Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#283689 - 02/08/17 09:11 PM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: Fyrediver]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
Responding to alarms for a living has given me a lot of experience on the topic. If there IS a significant fire you'll be outside for a VERY long time, most likely counted in days not hours.

That changes the equation a lot. I always assumed that we would be let back in after a few (2-3) hours to retrieve our belongings. With several days, the requirements change from near EDC to closer to a true bug-out situation. Cash, medications, travel and ID documents, etc.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283698 - 02/09/17 07:29 AM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: chaosmagnet]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
...I also leave a flashlight on in ultralow mode on the dresser where I set the contents of my pockets...

To find my stuff and to evacuate quickly I put strips or circles of the 24 hr glow in the dark tape:

https://www.findtape.com/JVCC-GLW-24-Ultra-Premium-Glow-in-the-Dark-Tape/p426/?cid=18&idx=26&tid=1&info=Safety%2520%2526%2520Glow%2520Tape

And a microprismatic retroreflective tape:

https://www.findtape.com/shop/results.aspx?keywords=Reflective+

(The microprismatic tapes reflect much brighter than standard reflective tapes. (I've experimented and there is a big difference between the two types.))

On my flashlights/headlights, keys, and anything else I need to find quickly in the dark. (Including the door and light switch)

I cut the circles either with a 3 hole sized punch or with a 1/2" or 1" craft store hole puncher.

The items get placed under the light of my home nightstand or the furniture in the hotel nearest the bed with a light. They will glow all night with a few minutes under the light.

Once I grab the flashlight/headlight I can shine the light around and everything pops out at me. The circles on the door and light switch are removed and reused with double-sided tape.

Standard disclaimer: happy customer only. I bought the glow tape from them. I have lots of different reflective tapes from multiple sources.

#283703 - 02/10/17 01:27 AM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: Fyrediver]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
If there IS a significant fire you'll be outside for a VERY long time, most likely counted in days not hours.

In my most recent situation I had car keys, a car with a great heater and a tank of gas, and a credit card. I'd have been in a new hotel room quite quickly laugh.

#283704 - 02/10/17 01:41 PM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: Quietly_Learning]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great idea, QL! Thanks for sharing it! I've been working on making new reflective lanyards for key items, but a glow in the dark dot will work better for some things, and wouldn't hurt any of them.

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning

To find my stuff and to evacuate quickly I put strips or circles of the 24 hr glow in the dark tape:

https://www.findtape.com/JVCC-GLW-24-Ultra-Premium-Glow-in-the-Dark-Tape/p426/?cid=18&idx=26&tid=1&info=Safety%2520%2526%2520Glow%2520Tape

And a microprismatic retroreflective tape:

https://www.findtape.com/shop/results.aspx?keywords=Reflective+

(The microprismatic tapes reflect much brighter than standard reflective tapes. (I've experimented and there is a big difference between the two types.))

On my flashlights/headlights, keys, and anything else I need to find quickly in the dark. (Including the door and light switch)

I cut the circles either with a 3 hole sized punch or with a 1/2" or 1" craft store hole puncher.

The items get placed under the light of my home nightstand or the furniture in the hotel nearest the bed with a light. They will glow all night with a few minutes under the light.

Once I grab the flashlight/headlight I can shine the light around and everything pops out at me. The circles on the door and light switch are removed and reused with double-sided tape.

Standard disclaimer: happy customer only. I bought the glow tape from them. I have lots of different reflective tapes from multiple sources.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283707 - 02/10/17 02:33 PM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
If there IS a significant fire you'll be outside for a VERY long time, most likely counted in days not hours.

In my most recent situation I had car keys, a car with a great heater and a tank of gas, and a credit card. I'd have been in a new hotel room quite quickly laugh.
It seems that if you have your clothes layed out and prepared (pocket carry in place) and you have a light of any kind to get dressed efficiently, and then just grab your hotel go-bag, a hotel evacuation could be taken in stride. Gone before the firetrucks arrive? Probably not.

Which got me thinking about my choice in luggage. From a hotel stay perspective, what does a go-bag look like? Samsonite with wheels? Backpack? Carry-on or bigger?

#283713 - 02/11/17 12:35 AM Re: Hotel Fire [Re: chaosmagnet]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
In my case, my go bag may be my 135LBS handicapped daughter. It has happened once before.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.