Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#283618 - 02/01/17 12:46 AM ice grippers
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
just a quick thought,while working my way along some really icy places at the local off leash dog park today it came to me that these would be handy for creek crossing.
the ones with the square metal nubs seem to work better than the coils.kept in a BOB they would be helpful in crossing over slippery rocks or working a tide line for food.
i'm thinking about taking them along on my next canoe trip for the times I have to wade the boat down shallow rapids.

#283630 - 02/01/17 03:25 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
having owned a good number of these, if you plan on only using them outdoors (because they damage floors) and/or on thick ice, i'd suggest more serious grippers: Kahtoola MicroSpikes

https://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MicroSpikes-Traction-System-Red/dp/B0010RHW2G/

#283638 - 02/02/17 05:17 AM Re: ice grippers [Re: wileycoyote]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
if you plan on only using them outdoors

I'd hope you only use them outdoors. If you need them indoors, I would consider turning up your heat a little!

#283639 - 02/02/17 05:31 AM Re: ice grippers [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I had a cheap pair of these type of grippers once. The problem I ran into, was that while they made me feel more stable on ice, they also made me feel less stable on bare concrete. Around here, we tend to go from icy patches to bare concrete. That, and it got to be a hassle putting them on and taking them off all the time. I didn't want to put them on inside, so I did it out on the front porch. Walked down the bare concrete stairs feeling less secure. On to the icy driveway where they were good, into the car where I didn't feel good about wearing them (thought it would tear up the accelerator and brake). Then through the icy parking lot to the store, take them off to go inside the store. You get the picture.

If you were in situations where you would be keeping them on for a long time I think they would be good. But I rapidly abandoned them in the suburban environment.

To canoedog's point - I think they would be very good while mucking around in water with a canoe. When I was younger I canoed a lot. And I DO remember those slippery rocks while dragging canoes through shallow areas. Many many slips and trips doing that!

#283641 - 02/02/17 02:29 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: haertig]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
if you plan on only using them outdoors

I'd hope you only use them outdoors. If you need them indoors, I would consider turning up your heat a little!

haw haw laugh

in reality, even putting them on next to the front door left huge holes in the floor, as did putting them on standing while on the deck.

so what we have now is an old sheet of plywood laying on the deck where we can step right off onto the snow/ice.

#283642 - 02/02/17 04:06 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: CANOEDOGS]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
A cheap alternative for semi permanent use.

https://blog.owareusa.com/tag/running-shoes-for-ice/

(not good for wood floors. Wearing your caulks in the dining hall would bring the camp cookie to toss out your victuals and spit in the skillet.)

#283643 - 02/02/17 06:07 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Looks pretty sketchy......

#283649 - 02/03/17 05:29 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: CANOEDOGS]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
another link

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Also used by Brian Robinson on the first triple crown hike in a year of the the App. Crest and Divide trails.

#283651 - 02/03/17 07:24 PM Re: ice grippers [Re: CANOEDOGS]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Anchorage often gets very icy in the winter. Most years we get one or more thaw episodes, during which the snow partially melts, then turns to ice when inevitably it gets cold again. Some years the whole town seems to become one big skating rink. frown

For casual around town use, such as walking the dog, my wife and I both use "Icebugs". We like the METRO BUGrip model. They work great. Icebug also makes a variety of other models, including running shoes. (Note: DO NOT walk on your hardwood floor with these!)

For really cold weather, or more serious hiking in icy conditions we like Kahtoola Microspikes, which were mentioned up thread. I have the extra large size, which will fit over my pac boots.

Based on personal experience, I highly recommend both products. All the usual disclaimers, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.