Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#283579 - 01/29/17 04:46 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Nifty idea, but in addition to be picked by a thief or vandal, I'd worry about the lock mechanism freezing or corroding. smirk

Slightly off topic; always keep your locks lubed with a lock specific spray/lube. Keeps them from corroding and smooth.

Seems plenty of seized locks, which caused mayor frustration. But have or could have been fixed with a little lube.

#283594 - 01/29/17 09:12 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Nifty idea, but in addition to be picked by a thief or vandal, I'd worry about the lock mechanism freezing or corroding. smirk

I read some Amazon reviews and corrosion or dirt in the lock or sides of the unit were the biggest reasons for low scores. Numerous people said they couldn't remove the cover or pull out the unit to use the hitch. It had a greater number of positive feedback but I'm skeptical.

I couldn't find how secure the combination lock is. It looks like a luggage style lock and those can be opened with minimal practice.

I would look to finding a different location on your vehicle.

Is your key small enough to fit in a prescription bottle to keep it from breaking? I've also seen a number of containers in dollar stores a key could be slipped into.

#283598 - 01/30/17 01:06 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Quietly_Learning]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
I couldn't find how secure the combination lock is. It looks like a luggage style lock and those can be opened with minimal practice.

Hi,
if there is no rating listed,
you can safely assume its unrated,
like dollar store locks, great for gymsocks smile
ok look "ul rated hitch safe" yields this Mesa Safe All Steel MHK1 0.2 cu. Ft. Ca...k - Sam's Club

#283600 - 01/30/17 07:59 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Hi,
if there is no rating listed,
you can safely assume its unrated,
like dollar store locks, great for gymsocks smile
ok look "ul rated hitch safe" yields this Mesa Safe All Steel MHK1 0.2 cu. Ft. Ca...k - Sam's Club

Well that stands out quite a bit.

What is commonly used are the 'surf keysafes', which are generally the keysafe's shaped as giant padlocks. Then attached to somewhere hidden on the car. I use it for occasions certain occasions, but never leave it attached.

#283601 - 01/30/17 01:35 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Quietly_Learning]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Is your key small enough to fit in a prescription bottle to keep it from breaking? I've also seen a number of containers in dollar stores a key could be slipped into.

My thinking too. I found a small tupperwear/rubbermaid container that's just the right size to protect that little fob. Thanks! I had a non-chipped key cut on the weekend too, that I can carry on my body, without worry or it getting smashed or going for a dunk. wink

Edited by bacpacjac (01/30/17 01:37 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283716 - 02/11/17 03:00 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
When I lived in Dallas, an unexpected overnighter was actually common. In my bag I had what I needed to sustain me for a minimum of twenty-four hours.

I had my bag on my person all the time, even when I go to a store. As you can imagine, it was a big bag.

This week on our trip I considered a way to reduce my gear while having everything I absolutely needed on my person.

I put a plan together and got a smaller bag.

The bag I now have has a large compartment and a small side pocket.

In the large compartment I have food and an 8 oz bottle of water.

In the side pocket I have my prescription medication, a modified Ultrilalight .3, bottle of aspirin, Kleenex Pocket Pack, lip balm and a protein bar in addition to the food I have in the large compartment.

Adjustments may be required.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283789 - 02/17/17 06:01 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

I moved the protein bar to the large compartment, saving me space to put the EMT sheers in the side pocket.

Today I bought a 3 oz tube of sunscreen. It fits in the side pocket, barely. The side pocket is a bit crowded so I need to find an even smaller size sunscreen.

I'm currently without a flashlight. I considered the MAGLITE Solitaire.

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKczxhB7Jmo

After seeing what the 3 oz tube of sunscreen did to the space in the side pocket, I considered either the Mini MAGLITE or the Mini MAGLITE PRO.

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKcz5xB7Jmo
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKc0NBB7Jmo

Both come with a belt holster, therefore I have another EDC option.

After test-driving it a few times, I'm happy with the smaller bag. It certainly is better organized. I just need to find smaller sunscreen.

There's a side note to this wordy post. I have my tool of choice: EMT sheers. As I looked at flashlights, I looked at emergency and survival tools. Whatever I get has to fit my needs.

Disclaimer: I have no association with MAGLITE other than I'm a fan. When the time comes, the mortician would need to put a MAGLITE in casket with me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283792 - 02/17/17 06:44 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Reading the specs for the minimag and the Pro,I am surprised that they specify alkaline batteries. Surely they can accept NiMH rechargeables (Eneloops)?

If they can't, and one is restrictedto alkalines, that would be a deal breaker for me.....

#283794 - 02/17/17 07:09 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

Know from experience MAGLITE runs on lithium. Haven't tried NiMh.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283795 - 02/17/17 07:42 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
On the mini-Maglite spec sheet there's a field for "Power Management" and the answer is "No". What does "Power Management" mean? Does that encompass voltage regulation? If a battery starts at a Lithium primary 1.8 volts all may be okay, just running hot; at a NiMH 1.2 volts you may be close to where the light doesn't have enough volts to operate. Don't know... what does "Power Management" entail.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.