an official "hazards map" which lists and maps areas subject to severe earthquake shaking,liquifaction zones (also EQ related), 100 year and 500 year flood areas, regions subject to tsunami inundation, and similar goodies.

In most jurisdictions, I believe there is a requirement to inform prospective buyers if the land is within a 100 year flood zone

#283742 - 02/13/17 03:04 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#283745 - 02/13/17 06:45 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm coming across accounts that point that many if not most people were taken by surprise when immediate mandatory evacuation order was given. Apparently many folks put their family into the car and took off with what they were wearing, carrying, and whatever they had in their vehicle.

Anybody else picking up on this?

#283752 - 02/13/17 09:41 PM Re: Dam Overflow [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
My local county has an official "hazards map" which lists and maps areas subject to severe earthquake shaking,liquifaction zones (also EQ related), 100 year and 500 year flood areas, regions subject to tsunami inundation, and similar goodies.

In most jurisdictions, I believe there is a requirement to inform prospective buyers if the land is within a 100 year flood zone

One of the things I had to sign when buying my house was an acknowledgment of assessed hazards (earthquakes, fires, floods, aviation, etc.).

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283753 - 02/13/17 09:43 PM Re: Oroville Dam Overflow [Re: wildman800]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I'm coming across accounts that point that many if not most people were taken by surprise when immediate mandatory evacuation order was given. Apparently many folks put their family into the car and took off with what they were wearing, carrying, and whatever they had in their vehicle.

Anybody else picking up on this?

Laat night, I watched a live Youtube feed that a person was re-streaming from a local TV news station (KRCR.)

Interesting to see events in real time and a the sharp contrast of how the news was being presented earlier today (lots of misinformation but that is perhaps another discussion later.)

During the live feed, they had a reporter who was on scene of a very busy gas station. It would come as no surprise to members here, that the people affected were not prepared in any way and were waiting for substantial amounts of time to fuel their vehicles before leaving the area.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.