Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#283668 - 02/06/17 07:25 PM Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm making a list...And its a doozy. All the ridiculous things I seen in people's EDC, go bags, GHB and other kits. What have you seen that defies logic or good sense?

TRO

ps my list to follow

#283673 - 02/06/17 11:23 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Oh jeeze. I am probably going to resemble some of these remarks. Here's one that takes the chaosmagnet Ridiculousness Prize for Bulk and Weight:

My car emergency kit contains a pair of very large Channellock pliers...which I've used at the roadside to fix the hood latch of my car, another time to help pull part of my car off after a wreck so it wouldn't drag when I drove to the body shop, and for "emergency" riding toy repair at a friend's house.

#283675 - 02/07/17 03:41 AM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'd say the Channellocks have earned their place. As have the 10" vise-grips in my car kit (with a set of 5" to keep them company) that I would not drive off the yard without. You would not believe the problems you can solve with those two (farm boy talkin' here).

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/07/17 03:43 AM)

#283679 - 02/07/17 07:01 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Same here. Channel lock pliers are part of the "Big 5" that are the core of most tool kits.

Large channel lock pliers
Small slip joint or needle nose pliers
Adjustable large crescent wrench or large vise grips
Bit driver
Hammer

As far as egregious overpacking, it tends to be duplicate knives, lights, fire, and weapons. I've seen way to many EDC's with keychain MT, full size lock knife, a full size MT, keychain light, CR123 tactical light, flint striker, windproof lighter, tactical pen, and a Glock.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283680 - 02/07/17 09:49 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, my favorite EDC's have 4-6 sharps, 100' of paracord and a fishing kit..for on campus...

#283681 - 02/07/17 10:35 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Nothing that I would call ridiculous, my EDC is pocket carry, no room for superfluous gear. I've downsized my carry -- wallet, keys, cell phone, SAK Spartan, folding/collapsible scissors, 1xAAA light. That's it.

Everything else is in the truck, that's a serious kit with lots of redundancy, largish FAK and a real tool box -- but I can't call that EDC. Even what I used to call my EDC backpack is staying in the truck these days. I EDC minimal gear that I use daily, the idea being that in my situation I can always get to the truck.

#283682 - 02/08/17 02:01 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Honestly, and without trying to spark debate, I'm still sometimes taken aback by the need for guns & ammo for a little run to the corner store, but I get that that's a cultural thing. Multiple knives probably fits into this category for me too, but I have been guilty of that myself a time or twelve. wink

I try not to judge other people too harshly, but two things that always make me tilt my head and think "HUH?" when I see them in people's EDC are handcuffs and lock pick kits. They just seem too far fetched to me, but to each his own.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283683 - 02/08/17 03:17 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Being in western CA, much like northern CA where you call home, carrying a handgun is not an option for me. However, were it an option and I felt the need was real, then I'd carry as a routine, because once you start making exceptions and rationalize not carrying such as, "it's just a 5 minute run to Walmart", that's when you will realize the parking lot at Walmart isn't the safest place. So you carry all the time.

My limited/reduced carry is strictly for the benign environment I'm in now and the limitations I impose on me (I don't go shopping at night). Take the SAK for example; I'd found myself using a Benchmade 710 (awesome 3.9" blade) for utility cutting while out shopping, stuff my SAK Spartan does well with its small blade -- so I traded the 710 for a Spartan. I can add the BM 710 or RSK Mk1 to my pocket easily, but why carry gear that has never been needed in predominantly suburbia, when something more sociably acceptable does the job better. Just because why? Rhetorical Q, but I don't carry a fire kit in SOCAL either; it's all in the truck.

Everybody has their individual carry requirements and it may be situational or simply personal preference; I don't care, why should I judge. That said, the guy who goes hiking with just the gear I carry daily would be irresponsible imo. There are advantages to having a truck or a car with a big trunk, but that advantage does not extend to a hiking path where things can go south very quickly.

$.02, YMMV

#283685 - 02/08/17 07:17 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the latest -- 100' of climbing rope. and both 265 to 1,100 rounds. (1 bullet = 1 round)

Edited by TeacherRO (02/09/17 04:57 AM)

#283688 - 02/08/17 08:50 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
the latest -- 100' of climbing rope. and both 265 & 1,100 rounds.

First dumb question: What are 265 & 1,100 rounds?
Second: Why climbing rope? I normally have some type of utility line on me, but why 8-9KN climbing rope

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.